Speculation: The 2021 RFA Class is loaded

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
Pettersson, Makar, Q. Hughes, Dahlin, Heiskanen, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, B. Tkachuk, Kaprizov and Sorokin are all first time RFAs.

Laine is coming off his bridge deal as well.

Vrana, Sanheim, and Fiala are also getting new deals.

Really interested to see what happens next summer with the flat cap.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
Pettersson, Makar, Q. Hughes, Dahlin, Heiskanen, Svechnikov, Kotkaniemi, B. Tkachuk, Kaprizov and Sorokin are all first time RFAs.

Probably going to be similar to how it was this year...unremarkable and ho-hum... no offer sheets. A lot of penny pinching.

HotDish

Win it for Hynes
Aug 17, 2020
The State of Hockey
Minnesota will be fine. They have been loading up one 1 year rentals so next season they will have 26+ mil in cap space(without including losing someone to seattle) and only 4 RFAs.

Only Fiala will probably need a big cap hit since I think Kaprizov will have a bridge deal. I also think Hartman might be moved out. Leaving Fiala, Ek, and Kap needing deals.

Guerin has done a pretty good job keeping our Cap in control.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Doubt anything major happens, every year seems like a big year for FAs and throughout the year a majority of them end up signing new contracts. Could be different because the flat cap, but I still think the majority of those guys re-sign.

Reactions: NB613

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016

Canucks are in good shape for next year with Demko, Hughes, Gaudette and EP up for new deals. We've about 20 milliom coming off the books in Pearson 3.7, Sutter 4.4, Baertschi 3.3, Edler 6, Benn 2, Spooner 1. I'd imagine we only keep Edler off that list, but on a team friendly retirement deal.

Ep 7x9
Hughes 7x8
Demko 2x3.5
Gaudette 2X2.5
Edler 2x3

That adds 20 million above their current back in and puts us back up at the cap. It's the year after when we move LE, Roussel, Beagle, Holtby off the books that we will really have some money to add to the team, which is right when we our window will be opening.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Doubt anything major happens, every year seems like a big year for FAs and throughout the year a majority of them end up signing new contracts. Could be different because the flat cap, but I still think the majority of those guys re-sign.
Might see several shorter term bridge deals next year too.

Reactions: qqaz

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014

They'll get bridged or they'll get paid...for these players a flat cap does not mean anything...

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Canucks are in good shape for next year with Demko, Hughes, Gaudette and EP up for new deals. We've about 20 milliom coming off the books in Pearson 3.7, Sutter 4.4, Baertschi 3.3, Edler 6, Benn 2, Spooner 1. I'd imagine we only keep Edler off that list, but on a team friendly retirement deal.

Ep 7x9
Hughes 7x8
Demko 2x3.5
Gaudette 2X2.5
Edler 2x3

That adds 20 million above their current back in and puts us back up at the cap. It's the year after when we move LE, Roussel, Beagle, Holtby off the books that we will really have some money to add to the team, which is right when we our window will be opening.

You also have to include replacements for pearson, Sutter, and Benn if you aren't signing them.

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011

KK I’d imagine more than likely signs a bridge deal with a manageable AAV

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Hoglander, Podkolzin, Rathbone/Rafferty

Those would all cost money against the cap though, even if they're on ELCs. If you have 20M coming off the cap and spend 20M on raises you still have to find another 3M to cover those 3 replacements.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Those would all cost money against the cap though, even if they're on ELCs. If you have 20M coming off the cap and spend 20M on raises you still have to find another 3M to cover those 3 replacements.
Dude, that's a long way off. There will be plenty of other moves to be made before then, not worrying about that yet. Who knows maybe Seattle takes Holtby or Myers and opens up a bunch of space. Ultimately my point is that we will have no problem fitting EP and Hughes deals in even if they don't bridge.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Stay the hell away from Makar.

upload_2020-10-23_16-43-39.gif

mouz135

Apr 27, 2013
Nothing will happen. These RFAs will be signed by their respective teams and life will go on rather boringly

Dr Danglefest

Lindros|Giroux|Krug
May 29, 2010
THE SouthShore, MASS

Ep 7x9
Hughes 7x8
Demko 2x3.5
Gaudette 2X2.5
Edler 2x3

this is just my opinion but if EP and his camp believe him to be one of the top players in the league or be on track to become one, they’ll never sign a 7 year deal for anything north of what the highest paid guys are making

makes no sense for any RFA or UFA for that matter to take less for long term with the current state of the market, they’ll all look for 2-4 year deals and cash in big once the cap starts rising again

Reactions: deckercky

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Dude, that's a long way off. There will be plenty of other moves to be made before then, not worrying about that yet. Who knows maybe Seattle takes Holtby or Myers and opens up a bunch of space. Ultimately my point is that we will have no problem fitting EP and Hughes deals in even if they don't bridge.

Assuming they settle for less than they could otherwise make. If Marner makes almost 11M on a 6 year deal EP would be well within his rights to ask for more on a deal that buys out more UFA years. He would be more comparable to Matthews. who only bought out 1 UFA year and still made over 11M.

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008

Ep 7x9
Hughes 7x8
Demko 2x3.5
Gaudette 2X2.5
Edler 2x3

Your numbers seem low tbh (though you could definitely be right due to the covid cap squeeze)

Glad to see you factor in Edler ~ feel many Canuck fans overlook that he's still a top 4 guy, and as such, will need to be re-upped or replaced (possibly from within, though that seems quite optimistic to me. Rathbone/Juolevi are still quite unproven)

Long story short, I think it'll be tight. Would certainly help matters if Seattle takes even just a medium sized salary like Roussel

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Assuming they settle for less than they could otherwise make. If Marner makes almost 11M on a 6 year deal EP would be well within his rights to ask for more on a deal that buys out more UFA years. He would be more comparable to Matthews. who only bought out 1 UFA year and still made over 11M.
I think most would agree that Dubas greatly overpaid for both of those guys given comparable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad