Speculation: The 2021 RFA Class is loaded

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Seems fair on a long term deal. Can you imagine paying your RFA's as the highest paid player in the league and not getting term. That'd be a big yikes.
The Nucks are gunna pay big money for EP and he hasn't even separated himself from Eichel...let alone Matthews or McDavid. Enjoy that.

And oh btw....

Malkin
Crosby
Toews
Kane
Stamkos

all signed 5 year deals after their ELC...when you produce at the level that those guys and Matthews have that's typically the norm. EP hasn't reached that level yet.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Not one of these players will sign an offer sheet. If no one is offer-sheeting Tampa's guys right now, offer sheets aren't happening.

Also, Kotkaniemi definitely has potential and looked good in a short burst in the playoffs but including him on this list is a bit of a reach.

Do we really know if nobody offer sheeted Tampas guys?

Maybe they were offersheeted, but the player just never signed and it just wasn't reported.

I would not be surprised if a couple of offersheets had been made, but have not been reported because the player does not sign it.

Reactions: wintersej

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Edler will be back. He's a lifer here, and we'd be a fool if we think we can find as effective a player for what we will get him for.

If Seattle takes Roussel, power to everyone involved, but I feel Holtby will be the choice, even if another deal is needed to confirm that selection.

Right. He definitely seems attached at the hip to Vancouver. I'm not quite so certain though, after Tanev left (which seemed like he really didn't want to). You're probably right though, honestly

Regarding Holtby, I think it really depends on the year he has. I gather working with a guy like Ian Clark was a big draw (and Holtby didn't even have a FT goalie coach in recent years) so a bounce back season is possible. If he doesn't, I'd say it's pretty unlikely for Seattle to take him on as a cap dump... just too difficult to "hide" a goalie

The other factor will be the other goalies available, and I think Seattle will have quite a few other good options there. We shall see. I won't even try to predict em, it's too early and the Vegas draft went totally off the board (and was ridiculed, only to end up working out the way it did!)

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Right. He definitely seems attached at the hip to Vancouver. I'm not quite so certain though, after Tanev left (which seemed like he really didn't want to). You're probably right though, honestly

Regarding Holtby, I think it really depends on the year he has. I gather working with a guy like Ian Clark was a big draw (and Holtby didn't even have a FT goalie coach in recent years) so a bounce back season is possible. If he doesn't, I'd say it's pretty unlikely for Seattle to take him on as a cap dump... just too difficult to "hide" a goalie

The other factor will be the other goalies available, and I think Seattle will have quite a few other good options there. We shall see. I won't even try to predict em, it's too early and the Vegas draft went totally off the board (and was ridiculed, only to end up working out the way it did!)

Tanev was a bit of a surprise, but given how he has been for us regarding injuries (he was injured at the end of play in March, literally the last game), where Edler, while not injury free, has been more stable on our back end and has been here longer. His next contract could be his last, where as Tanev got his first big contract with his signing in Calgary.

Holtby, should he wash out, will be our problem. We are exposing him, but if he has a good season, I expect him to be selected based on who else we are likely to expose. Roussel? Beagle? I guess one of Juolevi or Lind or Gadjovich or who ever could emerge from Utica could be a good choice too, but the same condition applies: It really depends on the year he has.

I can try to predict, but I agree...there is so much that could change and go differently then what we have now. There are far better goalies out there, no doubt. As far as a duo goes though, I can't see a ton of teams that will have a better goalie exposed. Fleury, should he not be moved is one older possibility. Allen, DeSmith/Jarry, Stalock, Khudobin, Subban/Delia, Georgiev/Shesterkin, Korpisalo/Merzlikins and really those would be my locks for exposure assuming everyone stays where they are. Pittsburgh, Dallas, New York and Columbus have some good assets as secondary goalies, but 3 of them will have a much more unproven goalie exposed (no disrespect to any of them, I'd definitely be looking at one or two of them as a future starter if I were in charge of Seattle), and Khudobin from Dallas has would be my only real worry as a comparable for a "win now" goalie.. He is only being exposed because of Bishops NMC though, and that would be an untenable situation to go into the expansion draft with, IMO. Wild speculating over and done.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
Pettersson and Hughes are going to max out their performance bonus again this upcoming season like they did last season. So take out another 1.7 m in cap to account for that in 21/22.

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
Tanev was a bit of a surprise, but given how he has been for us regarding injuries (he was injured at the end of play in March, literally the last game), where Edler, while not injury free, has been more stable on our back end and has been here longer. His next contract could be his last, where as Tanev got his first big contract with his signing in Calgary.

Holtby, should he wash out, will be our problem. We are exposing him, but if he has a good season, I expect him to be selected based on who else we are likely to expose. Roussel? Beagle? I guess one of Juolevi or Lind or Gadjovich or who ever could emerge from Utica could be a good choice too, but the same condition applies: It really depends on the year he has.

I can try to predict, but I agree...there is so much that could change and go differently then what we have now. There are far better goalies out there, no doubt. As far as a duo goes though, I can't see a ton of teams that will have a better goalie exposed. Fleury, should he not be moved is one older possibility. Allen, DeSmith/Jarry, Stalock, Khudobin, Subban/Delia, Georgiev/Shesterkin, Korpisalo/Merzlikins and really those would be my locks for exposure assuming everyone stays where they are. Pittsburgh, Dallas, New York and Columbus have some good assets as secondary goalies, but 3 of them will have a much more unproven goalie exposed (no disrespect to any of them, I'd definitely be looking at one or two of them as a future starter if I were in charge of Seattle), and Khudobin from Dallas has would be my only real worry as a comparable for a "win now" goalie.. He is only being exposed because of Bishops NMC though, and that would be an untenable situation to go into the expansion draft with, IMO. Wild speculating over and done.

You make some good points about the goalies available. I'll only add that guys like Elvis & Shesty are exempt, and Vegas won't participate (wild, hot take ~ could they pay their expansion cousins to take on MAF for a year?) Definitely points in favor of your argument.... :)

The intriguing storyline to follow will be the unsigned guys imo... will Boston move on from Rask, for example? The Leafs could let Andersen go. Raanta is another intriguing name, he's oft-injured but considered elite by some (or close to it)

So Seattle could have lots of options.... they could also have few...

I still maintain it'll come down to the year Holtby has. You're not gonna necessarily get a ringer from every club, so they might be better off targeting a guy like Motte or MacEwen (if exposed, I believe they likely can't protect both as it stands), perhaps one of the overpaid bottom sixers (there will only be a year left on their contracts at that point) or taking their chances with some other younger talent in the system.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
The Nucks are gunna pay big money for EP and he hasn't even separated himself from Eichel...let alone Matthews or McDavid. Enjoy that.

And oh btw....

Malkin
Crosby
Toews
Kane
Stamkos

all signed 5 year deals after their ELC...when you produce at the level that those guys and Matthews have that's typically the norm. EP hasn't reached that level yet.

Lol at comparing Hart trophy and art ross winners to Matthews he isn't even close to the universe of Malkin/Crosby/Mcdavid just goes to show he's overpaid. Stamkos is his comparable and stamps got 11% of CH% vs Matthews 14% YIKES. Any comparable you use shows Matthews got overpaid. Enjoy paying him that big money to never get out of the first round :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
You make some good points about the goalies available. I'll only add that guys like Elvis & Shesty are exempt, and Vegas won't participate (wild, hot take ~ could they pay their expansion cousins to take on MAF for a year?) Definitely points in favor of your argument.... :)

The intriguing storyline to follow will be the unsigned guys imo... will Boston move on from Rask, for example? The Leafs could let Andersen go. Raanta is another intriguing name, he's oft-injured but considered elite by some (or close to it)

So Seattle could have lots of options.... they could also have few...

I still maintain it'll come down to the year Holtby has. You're not gonna necessarily get a ringer from every club, so they might be better off targeting a guy like Motte or MacEwen (if exposed, I believe they likely can't protect both as it stands), perhaps one of the overpaid bottom sixers (there will only be a year left on their contracts at that point) or taking their chances with some other younger talent in the system.

I'm so good that even when I'm totally inaccurate, I still make my point! Huzzah! Great save though.

Unsigned players I left of the list, simply due to Seattle likely not looking to take the risk. It's my own hot take, I know, but an RFA would be worth it, UFA has no commitment to stick around, so I don't know if it would be worth the risk for them, if they are banking on that goalie helping them at all. A UFA goalie to avoid a horrible contract would be a fair trade, but I don't think a team has nothing but bad contracts available.

I agree though, Holtby needs a solid season, at least, to have a hope of being taken by Seattle. Were I Benning, I'd protect Motte for sure, and MacEwen depending on his season, over the likes of our other bottom sixers. I feel Holtby, even with a "meh" season, is a better choice then Eriksson, Beagle or even Roussel, if all are unprotected. A bad seasons though? We're eating Holtby's contract the following season for sure.

Mal Reynolds

Sep 28, 2008
I'm so good that even when I'm totally inaccurate, I still make my point! Huzzah! Great save though.

Unsigned players I left of the list, simply due to Seattle likely not looking to take the risk. It's my own hot take, I know, but an RFA would be worth it, UFA has no commitment to stick around, so I don't know if it would be worth the risk for them, if they are banking on that goalie helping them at all. A UFA goalie to avoid a horrible contract would be a fair trade, but I don't think a team has nothing but bad contracts available.

I agree though, Holtby needs a solid season, at least, to have a hope of being taken by Seattle. Were I Benning, I'd protect Motte for sure, and MacEwen depending on his season, over the likes of our other bottom sixers. I feel Holtby, even with a "meh" season, is a better choice then Eriksson, Beagle or even Roussel, if all are unprotected. A bad seasons though? We're eating Holtby's contract the following season for sure.

I believe they'd have a window to speak to pending UFAs and gauge whether there is any interest there. I can't remember if Vegas took any UFAs who then re-signed. (I don't think it was really a thing though)

Obviously pure speculation on my part, but if I'm Ron Francis and a guy like Tuukka Rask is available, I'd look at it. That's a potentially elite building block to keep a young franchise in games, even if he is on the older side

Anyway, good talk hehe.... will just have to wait and see how things shake out. IMO if Benning is smart, he could try and leverage their less than overloaded protected list to pick up a player or two for pennies on the dollar. I'm thinking a dman in particular, but even Motte/MacEwen up front aren't musts to protect. Sure you might lose a better player, but you'd also improve your team

Reactions: Cogburn

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I believe they'd have a window to speak to pending UFAs and gauge whether there is any interest there. I can't remember if Vegas took any UFAs who then re-signed. (I don't think it was really a thing though)

Obviously pure speculation on my part, but if I'm Ron Francis and a guy like Tuukka Rask is available, I'd look at it. That's a potentially elite building block to keep a young franchise in games, even if he is on the older side

Anyway, good talk hehe.... will just have to wait and see how things shake out. IMO if Benning is smart, he could try and leverage their less than overloaded protected list to pick up a player or two for pennies on the dollar. I'm thinking a dman in particular, but even Motte/MacEwen up front aren't musts to protect. Sure you might lose a better player, but you'd also improve your team

If there is a discussion window, I think there could be some more options. I'd consider a big risk if not though, as I'm sure anyone that was exposed and UFA was to save someone under contract.

Rask would be a great add, if he's still with Boston, and still playing, but it depends on who else Boston exposes. They have a lot of good assets on the Bruins.

If we could acquire another defenseman in such a way, I will be floored. Of course in a great way, but we got Ehrhoff a decade ago, and now Schmidt....I don't want to be greedy hoping for that again.

And yeah, great chat! It's always good when we aren't measuring how far we're pissing, just some good talk.

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Do we really know if nobody offer sheeted Tampas guys?

Maybe they were offersheeted, but the player just never signed and it just wasn't reported.

I would not be surprised if a couple of offersheets had been made, but have not been reported because the player does not sign it.

Teams don’t actually “send offer sheets to players”.

Teams talk to RFA players and if they agree on a contract then the terms are summarized in a Offer Sheet to notify the team holding the RFA player’s rights.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

And oh btw....

Malkin
Crosby
Toews
Kane
Stamkos

EP is better than the 1 dimensional Matthews who will never will anything unless he changes his playing style

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Canucks are in good shape for next year with Demko, Hughes, Gaudette and EP up for new deals. We've about 20 milliom coming off the books in Pearson 3.7, Sutter 4.4, Baertschi 3.3, Edler 6, Benn 2, Spooner 1. I'd imagine we only keep Edler off that list, but on a team friendly retirement deal.

Ep 7x9
Hughes 7x8
Demko 2x3.5
Gaudette 2X2.5
Edler 2x3

That adds 20 million above their current back in and puts us back up at the cap. It's the year after when we move LE, Roussel, Beagle, Holtby off the books that we will really have some money to add to the team, which is right when we our window will be opening.
7x9? It's possible the Cap causes Rfa deflation but 9 seems very optimistic. We know Canuck fans think he is better than several players who make more so this number is a bit of a surprise. I think he's getting 10+ but you could be right about deflation. If so why sign for 7 or 8 years until you know things aren't flat any more?

He might well go for a shorter deal at your price but I doubt his agent want to go long if he's being offered less due to covid. Of course I am wrong all the time.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Allen, DeSmith/Jarry, Stalock, Khudobin, Subban/Delia, Georgiev/Shesterkin, Korpisalo/Merzlikins and really those would be my locks for exposure assuming everyone stays where they are.

Bolded is exempt, so we can protect Georgiyev with no problem. If we want, we could still expose Georgiyev, but right now, I doubt it.

Reactions: Cogburn

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Lol at comparing Hart trophy and art ross winners to Matthews he isn't even close to the universe of Malkin/Crosby/Mcdavid just goes to show he's overpaid. Stamkos is his comparable and stamps got 11% of CH% vs Matthews 14% YIKES. Any comparable you use shows Matthews got overpaid. Enjoy paying him that big money to never get out of the first round :thumbu:

ummmm taxes? Stamkos also took 11% this time

crosby made 17%. Better players make more.

there are multiple historical comparables (kovalchuk/nash etc) comparing Matthews goals and points both raw and per game made him

2nd in GPG/4 in total goals and top 10 in points out of ALL ELC players for 20 years. Literally over 1000. Including hall of fame players.

Matthews clearly earned 14% on a 5 year deal. The range was 11-16.5%.

h

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Teams don’t actually “send offer sheets to players”.

Teams talk to RFA players and if they agree on a contract then the terms are summarized in a Offer Sheet to notify the team holding the RFA player’s rights.

Sure, but you know what he meant. It is entirely possible, likely even, that all the Tampa players have contract offers to them from other teams.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Sure, but you know what he meant. It is entirely possible, likely even, that all the Tampa players have contract offers to them from other teams.

I was addressing a common misconception about what Offer Sheets actually are. The poster I replied to may or may not have that misconception, but the content of the post suggested they did.

I’m sure the Tampa RFA’s have been approached by other teams inquiring on their interest to discuss a contract. I don’t think any of us know whether those RFA’s have actually been engaging in potential contract discussions with the other teams? Past history has indicated some RFA’s do, while many have not.

The other teams don’t send unsolicited contract offers. They contact the agent and see if the player is open to discussing a contract and what terms the player wants.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad