Prospect Info: The 2021 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Which Player Is The Most Interesting Thus Far?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I still think Cossa will be gone long before Sakic takes the stage. He's too good to fall almost out of the first round. My guess is he and Wallstedt are both gone before the teens are over.
Who do you see as the likeliest teams to take Cossa ahead of Colorado?

I'd think the St. Louis (17), Edmonton (20), Detroit (23), and Carolina (27) would be the biggest threats.

A few of the other teams beyond pick 15 already have a decent young goalie or a long-term stud in goal: NYR (Shesterkin), Winnipeg (Hellebuyck/Brossoit), Nashville (Ingram/Askarov), Boston (Swayman/Vladar), Minnesota (Kahkonen), and Columbus (Merzlikins).

I'd be more concerned with the Avs passing on Cossa given that they've never taken a goalie above the 2nd round (Denis in 1995 was a Quebec pick) than another team taking him ahead of pick 28.

upload_2021-7-22_22-50-4.png

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe his technique highlights Vasy’s athleticism even more, but I just don’t think they’ll ever be in the same tier IMO.
Vasi's is so structured and technical, but can use his high end athletic gifts to make the big saves. I do think that the highlights put it on display a bit more.

I don't think Cossa is going to be as good as Vasi. Vasi is honestly damn near generational, and when it is all said and done, he'll probably be looked at in that way. Cossa I think will be a good starting goalie. Somewhere in that 5-15 range in the NHL. To me that is worth anywhere after the 9th pick in this draft. I like Wallstedt a bit more as a goalie. I think he's got elite potential based on just how solid his game is all around, and he should round into the model of consistency in his play. He might not have 10 shutouts in a season, but he's gonna be a .915+ goalie in 80% of his starts. .900 in 95%.

I don't think it matters on either though... neither will get past 19.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Is NHL Network not picking up the World Junior Summer Showcase? That's disappointing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Funny how Cossa and Wallstedt are described as complete polar opposites. One guy is all athleticism, the other all vision/tracking/puck awareness.
Wallstedt has supremely underrated athleticism. He's not elite in that area, but he's never going to be a statue. I think people are over analyzing that part of his game because he's been on the radar forever.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Who do you see as the likeliest teams to take Cossa ahead of Colorado?

I'd think the St. Louis (17), Edmonton (20), Detroit (23), and Carolina (27) would be the biggest threats.

A few of the other teams beyond pick 15 already have a decent young goalie or a long-term stud in goal: NYR (Shesterkin), Winnipeg (Hellebuyck/Brossoit), Nashville (Ingram/Askarov), Boston (Swayman/Vladar), Minnesota (Kahkonen), and Columbus (Merzlikins).

I'd be more concerned with the Avs passing on Cossa given that they've never taken a goalie above the 2nd round (Denis in 1995 was a Quebec pick) than another team taking him ahead of pick 28.

View attachment 454999

I believe the teams interested in Cossa: CHI, STL & EDM.

Removed CAR after trading their G and rumoured to pursue Gibson or extend Bernier. COL pick is likely ZLH which fills a need for Forward toughness and possible Landy replacement.

Reactions: LTC Pain

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He pulled out of the draft the day after the victim gave an interview just saying she wanted a heartfelt apology. This is him saving face. The right move, but saving face.
No doubt about that, but in the world we live in now all you need is a public apology and everything should be okay even if it wasn't meant sincerely. He was obviously thinking of his career when he made that.

Purely athletically, Cossa is the most athletic goalie since Prosvetov in 2018
Not saying you're wrong, however, Mikhail Berdin is easily the most athletic goaler in the relevant hockey world at the moment. Not sure if he has the IQ to ever follow through with his athletic gifts though. Reminds me of the problems that Rinne and Fleury have, which is being too "athletic" and "flexible" that specifically leads to a lot of overcommitment playing style wise.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I still think Cossa will be gone long before Sakic takes the stage. He's too good to fall almost out of the first round. My guess is he and Wallstedt are both gone before the teens are over.
He’s got Edmonton written all over him. Would love him though.

I still lack faith in the draft just to how weird the year is and would be all for trading the 1st for immediate help.

If not I would be on board of a trade down for a couple 2nds if possible.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Wallstedt has supremely underrated athleticism. He's not elite in that area, but he's never going to be a statue. I think people are over analyzing that part of his game because he's been on the radar forever.

The guy on Hockey Prospects Radio said his athleticism was a weakness, going so far as to say his recovery from making a big sprawling save might be below average, but the implication is that his puck awareness is so high he’ll rarely be in such a position in the first place.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Don't want to keep this pick but if we do and we get one of the 2 goalies projected to go in the first round I'll be happy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The guy on Hockey Prospects Radio said his athleticism was a weakness, going so far as to say his recovery from making a big sprawling save might be below average, but the implication is that his puck awareness is so high he’ll rarely be in such a position in the first place.
I simply don’t agree. It is a plus attribute. Not a high end, but he’s athletic.

Reactions: Pokecheque

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I think that's where I heard it, too. The scout on Hockey Prospects Radio who apparently has his own goalie school or is opening his own goalie school talking about VH and reverse VH and all that goalie mumbo jumbo I don't understand was hyping Cossa up like crazy while saying Wallstedt was going to struggle in the NHL because of his lack of athleticism and how the NHL is supposedly trending more and more towards athletic goalies instead of pure blocking-style goalies.

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad