Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
That’s obviously because he’s secretly from Newfoundland.

Has anyone ever tried to keep up with him drinking alcohol? That will answer it.

Start early in Newfoundland?!?! He's only 15!

His dad is actually from Saskatchewan and his uncle Lane actually interviewed for the head gig here. He's probably the next skater to get the generational tag.

Foxtail

Mar 31, 2018
Nova Scotia

His dad is actually from Saskatchewan and his uncle Lane actually interviewed for the head gig here. He's probably the next skater to get the generational tag.
We start drinking at 10 in the Maritimes. Generational ? His family are runts he must grow

Reactions: The Kingslayer

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Starting just a year away from the legal drinking age is kinda late...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Will be curious to read what y'all have to say cause I'm probably not gunna get to watch any junior hockey this year outside of the big tournaments :-/

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Will be curious to read what y'all have to say cause I'm probably not gunna get to watch any junior hockey this year outside of the big tournaments :-/
That was me this past year outside of CHL playoffs and Victoria Grizzlies games. Hence my obsession with Dach and Byram.

Reactions: cgf

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My God is Askarov going to be amazing. Looking like a Roy 2.0.

He's going top 10 for sure... I'm really curious if he goes top 5 or higher. IMO he's probably the best player in this draft by a good margin, but I doubt teams will be willing to take the risk picking him #1.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
He's going top 10 for sure... I'm really curious if he goes top 5 or higher. IMO he's probably the best player in this draft by a good margin, but I doubt teams will be willing to take the risk picking him #1.

I wonder if you're Sakic then do you still adhere to the take the BPA strategy or go all in to move up and get Askarov? D and top 6 are pretty well covered. Although I'm guessing the Avs will end up with something like the 25th pick or later. Might as well kick off next season's Jack Hughes sweepstakes. I've been a take the BPA adherent but I have to admit, selecting a generational goalie (and earning a SC championship:rolleyes:) would be a fitting capstone for Sakic to take his early retirement on.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I wonder if you're Sakic then do you still adhere to the take the BPA strategy or go all in to move up and get Askarov? D and top 6 are pretty well covered. Although I'm guessing the Avs will end up with something like the 25th pick or later. Might as well kick off next season's Jack Hughes sweepstakes. I've been a take the BPA adherent but I have to admit, selecting a generational goalie (and earning a SC championship:rolleyes:) would be a fitting capstone for Sakic to take his early retirement on.

It is?

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

Relatively speaking. Just got back from vacation and been dropping in on various threads. It got me to thinking instead of grading Sakic, how would you build the Avs roster. 4Fs of our roster's top 6 were built thru the draft.

It got me to thinking how some posters would answer that question. I know your position and I was thinking I'd have a pretty good idea with Pokecheque as well. But despite Pokecheque's enthusiasm for Barrie, it made me question how our team is structured. Getting offense from the D is certainly nice but the D-man's job is D first and foremost and not scoring. That's the top 6F's primary responsibility. So in that sense, I regard Barrie and, in fairness, Byram's offense as a real nice plus but what I really wanted was to shore up the D. Not just as a serviceable D butto make it one one of the better D corps there is.

How difficult is is to fill every top 6 position plus stock the D and G positions, much less, without a miss here or there?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The top 3 is :nod:

I actually like where we're at down the middle as well; with Kadri (theoretically) holding the fort between MacK n Jost until Newhook is ready and Bowers coming for that 3C gig eventually. But I can't say that we're set on the wings (yet), even though we're not that far off with the top 3 locked up and a number of good 3rd liners both already in the lineup & on the way.

But those top 6 wing spots still stick out like a sore thumb barring some combination of: Bura making all of us look like fools for doubting him, Donskoi or Jimmothy forgetting that they're not supposed to stay hot all season, Kaut making big strides ASAFP, and Newhook being a difference-maker upon signing his ELC after his freshman season ends.

In general the only areas of concern for me atm are those top 6 wings (short & long term), our RHB (especially short term), our goaltending (more long term than short unless Gru turns back into a pumpkin), and the general inexperience of our blueline. The latter of which will resolve itself, hopefully by this postseason, but realistically we'll have to wait another year for them to really be ready to contend...unfortunately...and the RHB situation could be resolved by our prospects or a more affordable trade acquisition like Savard.

But goaltending I expect to remain a constant hot-potato for us, where we bounce from one 2-3 year solution to the next, and those top 6 wingers behind Mikko & Gabe worry me. Especially since I don't see us paying Kadri upwards of 9M into his 30s unless Newhook busts; so Newhook's not a long term solution on the wing even if he becomes a short term one while he's groomed to take over for Naz..and though I like Kaut, I'm not sure if he's a legit top 6er or just a good middle-6er like Donskoi. So it's not like we have the kind of golden solutions coming the way we do with most of our blueline.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Abusement Park
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad