Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread

Besides some of the Top Players, who are you looking forward to the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
You probably know this, but Iguchi isn't going to stop at 5'3". Someone who's close to the team in the prospect forum said that Japanese teens are genetically late bloomers. Of course he isn't going to be 6'3", but don't be surprised if next year he's 5'7" which is considerable. Whatever the case is, I am quite interested in them because the 2021 draft is looking to be super weak at this current point in time. Teams might give them more of a chance regardless if it's not in the first round.

I won't pretend to know genetics of Asians and how they grow... the average in Japan tends to be around 5'7" though, and he's short based on his Japanese peer group by 2-3". And I'm already giving him some leeway, he measured under 5'2" this spring and I don't know if he has made his way to Waterloo yet, but they are expecting him to measure right around 5'2". Any taller would be a surprise to them. Even if he grows to 5'5" or 5'6"... the list is very small of successful players at that height in the modern era. Teams will look and say the ceiling is likely Gerbe or Grimaldi level and that is pretty unlikely by itself. If 5'9" or 5'10" was likely, he'd get on the radar real quickly.

Before any of that though, Iguchi has to start playing against some good competition consistently. USHL/Europe/Canada... don't care where, but has to happen so he can be compared to his peers in more developed hockey countries.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Sato officially made Quebec's roster... has a solid chance at a top 6 spot too.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
I won't pretend to know genetics of Asians and how they grow...

I'm 6-4" (sis is 5'-8") I went from 5'-6" to 6'-2" in 6 months. But I'm northern Chinese and not Japanese. Interestingly the Chinese word for Japanese translates as 'little bandits' IIRC. So I don't think they're known for their tall stature. I've heard of tall young Chinese people in Shanghai (like 5'-9" for women and 6'-0"+ for guys). I think Koreans are also getting taller. I think a lot of it is the diet. Go to Europe. The medieval structures have low doorways. Your White forbearers weren't that tall.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm 6-4" (sis is 5'-8") I went from 5'-6" to 6'-2" in 6 months. But I'm northern Chinese and not Japanese. Interestingly the Chinese word for Japanese translates as 'little bandits' IIRC. So I don't think they're known for their tall stature. I've heard of tall young Chinese people in Shanghai (like 5'-9" for women and 6'-0"+ for guys). I think Koreans are also getting taller. I think a lot of it is the diet. Go to Europe. The medieval structures have low doorways. Your White forbearers weren't that tall.

North Koreans are particularly diminutive due to their isolation and, well, malnutrition (I think Christopher Hitchens once referred to them as "A nation of racist dwarves" :laugh:. They may actually be going the other direction. Technically my mother is North Korean (her family fled to the south during the war) and she's 5'3"., though I think that was average for Koreans at the time (we're talking 1970 or so) My father is a 5'9" white guy from Colorado and I come in just a hair under 5'8". It wouldn't surprise me if Koreans (at least in South Korea) are indeed getting taller.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Lapierre is really, really good. Don’t know about being above Raymond, but debatable IMO.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I won't pretend to know genetics of Asians and how they grow... the average in Japan tends to be around 5'7" though, and he's short based on his Japanese peer group by 2-3". And I'm already giving him some leeway, he measured under 5'2" this spring and I don't know if he has made his way to Waterloo yet, but they are expecting him to measure right around 5'2". Any taller would be a surprise to them. Even if he grows to 5'5" or 5'6"... the list is very small of successful players at that height in the modern era. Teams will look and say the ceiling is likely Gerbe or Grimaldi level and that is pretty unlikely by itself. If 5'9" or 5'10" was likely, he'd get on the radar real quickly.

Before any of that though, Iguchi has to start playing against some good competition consistently. USHL/Europe/Canada... don't care where, but has to happen so he can be compared to his peers in more developed hockey countries.

Average height in the US is 5'9, doesn't really mean much IMO.

A lot of asians experience late growth spurts and the average height of the population in general is increasing. I'd be surprised if he was under 5'5 by the time he's done growing, anywhere between 5'6-5'11 would be my expectation.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
https://www.tsn.ca/lafreniere-leads-loaded-class-in-tsn-hockey-s-pre-season-draft-ranking-1.1364438

6. Yaroslav Askarov: The 6-foot-3 Russian has been billed as the second coming of Carey Price and even though there’s great hesitation to take a goaltender in the top 10, or even the top five of the draft, the sky could be the limit for this guy. All 10 scouts surveyed by TSN have him as a Top 10 pick to start the season and two of them ranked Askarov No. 2 overall, behind only Lafreniere. He’s big, athletic, and unflappable, and all he does is win. As much attention, and deservedly so, as U.S. goalie Spencer Knight got last year before being taken 13th overall by Florida, scouts say Askarov is on a whole other level from Knight.

Reactions: LTC Pain

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
North Koreans are particularly diminutive due to their isolation and, well, malnutrition (I think Christopher Hitchens once referred to them as "A nation of racist dwarves" :laugh:. They may actually be going the other direction. Technically my mother is North Korean (her family fled to the south during the war) and she's 5'3"., though I think that was average for Koreans at the time (we're talking 1970 or so) My father is a 5'9" white guy from Colorado and I come in just a hair under 5'8". It wouldn't surprise me if Koreans (at least in South Korea) are indeed getting taller.

Traditionally people from Bukhan were considered taller. As a general rule the further human populations are from the equator the taller they tend to be, so that does make sense.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
You probably know this, but Iguchi isn't going to stop at 5'3". Someone who's close to the team in the prospect forum said that Japanese teens are genetically late bloomers. Of course he isn't going to be 6'3", but don't be surprised if next year he's 5'7" which is considerable. Whatever the case is, I am quite interested in them because the 2021 draft is looking to be super weak at this current point in time. Teams might give them more of a chance regardless if it's not in the first round.

I mean, I've known a lot of people that weren't necessarily Japanese but were Asian and I can't really say that I think their growth pattern is any different than anyone else's.

Fun fact, my younger brother was ridiculously tall as a child. When we would go to the doctor he would always be in the 95%+ in terms of height for his age. At some point he just stopped growing and now he's 5'8. LOL. He loved talking shit as a kid about how he would someday be taller than I am. He's not.

Pokecheque

Whack it Hard to Girard
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Middle West
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean, I've known a lot of people that weren't necessarily Japanese but were Asian and I can't really say that I think their growth pattern is any different than anyone else's.

Fun fact, my younger brother was ridiculously tall as a child. When we would go to the doctor he would always be in the 95%+ in terms of height for his age. At some point he just stopped growing and now he's 5'8. LOL. He loved talking **** as a kid about how he would someday be taller than I am. He's not.

My dad's 5'9" and he topped out way earlier than everyone else in his class. Played basketball as a power forward when he was around 13, the late Irv Brown kicked him out of a game for almost getting into a fight. I was the complete opposite--was a pre-mushroom Mario the whole time growing up until high school then I rocketed up to...5'8" :laugh:

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
My thoughts on Askarov from the prospect board:

He is exceptional and I would pick him in the top 5. The only guy I'm sure will be a bigger difference-maker is Alexis. But he needs to be more economic in his movements and work on positioning. He reminds me of Varlamov a bit, who was also exceptionally talented in terms of athletic ability, but over-reliance on that made him fragile, as he overworked himself by needing to pull out all the stops making what would've been a routine save for a technically sound goalie. All because he wasn't the best at understanding angles and reading the play.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Not that hard; his dad was born in Canada, but wasn't a good player so he found himself playing in the UK for his entire career. After he retired he bounced around the Earth before he settled down in Finland marrying a Finnish woman. He worked in hockey in Finland, had his son which inherited his dad's surname of "Lambert", while the parents settled on "Brad" as his first name. However, if you take away his name he is 95% Finnish being not only born in the country, but he's played 99.8% of his entire hockey career in Finland except a random season in Saskatoon for his dad. However, his dad got a job with a Liiga team in Finland as a skills/development coach so they moved back to Finland and have been there ever since.

If you watch him in the interviews, he doesn't really have an accent. His mannerism and how he speaks is extremely Finnish though.

:laugh: :clap:

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I was seeing one of these lists and it was so strange... names like Aucoin, Langenbrunner, Sacco, Francis, Berard, Reichel... had to re-check what year it was. lol

and no matter what happens, the Avs NEED to draft Thomas Bordeleau.

YAQfRQq.gif

Reactions: Tweaky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->