Prospect Info: The 2021 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Which Player Is The Most Interesting Thus Far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Trade values constantly fluctuate. You wouldn't be setting a precedent any more than the Lindros trade sets a precedent today. What it does do is provide more certainty to the asset, so it's easier for both teams to properly value it.

And I'm not saying anyone should give 2 1sts for an asset that would normally cost 1. That's stupid, regardless of the year. But it's much easier for a team to part with, say, the known 26th pick of the 2022 draft instead of a mystery box that could be #1 or it could be #32. However, when we're talking that 2021 draft specifically, it could make sense for the Avs to trade two bottom 5 1st round picks for a single pick in the middle of the round for the right player.
Trading two picks in the 28-32 range for a shot at Wallstedt could pay off handsomely if it gives the Avs a legit franchise goalie who can join the team in 2023 just as Mackinnon and Byram get their raises.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Trade values constantly fluctuate. You wouldn't be setting a precedent any more than the Lindros trade sets a precedent today. What it does do is provide more certainty to the asset, so it's easier for both teams to properly value it.

And I'm not saying anyone should give 2 1sts for an asset that would normally cost 1. That's stupid, regardless of the year. But it's much easier for a team to part with, say, the known 26th pick of the 2022 draft instead of a mystery box that could be #1 or it could be #32. However, when we're talking that 2021 draft specifically, it could make sense for the Avs to trade two bottom 5 1st round picks for a single pick in the middle of the round for the right player.

I kind of think it’s inevitable that a team will give two firsts for something that should only cost 1.

But having said that, if they decide to do this, I expect the Avs to utilities the set up to their advantage. And I don’t hate the idea of getting Wallstedt, however it may happen.

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
Trading two picks in the 28-32 range for a shot at Wallstedt could pay off handsomely if it gives the Avs a legit franchise goalie who can join the team in 2023 just as Mackinnon and Byram get their raises.
Agreed, I was actually thinking of him as I posted that. That core would be absolutely unreal.

Reactions: Richard88

Matt Roberts

May 26, 2019
I kind of think it’s inevitable that a team will give two firsts for something that should only cost 1.

But having said that, if they decide to do this, I expect the Avs to utilities the set up to their advantage. And I don’t hate the idea of getting Wallstedt, however it may happen.
Teams overpay all the time anyway. And remember, this is all assuming there is no draft this summer, so teams will have gone 24 months without adding anyone to their system, leaving some pretty thin. Those 1st round picks will still be incredibly valuable.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
I just learned that there is a team named Winnipeg Ice in the WHL. That means that Winnipeg has and NHL, AHL and WHL. This is amazing! They are so lucky.

The WHL team just relocated to there 1(?) year ago. They (Kootenay) were in Cranbrook and moved in time for Krebs to play one year in Winnipeg - I don’t remember if he lived there at one point or something but I remember it being mentioned as a storyline.

Trading Cranbrook for Winnipeg, yikes.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
The WHL team just relocated to there 1(?) year ago. They (Kootenay) were in Cranbrook and moved in time for Krebs to play one year in Winnipeg - I don’t remember if he lived there at one point or something but I remember it being mentioned as a storyline.

Trading Cranbrook for Winnipeg, yikes.
I didn’t know where Cranbrook was, then google it. Yes it looks better than the Peg.:laugh:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Has anyone here seen Colton Dach play?
He's young, but very impressive from what I've watch last season. He's much more mobile and better skater than his brother, but as of now doesn't really have the physical elements such as frame or any sort of mean streak. Has good skill, but what I thought was a very good part of his game was his two-way ability. He's already a fairly accomplished two-way player even with him looking really lanky out there.

More of a playmaker with good vision; reminds me of Burakovsky with Silfverberg thrown in.

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
He's young, but very impressive from what I've watch last season. He's much more mobile and better skater than his brother, but as of now doesn't really have the physical elements such as frame or any sort of mean streak. Has good skill, but what I thought was a very good part of his game was his two-way ability. He's already a fairly accomplished two-way player even with him looking really lanky out there.

More of a playmaker with good vision; reminds me of Burakovsky with Silfverberg thrown in.

Thanks for that!

I read the following description:

Kirby’s l’il brother is a big left winger who puts hit head down and drives to the net. At this juncture isn’t finished developing his acceleration and top gear, but he gets there, and when he does, he hits and finishes his checks. He is a dominant board player who is literally able to knock defenseman down in puck battles. His puck control is also very good, and is very difficult to move off the puck. Effective offensively, but still in the developmental stage. He will cut sharply en route to the front and find a small space where pucks opportunistically find him. Will shoot towards the goalie’s far side pad to create rebounds to the low slot. He is hard on the back check. Hit hits opponents with frequency. He will drop the gloves. Still a work in progress.

—Bill Placzek—

This description makes him appealing but there's not a lot on him here or otherwise.

I think the Avs will need to fill out guys who can play wing. Skating is a pre-requisite but additional tools are also important.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
This guy is Russian but he fits the team identity. He's a great skater so he fits the team identity.

Prospect Report: Nikita Chibrikov (futurescopehockey.com)

Russian winger playing regularly in the adult league with SKA-1946, he is an excellent skater and one of the best offensively skilled 2021 draft prospects out of the MHL. Displays physicality, strong corner and wall work, despite not being a really big guy. An aggressive forechecker but as many a offensive player, he sees his role as an attacker. And that is exactly what he is when the opposing team takes a penalty. His sharp edgework allows quick turns and dekes when his team is on the power play. Sets up and runs the power play at the half boards and is a focal point of the shorthanded team's concern, getting quick crisp passes to both the top of the umbrella and all the way across rot the opposite wing for the one-timer. He dominated with a stellar performance at the 2019 U-17 Five Nations tournament.
--Bill Płaczek--

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I kind of wish they'd push eligibility back to 19 and award picks next year based on combined pts percentage, but good luck getting Fehr to go along with that.
Or the Canadian gov't or any professional sports union or eventually courts. It could become a real legal mess if the NHL messes with that. They could push it back to coincide with an offseason, but to elimite one year and push back ages... that becomes a legal nightmare that nobody wants to deal with.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I kind of wish they'd push eligibility back to 19 and award picks next year based on combined pts percentage, but good luck getting Fehr to go along with that.
Why wouldn't they just keep the 2021 draft order based on the 2020-21 league standings, and the 2022 draft order based on the 2021-22 league standings. There would still be two separate drafts based on two separate seasons, so nothing changes except the 2021 draft takes place a year later. Trying to combine the league standings across two seasons to have just one draft would be uneccessarily complex.

Reactions: Barklez

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Or the Canadian gov't or any professional sports union or eventually courts. It could become a real legal mess if the NHL messes with that. They could push it back to coincide with an offseason, but to elimite one year and push back ages... that becomes a legal nightmare that nobody wants to deal with.
Not sure about how any government would react to rolling it back, but the NFL was able to maintain it's draft eligibility being three years out of high school (remember Maurice Clarrett?!:sarcasm:) and Tavares' attempts to get in early never amounted to much. Both countries still place have some ae based employment restrictions, not based on being 18 as well as drinking, smoking or renting a car.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Thanks for that!

I read the following description:

This description makes him appealing but there's not a lot on him here or otherwise.

I think the Avs will need to fill out guys who can play wing. Skating is a pre-requisite but additional tools are also important.
Placzek has a toothless opinion and Rhino eyes for prospects, there are much better sites to read players descriptions from.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Why wouldn't they just keep the 2021 draft order based on the 2020-21 league standings, and the 2022 draft order based on the 2021-22 league standings. There would still be two separate drafts based on two separate seasons, so nothing changes except the 2021 draft takes place a year later. Trying to combine the league standings across two seasons to have just one draft would be uneccessarily complex.
Just make 19 the draft age. Wouldn't be a huge difference except for the few prospects at the top of the draft who enter as 18 year olds.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Not sure about how any government would react to rolling it back, but the NFL was able to maintain it's draft eligibility being three years out of high school (remember Maurice Clarrett?!:sarcasm:) and Tavares' attempts to get in early never amounted to much. Both countries still place have some ae based employment restrictions, not based on being 18 as well as drinking, smoking or renting a car.

The NHL operating so much in Canada basically means they have to allow for 18 year olds to participate and it can't be restricted. The NBA has special rules for foreign vs US citizens. The NFL doesn't operate in Canada so it doesn't matter. Baseball allows 18 year olds.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
The NHL operating so much in Canada basically means they have to allow for 18 year olds to participate and it can't be restricted. The NBA has special rules for foreign vs US citizens. The NFL doesn't operate in Canada so it doesn't matter. Baseball allows 18 year olds.
Canada ruining everything as usual.:rolleyes:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I keep hearing that 2021 is a weak ass draft and 2022 is where it's at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad