Speculation: The 2022 Hockey World Championship Thread (Dahlin, Asplund, Cozens, Hayden)

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Don will not be lobbying for his guys due to the usual reasons (around the 8:00 minute mark), leaving it up to the Team USA GM (Ryan Martin).

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Haven't seen the invite anywhere. Do you have a link?

No. Just speculation on my part.

Although I do wonder what will happen with the WJC, especially if some kids have naturally aged out. Is the IIHF gonna have a “one time exemption” just so these countries don’t have to change their teams from what originally appeared, barring any injuries that would keep a player from it?

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Although I do wonder what will happen with the WJC, especially if some kids have naturally aged out. Is the IIHF gonna have a “one time exemption” just so these countries don’t have to change their teams from what originally appeared, barring any injuries that would keep a player from it?

Beyond even that, August is usually when most of these nations have their select camps to start narrowing the field for the next U20. Are they going to be doing that at the same time some of the same players are playing?

I know I lean toward just cancelling it rather than trying to shoehorn it in at this point.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Beyond even that, August is usually when most of these nations have their select camps to start narrowing the field for the next U20. Are they going to be doing that at the same time some of the same players are playing?

I know I lean toward just cancelling it rather than trying to shoehorn it in at this point.

Except you forget one thing: the IIHF cares more about the $$ from the tournament than they do each country growing the game. They’ll do their absolute best to make it happen, although personally I don’t care if they have it. Just write it down to “global emergency - no medals awarded” and move on.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Here's my predictions, assuming pending FAs don't go:

Canada: Power, Skinner?
USA: Tuch, Thompson
Latvia: Girgensons
Sweden: Dahlin, Asplund
Finland: Jokiharju

Mitts might, but I think he takes the summer off. Samuelsson could be a sneaky dark horse, but I'm betting Team USA has other options they'd go with.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Olofsson really wants to go, could probably get him to sign an extension quicker.

Samuelsson should change to Sweden now. It would be so weird having Kjell's son play for USA, I don't care about him growing up in america. On the ice his ass belongs to Sweden.

Imagine Roenick or Modano's kid play for Canada or something.

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
Here's my predictions, assuming pending FAs don't go:

Canada: Power, Skinner?
USA: Tuch, Thompson
Latvia: Girgensons
Sweden: Dahlin, Asplund
Finland: Jokiharju

Mitts might, but I think he takes the summer off. Samuelsson could be a sneaky dark horse, but I'm betting Team USA has other options they'd go with.
I think the opposite. With some many games he's missed this year, I feel like Mitts knows he should/needs to go and I bet meatballs is gonna advise him to go. Casey will benefit soo much from just getting more games under his belt especially in a tourny like that and Donny knows it.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I want zero of them to go. They looked gassed at them end here. Maybe send Bjork because I don't care if he gets hurt and hasn't played a full slate this year. Rousek maybe as well?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think the opposite. With some many games he's missed this year, I feel like Mitts knows he should/needs to go and I bet meatballs is gonna advise him to go. Casey will benefit soo much from just getting more games under his belt especially in a tourny like that and Donny knows it.

Don's already said he's not going to lobby guys to go or not go.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Eligibility is based on birth year, not birth date, so there is no aging out due to the delayed tournament.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Not sure what this means for any of the Sabres Canadian-born players and prospects but I like how Tourigny has the Coyotes playing most nights. Same with Smith in Ottawa (though my Brannstrom fandom is pained by what is happening to that player).

Abraham de Lacy

Not sure if this has been reported here. When Rasmus Dahlin was asked by Swedish media if he'd want to play for Sweden in the World Championship in Finland this year, his answer was:

I am very interested. If I'm asked I'll be on the next flight over to Finland. Without a doubt.

Apparently no formal request has been made. The same is probably true about Victor Olofsson and Rasmus Asplund. Source: Rasmus Dahlins besked: Vill spela VM - Hockeysverige – Mer av sporten du älskar

Last edited:
Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Joker looking forward to playing for Finland:

Post automatically merged:

Swedish posters indicating that Dahlin and Asplund have both been asked per a broadcast of their pre-tournament team today. We knew about Dahlin, interesting that Asplund may be invited.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad