The 2022 NHL Draft Thread v4 (Coyotes have #3 pick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
^^^

3 weeks. Quite the curveball (knuckle puck?) for Coyotes fans.

It's a sign.

3: Three weeks away instead of 2.
2: Two weeks is the deadline AZ fans are most used to. Also the amount of teams that would need to move up to move AZ to 3.
3 + 2 = 5. The spot AZ will finish after the lotto after winning 5 of our last 6 games.

Arizona will pick 5th.

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
It's a sign.

3: Three weeks away instead of 2.
2: Two weeks is the deadline AZ fans are most used to. Also the amount of teams that would need to move up to move AZ to 3.
3 + 2 = 5. The spot AZ will finish after the lotto after winning 5 of our last 6 games.

Arizona will pick 5th.
Yikes! let's hope you forgot to carry a 1 or something in your amateur numerology.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Just did a quick mock draft using my ever so tentative draft list. We lost the lotteries before everyone panics but here’s my picks going by my list:

D Nemec
D Chelsey
D Korchinski
RW Firkas
D Bischel
C Ingram
D Pickering

Very D heavy. We would never do that but man would that set us up on D for years to come.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
If anyone gets the chance to check out Jani Nyman.. I recommend it... Late July birthday too
Should hopefully be available with one of the many late first/early second rounders

Reactions: behemolari

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Just did a quick mock draft using my ever so tentative draft list. We lost the lotteries before everyone panics but here’s my picks going by my list:

D Nemec
D Chelsey
D Korchinski
RW Firkas
D Bischel
C Ingram
D Pickering

Very D heavy. We would never do that but man would that set us up on D for years to come.
Love all your picks. Except Ingram. Don’t like him much. Only seen a handful of his USHL games, so maybe I’ve got a bad sample.

I wouldn’t mind taking that many blueliners. Our prospect depth at that position is dismal. And I believe Chychrun is on the way out. So it’s a bit scary.

It’s harder but I recommend running both sims at the same time and restricting yourself to only picking guys available on both lists. More fun in that it’s more challenging and you don’t feel like you’re getting away with something every pick. Haha.

EDIT: 5/14 - Cant send DM to self - so just storing my updated list here, my first post in this thread. Ease of access without making anyone read the whole thing:

1. Shane Wright C OHL
2. Juraj Slafkovsky W Liiga
3. Logan Cooley C USHL
4. Simon Nemec RD SVK
5. David Jiricek RD Extraliga
6. Matthew Savoie C WHL
7. Cutter Gauthier C USHL
8. Conor Geekie C WHL
9. Frank Nazar C USHL
10. Joakim Kemell W Liiga
11. Denton Mateychuk LD WHL
12. Pavel Mintyukov LD OHL
13. Marco Kasper C SHL
14. Rutger McGroarty W USHL
15. Danila Yurov W MHL
16. Brad Lambert W Liiga
17. Ryan Chesley RD USHL
18. Lian Bichsel LD SHL
19. Nathan Gaucher C QMJHL
20. Jiri Kulich C Extraliga
21. Luca Del Bel Belluz C OHL
22. Liam Ohgren W SHL
23. Kevin Korchisnki LD WHL
24. Mats Lindgren LD WHL
25. Owen Pickering LD WHL
26. Owen Beck C OHL
27. Ty Nelson RD OHL
28. Noah Ostlund C SHL
29. Isaac Howard W USHL
30. Jonathan Lekkerimaki W SHL
31. Filip Mesar W SVK
32. Jack Hughes C NCAA
33. Ivan Miroshnichenko W VHL
34. Matthew Seminoff W WHL
35. Noah Warren RD QMJHL
36. Tristan Luneau RD QMJHL
37. Gleb Trikozov W VHL
38. Alexander Perevalov W MHL
39. Matyas Sapovaliv C OHL
40. Filip Bystedt C SHL
41. Jagger Firkus W WHL
42. Servac Petrovsky C OHL
43. Danny Zhilkin C OHL
44. Calle Odelius LD SHL
45. Christian Kyrou RD OHL
46. Sam Rinzel RD USHL
47. Isaiah George LD OHL
48. Simon Forsmark LD SHL
49. Elias Salomonsson RD SHL
50. Maveric Lamoureaux RD QMJHL

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
If anyone gets the chance to check out Jani Nyman.. I recommend it... Late July birthday too
Should hopefully be available with one of the many late first/early second rounders
Huge kid. Absolutely destroying the Finnish AHL for a player his age. The next best U20 player has like half the points.

Reactions: behemolari

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Huge kid. Absolutely destroying the Finnish AHL for a player his age. The next best U20 player has like half the points.
Watch him play.. stats aren't even as impressive. Tons of videos on YouTube if that helps

And just to add to his stats.. he had 36 in 35. The next highest scorer on his team had 22 in 44
Had a very similar situation in the finnish U20
Also lead Finland in scoring at the hlinka with 7pts

Wasn't able to get much playing time in the liiga.. around 7 min a game typically

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Watch him play.. stats aren't even as impressive. Tons of videos on YouTube if that helps

And just to add to his stats.. he had 36 in 35. The next highest scorer on his team had 22 in 44
Had a very similar situation in the finnish U20
Also lead Finland in scoring at the hlinka with 7pts

Wasn't able to get much playing time in the liiga.. around 7 min a game typically
Skates and handles very well for a kid his size. Lots to like about this player.

rt

May 13, 2004
Did they make the 1OA odds even worse?
No. Everyone is just failing to understand that those are ONLY the odds of WINNING - and because of the ten spot move up cap you, there is a 7% chance of RETAINING 1st overall without actually WINNING it for the 32nd ranked team (1st lottery seed).

rt

May 13, 2004
Yotes 18.5%
Habs 13.5%
Philly 11.5%
Seattle 9.5%
Chicago 8.5% > CBJ (Jones Trade- top 2 protected)
Jersey 7.5%
Ottawa 6.5%
Buffalo 5%
Detroit 5%
San Jose 3.5%
Anaheim 3%
That’s for winning. There’s also a 7% shot of retaining due to the 10 spot move up max. The 1 seed (32nd team) has a 25.5% combined chance at winning OR simply retaining that pick.

To simplify this, if we finish last, we’ve got a one in four shot. If we finish second to last, we’ve got a one in eight shot. It’s VERY important to finish last and not second to last.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
That’s for winning. There’s also a 7% shot of retaining due to the 10 spot move up max. The 1 seed (32nd team) has a 25.5% combined chance at winning OR simply retaining that pick.

To simplify this, if we finish last, we’ve got a one in four shot. If we finish second to last, we’ve got a one in eight shot. It’s VERY important to finish last and not second to last.
Ironically, that is the measure of a tank season's success.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix

Yeah I should have stated that. I thought that's what the post before me was asking, which is why I posted those odds. And only those 11 teams can win it.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I complained recently about the lack of scouting videos on YouTube, but Scouching has shared it's first 3 videos (Kulich, Mesar and Duke) of the season in the past 3 days. I suppose he's going to be pumping them out now, which is bad news for my productivity.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
Well it looks like we will be picking at worst top 4. Would prefer a top 3 pick. Not sure if we can win another but who knows...

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
After spending a healthy amount of time watching Jiricek last night he is firmly ahead of Nemec for me. I think my top five is:
Wright
Slafkovsky
Jiricek
Cooley
Nemec

Jiricek and Cooley are tied but I don’t expect BA to draft Cooley due to size and his apparent allergy to the US development league so Jiricek gets the nudge. I’m not worried about Jiricek missing so much time between COVID and his injury this year because his raw tools are too good. He can always work on reps and improve his IQ (not that it is bad but he makes very risky decisions). He stands out in every clip I see. His skating is so unique that I think it will always set him apart. It’s frantic, it’s wild, it’s like those cartoons where the characters legs go in circles winding up and then they speed off. It seems to confuse other skaters too. It’s nearly impossible to predict where he is going to go because of it since he doesn't indicate directions through edgework, instead his feet kind of scramble around and then he ends up going in a different direction than predicted. It’s a little like PK’s stride, in fact PK may be the best comparable to Jiricek. The swagger, the offensive upside, the meanness. It's all there. He would be an amazing cornerstone for this rebuild. We have the perfect complimentary player for him too in JJ Moser. Moser is steady as they come and cool as a cucumber, where Jiricek skates around like his pants are on fire. Could be a true good cop / bad cop top pair.

Moser-Jiricek
Koly-Soda (another good cop / bad cop pair)
X-Mayo

That is much more appealing to me than Nemec in the same spot, although I wouldn't be disappointed to slot him into Jiricek's spot either. If we keep Chychrun he can be in Koly's spot and then we would have two very well rounded top pairs and two elite PP QBs. Wow.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
After spending a healthy amount of time watching Jiricek last night he is firmly ahead of Nemec for me. I think my top five is:
Wright
Slafkovsky
Jiricek
Cooley
Nemec

Jiricek and Cooley are tied but I don’t expect BA to draft Cooley due to size and his apparent allergy to the US development league so Jiricek gets the nudge. I’m not worried about Jiricek missing so much time between COVID and his injury this year because his raw tools are too good. He can always work on reps and improve his IQ (not that it is bad but he makes very risky decisions). He stands out in every clip I see. His skating is so unique that I think it will always set him apart. It’s frantic, it’s wild, it’s like those cartoons where the characters legs go in circles winding up and then they speed off. It seems to confuse other skaters too. It’s nearly impossible to predict where he is going to go because of it since he doesn't indicate directions through edgework, instead his feet kind of scramble around and then he ends up going in a different direction than predicted. It’s a little like PK’s stride, in fact PK may be the best comparable to Jiricek. The swagger, the offensive upside, the meanness. It's all there. He would be an amazing cornerstone for this rebuild. We have the perfect complimentary player for him too in JJ Moser. Moser is steady as they come and cool as a cucumber, where Jiricek skates around like his pants are on fire. Could be a true good cop / bad cop top pair.

Moser-Jiricek
Koly-Soda (another good cop / bad cop pair)
X-Mayo

That is much more appealing to me than Nemec in the same spot, although I wouldn't be disappointed to slot him into Jiricek's spot either. If we keep Chychrun he can be in Koly's spot and then we would have two very well rounded top pairs and two elite PP QBs. Wow.
Your top five is the same as mine. PK is an interesting comparison to Jiricek. I hope he turns out to be something closer to Pronger if we land him. Odds are against us getting Wright but I really hope we can land Slafkovsky or Jiricek. I'll only be pissed if we drop to four but even then we have a good chance at the other two. It's anyone's guess who Montreal picks after Wright. I'd bet $$ Armstrong has the same top three as us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad