Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
"Credible" rankings are always wrong too. There is a player that almost always drops due to overscouting. Byfield is the perfect candidate this year. Lafs and Stutzle are probably 1-2 is some order (Detroit may pick Stutzle first if they have the top pick). Depending who is at 3, Drysdale and Rossi come into play (Rossi is pretty polarizing... some either like him in the top 3... or outside the top 10). Then the group of Raymond, Sanderson, Perfetti, and Quinn all have major supporters. I think people will be surprised just how high Quinn goes.

I'm with CE... the Lindros comparisons are real. There will never be a player 100% like Lindros again, simply because the game is played differently. In today's game, Lindros wouldn't be Lindros. Byfield isn't consistent with it, but when there is the right fire under him, he can be a nasty SOB and just dominates physically. If it was even semi consistent, he'd have that label... and he has everybit the physical freak traits that Lindros had. He's just much more raw than you typically find in a top 5 center prospect. Usually they have their rough edges sanded off, Byfield doesn't and that is where his risk is.

If Rossi was 5'11" instead of 5'9" he's in the conversation with Stutzle. Teams are just naturally gunshy about a 5'9" center who isn't a dynamic skater. Somebody will believe in him though and pick him high... and likely get rewarded for it. He's a hell of a player.

Raymond has some dynamic capabilities, but he probably was the single biggest disappointment this year for me. A player with his skill level needs to find a way to have a larger impact... and he's incredibly one dimensional. I don't think I'd take him top 5... maybe top 7. Lafs, Stutzle, Rossi, Drysdale, and Byfield are clearly above him to me. Then Perfetti and Holtz are a debate to me (teams will throw in Quinn too... I just don't really agree there).
Are you concerned at all about Perfetti's lack of physicality and how easily he gets shoved around? Even if Rossi is the shorter player he certainly plays 'bigger' out of the two which I think gives him enough of an edge.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Are you concerned at all about Perfetti's lack of physicality and how easily he gets shoved around? Even if Rossi is the shorter player he certainly plays 'bigger' out of the two which I think gives him enough of an edge.

I don't care about Perfetti's physicality much at all. He's not going to be paid to be a physical player. He's a complete power house of offensive skills when in the zone and reminds me a lot of Marner... maybe a better shot version of Marner. My worries on Perfetti is that he's a pretty meh skater and doesn't play defense (and he's certainly not going to be a center). You're relying on his offensive impact to justify his selection. If you get Marner from that, you have a huge win. If you get Drouin from that, you're pretty disappointed. The group of Perfetti, Holtz, and Raymond are all in that kind of area where they have electric upside but some big holes in their games and aren't going to be centers. Teams will go with their feeling of who they feel more comfortable projecting into a 1st line wing role. Quinn gets thrown in there as he adds value beyond his offense and teams will like how well rounded his game is... while still having offensive upside.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If Rossi was 5'11" instead of 5'9" he's in the conversation with Stutzle. Teams are just naturally gunshy about a 5'9" center who isn't a dynamic skater. Somebody will believe in him though and pick him high... and likely get rewarded for it. He's a hell of a player.

Raymond has some dynamic capabilities, but he probably was the single biggest disappointment this year for me. A player with his skill level needs to find a way to have a larger impact... and he's incredibly one dimensional. I don't think I'd take him top 5... maybe top 7. Lafs, Stutzle, Rossi, Drysdale, and Byfield are clearly above him to me. Then Perfetti and Holtz are a debate to me (teams will throw in Quinn too... I just don't really agree there).
What I was trying to get at is that Byfield has the advantage of size that the other players don't, Rossi is still the second best player in this draft for me, and if Byfield went down to Rossi's frame then Byfield would drop a lot more than if Rossi went from 5'11" to 5'9". I don't think Byfield had a bad season at all, but I was expecting a bit more dynamic ability from him, especially in the puck decision department. What I mean is he's a good all-around offensive player, but I was hoping for more playmaking ability and vision. He's still more in the 1v1 category in terms of dominantly using all his powers to his disposal, but if he had Raymond's strength then he would absolutely be going 1st overall no questions asked.

As for Raymond, he possesses the tools that Byfield doesn't, howver I wouldn't say you're wrong in your opinion (didn't look like he should've played against men). However, I suggest that a good deal of his problems were bouncing around between the two leagues this year. Not only that, but his eight minutes of ice per game didn't really help him either. He still had a wonderful season last year and even though draft years are extremely important, I also think you gotta take his full junior career in to consideration as well. He did improve his PPG status from .20 last year to .30 this year, while also looking quite unremarkable at the same time. You can actually turn that into a positive considering that there should be a lot more to his game. There were flashes of brilliance from Lucas though, for me I think the player who didn't necessarily disappoint, but don't really understand the hype is Holtz. I think he gets a passing eye from a lot of people due to his compete level at all areas of the pitch, but you're still drafting a one-dimensional goalscorer who has blinder problems (he's this years Nuke for me, but without a core concept of size). Now with all that said, I would easily draft any of these lads in the top 15 so we're playing that microscope game.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't care about Perfetti's physicality much at all. He's not going to be paid to be a physical player. He's a complete power house of offensive skills when in the zone and reminds me a lot of Marner... maybe a better shot version of Marner. My worries on Perfetti is that he's a pretty meh skater and doesn't play defense (and he's certainly not going to be a center). You're relying on his offensive impact to justify his selection. If you get Marner from that, you have a huge win. If you get Drouin from that, you're pretty disappointed.
I would add to that is if Perfetti is as smart and talented as Marner is, which I argue he's in the same level at least for me, he's got the vision and awareness around him that he won't ever get destroyed. Sure he'll be hit and you can't defend against cheapshots, but he will rarely get Scheifele'd.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
What I was trying to get at is that Byfield has the advantage of size that the other players don't, Rossi is still the second best player in this draft for me, and if Byfield went down to Rossi's frame then Byfield would drop a lot more than if Rossi went from 5'11" to 5'9". I don't think Byfield had a bad season at all, but I was expecting a bit more dynamic ability from him, especially in the puck decision department. What I mean is he's a good all around offensive player, but I was hoping for more playmaking ability and vision. He's still more in the 1v1 category in terms of dominantly using all his powers to his disposal, but if he had Raymond's strength then he would absolutely be going 1st overall no questions asked.

As for Raymond, he possesses the tools that Byfield doesn't and I wouldn't say you're wrong in your opinion. However, I suggest that a good deal of his problems were bouncing around between the two leagues this year. Not only that, but his eight minutes of ice per game didn't really help him either. He still had a wonderful season last year and even though draft years are extremely important, I also think you gotta take his full junior career in to consideration as well. He did improve his PPG status from .20 last year to .30 this year, while also looking quite unremarkable at the same time. There were flashes of brilliance though, for me I think the player who didn't necessarily disappoint, but don't really understand the hype is Holtz. I think he gets a passing eye from a lot of people due to his compete level at all areas of the pitch, but you're still drafting a one-dimensional goalscorer who has blinder problems (he's this years Nuke for me, but without a core concept of size). Now with all that said, I would easily draft any of these lads in the top 15 so we're playing that microscope game.

I mean Rossi can't go down to 5'9" he is 5'9"! ;)

Rossi's singular issue is that he isn't just below average size for being a center, he's significantly below average. Team's have a hard time with that, especially when you combine that with him not being an elite skater. He's good (and a lot better than last season), but just not elite and at 5'9" that is a tough pill for GMs to swallow. No matter how much scouts love him. I think Stutzle is the 2nd best player in this draft, but Rossi and Byfield are both right there for me. I totally get arguments for Rossi over Byfield. Rossi is simply the better player right now and hugely impactful. Byfield just has an enormous ceiling that is very hard to ignore.

With Raymond, I think you have to trust your gut a lot. He didn't get prime minutes, but did show those flashes. He didn't earn prime minutes either despite his obvious talent. He is really the guy this year where you have to trust your eyes and gut that you have the right player. I think as you get past the top end guys, you start splitting hairs. Holtz earned an impact role and has a cannon. Perfetti has a diverse set of offensive skills, but is a limited skater and poor defensively. Raymond has the most pure skill, but didn't earn a bigger role and is also limited in the skating department. I can tell you I wouldn't want to be in the room debating those 3, especially when the OHL scout steps up and starts screaming for Quinn. :laugh:

Reactions: Richard88

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I’d have a really hard time passing on Byfield at two.

That combination of size and skill is pretty special.

He’s raw and I’d send him back to junior for another year, but I love his potential.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Fresh hype reel for Marco Rossi - who had with the highest PPG of this draft class

Enjoy guys :) more videos are coming soon

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Rossi is not my top ranked player in this years draft, but my favourite player. He's going to be electric.

Ja Sports

May 6, 2020
Fresh new hype reel for Connor Zary - absolute workhorse of a player

Hope you guys enjoy :)

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Didn't realize it was such a down year for the US. Only 5 prospects in the top 50?

D595wP4.png

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Didn't realize it was such a down year for the US. Only 5 prospects in the top 50?

D595wP4.png
Really bad year for Americans, Bob McKenzie even mentioned it on his mid-term list that never would he think that Germans would outnumber Mercians in the 1st round as is what happened on his list. With that being said, they have some prime prospects in 2021 (even though it's looking like a weak year overall) and extremely good prospects in 2022 (Especially the top-end players who could be even better than the ones in 2019).

Just curious, in hindsight where would Byram + Newhook land in this draft?
We enjoy the hindsight game, so it's probably a bit unfair for us considering the season Newhook had. Byram has the best offensive tools of any defender in this draft. OHLers will say Drysdale is better, but he's the better all-round defender whereas Bo is better physically and on offence. In that case, if Drysdale goes 8th I would suggest that Byram would go 6th. In terms of Newhook, I wouldn't pick him above Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond, or Stuetzle personally, but would draft him over Holtz, Lundell, Quinn, or Mercer. The one I would go back and forth on is Zary, but it depends on how you view each player individually. If we consider that, then Newhook would be in the 8th to 10th-ish range depending how the 2020 draft takes place.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah everything I'm reading is leading me to believe that Byram would have went before Drysdale, and somewhat comfortably.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
We enjoy the hindsight game, so it's probably a bit unfair for us considering the season Newhook had. Byram has the best offensive tools of any defender in this draft. OHLers will say Drysdale is better, but he's the better all-round defender whereas Bo is better physically and on offence. In that case, if Drysdale goes 8th I would suggest that Byram would go 6th. In terms of Newhook, I wouldn't pick him above Rossi, Perfetti, Raymond, or Stuetzle personally, but would draft him over Holtz, Lundell, Quinn, or Mercer. The one I would go back and forth on is Zary, but it depends on how you view each player individually. If we consider that, then Newhook would be in the 8th to 10th-ish range depending how the 2020 draft takes place.

I strongly disagree with this. I think you have it backwards. Drysdale has much better offensive tools, at least IMO, than Byram. I would even suggest Drysdale is closest thing you'll find to Makar's skillset.

I do agree Byram and Newhook would be in the conversation in the 7-10 range if available.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah everything I'm reading is leading me to believe that Byram would have went before Drysdale, and somewhat comfortably.

Yeah, I get the sense that scouts were a little higher on Byram than they are on Drysdale this year.

It could be more of a reflection of a deeper forward group near the top of the draft, but I think Byram was a little more highly touted.

Drysdale is a wonderful skater though. The Makar comparisons might not help him, but I think he’s going to be a really good NHL defenceman.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I strongly disagree with this. I think you have it backwards. Drysdale has much better offensive tools, at least IMO, than Byram. I would even suggest Drysdale is closest thing you'll find to Makar's skillset.

I do agree Byram and Newhook would be in the conversation in the 7-10 range if available.
Nah, I said it as I meant it. Drysdale's best attributes is his transition game and his overall consistency as a defender. No doubt he can create offence, but he doesn't have Byram's dynamic ability in making plays for himself, his shot, nor his willingness in taking risks. Comparing Drysdale to Makar is insane if you'd ask me, he would be going 2nd overall easily and would be debated among 1st overall if scouts thought that he provide something similar to Makar's skillset. I too would put Drysdale a lot higher if I thought that was the case personally. I think both are overrated players though.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Nah, I said it as I meant it. Drysdale's best attributes is his transition game and his overall consistency as a defender. No doubt he can create offence, but he doesn't have Byram's dynamic ability in making plays for himself, his shot, nor his willingness in taking risks. Comparing Drysdale to Makar is insane if you'd ask me, he would be going 2nd overall easily and would be debated among 1st overall if scouts thought that he provide something similar to Makar's skillset. I too would put Drysdale a lot higher if I thought that was the case personally. I think both are overrated players though.

Thought I might take some heat for that. To be clear - I'm certainly not suggesting Drysdale will be as good as Makar, just that his skillset, specifically his skating, was reminiscent of Makar. I don't think he has as good of a shot, which has developed into a real weapon for Makar.

Agree to disagree however. Time will tell. I was extremely bullish on Makar as a prospect, but relatively bearish on Byram. I think Byram is good, and projects pretty safely to be a top 4 defenseman, I just don't see this enormous upside everyone else seems to see. He's got pretty good NHL caliber tools - I don't think he has the that 'sixth sense' of this where I need to get the puck to that all of the top point producers seem to have. As an Avs fan, I certainly hope I'm wrong and someone quotes this in 5 years to the tune of 'this post didn't age well'.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

You think Byram is overrated? What areas of his game are giving you pause? Just overall upside?

Last edited:

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
You think Byram is overrated? What areas of his game are giving are giving you pause? Just overall upside?

Id argue Byram is being underrated in hockey circles lately. He more or less replicated his amazing season from last year, despite a slow start, all while improving defensively and honing other areas of his game. Had 32 points in his last 20 games. Dylan Cozens was an absolute beast down the stretch and had 36 points in as many games.

Don’t sleep on Byram people. I still fully believe he has 1D upside.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'd have Bryam ahead of Drysdale. I don't think either will be world burners offensively, and Byram has the skill set to be a good defensive player. He's got a lot to learn and it will take time, but I think he will be a clear step ahead of Drysdale defensively.

Reactions: avsfan09

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Id argue Byram is being underrated in hockey circles lately. He more or less replicated his amazing season from last year, despite a slow start, all while improving defensively and honing other areas of his game. Had 32 points in his last 20 games. Dylan Cozens was an absolute beast down the stretch and had 36 points in as many games.

Don’t sleep on Byram people. I still fully believe he has 1D upside.

Actually re-reading Seph’s post I don’t think he was saying Byram was overrated.

My B Seph. I hadn’t had my morning cup of coffee yet.

Not much has changed for me on Byram since draft day. I still think he has big upside.

I might change my mind depending on what I see from him next year, but I think he’s got a lot of tools that are going to make him a highly effective player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad