Prospect Info: The 2020 Entry NHL Draft Thread: Part II

Which player are you considering the most at 27th overall currently?

• Rodion Amirov, LW [Salavat Yulaev Ufa, KHL]

• Brendan Brisson, C [Chicago Steel, USHL]

• Dylan Holloway, LW [University of Wisconsin, NCAA]

• Jan Mysak, LW [Hamilton Bulldogs, OHL]

• Jake Neighbours, LW [Edmonton Oil Kings, WHL]

• Jacob Perreault, C [Sarnia Sting, OHL]

• John-Jason Peterka, LW [EHC Munchen, DEL]

• Jeremie Poirier, D [Saint John Sea Dogs, LHJMQ]

• William Wallinder, D [Modo Hockey, Allsvenskan]

• Other [List Below]

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think there are signs that they've improved their drafting in that area of the draft in the last 2-3 years, given that Timmins, Helleson, and Annunen are all progressing well. Even Stienburg looks less bad one year later even though he was a reach at the time.

If you just change the names, the same thing has been said yearly for the past 7...

Reactions: ArWKo

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If you just change the names, the same thing has been said yearly for the past 7...
Again not calling Hepple superb or our amateur scouting anything amazing like that, but if you can't see that there's been a difference between Pracey and Hepple then I can't help ya. I'm not saying they've worked, but they've been more adventurous.

Reactions: avsfan09

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think there are signs that they've improved their drafting in that area of the draft in the last 2-3 years, given that Timmins, Helleson, and Annunen are all progressing well. Even Stienburg looks less bad one year later even though he was a reach at the time.

View attachment 349588
Can't say that until they actually become something honestly. At least with their track record.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Again not calling Hepple superb or our amateur scouting anything amazing like that, but if you can't see that there's been a difference between Pracey and Hepple then I can't help ya. I'm not saying they've worked, but they've been more adventurous.

You can most certainly see a difference in who they are drafting, but have the results changed?

We like to hype up on how it will be different now and how this crop of kids is going to be better than the last. It is natural for fans to do that, and I personally think this crop is better. But we've all been fooled before.

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m a believer in Newhook and Timmins.

I don’t know if that’s enough to start giving the scouting department some credit, but I think those guys are going to make it.
I am as well. But it's the guys like Helleson, Annunen, Kovalenko, etc. that always get hyped here and the Avs have consistently developed them poorly or drafted the wrong guys. They definitely have to start showing improvement to get the benefit of the doubt unfortunately.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I am as well. But it's the guys like Helleson, Annunen, Kovalenko, etc. that always get hyped here and the Avs have consistently developed them poorly or drafted the wrong guys. They definitely have to start showing improvement to get the benefit of the doubt unfortunately.

I’m not nearly as hopeful about those guys as I am for Newhook and Timmins.

For me it’s...

Byram
Newhook

Timmins

Kaut

Annunen
Bowers

Everyone else

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I’m not nearly as hopeful about those guys as I am for Newhook and Timmins.

For me it’s...

Byram
Newhook

Timmins

Kaut

Annunen
Bowers

se

Agree scouting needs to improve, but youth on the NHL roster and adding a few of these players onto a crowded roster, will have a little more time to draft better.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Again... Teams should be regularly finding NHL talent in the 1st round. Yes the occasional busts happen, but generally teams should at least produce NHL talent out of the first round.

When you look at the Avs 1st round history this past decade outside of the Top 10... It is not a pretty picture at all.

Joey Hishon(17th)
Duncan Siemens(11th)
Connor Bleackley(23rd)
Martin Kaut(16th)
Alex Newhook(16th)

3 of those are complete and utter busts. The other two it is still far too early to say either way. Kaut was not trending well before he got to the NHL, but that NHL stint he had has kind of put a sense of hope back in terms of his future. I still have major concerns about whether he lives up to the expectations of a 16th overall pick, but at least getting an NHL player seems more likely now.

Newhook looks extremely promising and I have faith here that we get an impact player, but the track record isn't a record that lends itself to having faith.

The even bigger problem, is that thing only get uglier beyond the first round this last decade.

And I have high hopes for Kovalenko, for Annunen, and for Timmins especially. But I also had seriously high Hope's for Bigras, as well as Meloche, Mironov, Shvryov, and Beaudin all before.

Hell I remeber being extremely high on Joachim Nermark way back in 2011, and was sure he was a future stud 3C for the Avs.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Lafreniere is only the 2nd player ever to be named CHL player of the year for 2 seasons in a row. The other player was Crosby.

Last edited:
Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
giphy.gif

Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lafreniere is only the 2nd player ever to be named CHL player of the year for 2 seasons in a row. The other player was Crosby.
Shane Wright beat McDavid's total as a rookie and even though Wright is a pretty freakin' awesome player, hard to say he'll be as good as McDavid like Lafre won't be as good as Crosby.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Switched from 5'11" overage forwards from the OHL to 6'1" 18 year old forwards from anywhere!

That said, out of the post 2nd forward crop I think we'll see at least one player out of Sampo, Kovalenko, Beaucage, Mutala, Burzan and Steinberg.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Again... Teams should be regularly finding NHL talent in the 1st round. Yes the occasional busts happen, but generally teams should at least produce NHL talent out of the first round.

When you look at the Avs 1st round history this past decade outside of the Top 10... It is not a pretty picture at all.

Joey Hishon(17th)
Duncan Siemens(11th)
Connor Bleackley(23rd)
Martin Kaut(16th)
Alex Newhook(16th)

3 of those are complete and utter busts. The other two it is still far too early to say either way. Kaut was not trending well before he got to the NHL, but that NHL stint he had has kind of put a sense of hope back in terms of his future. I still have major concerns about whether he lives up to the expectations of a 16th overall pick, but at least getting an NHL player seems more likely now.

Newhook looks extremely promising and I have faith here that we get an impact player, but the track record isn't a record that lends itself to having faith.

The even bigger problem, is that thing only get uglier beyond the first round this last decade.

And I have high hopes for Kovalenko, for Annunen, and for Timmins especially. But I also had seriously high Hope's for Bigras, as well as Meloche, Mironov, Shvryov, and Beaudin all before.

Hell I remeber being extremely high on Joachim Nermark way back in 2011, and was sure he was a future stud 3C for the Avs.
Oh thank God!

I was wondering when we would have harang about the drafting under Pracey and Roy. It's about time that happened!

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Shane Wright beat McDavid's total as a rookie and even though Wright is a pretty freakin' awesome player, hard to say he'll be as good as McDavid like Lafre won't be as good as Crosby.

I didn't say he'd be generational like Crosby I said he was underrated as a 1st OA pick. Last 2 first OA picks from the Q were Mack and Hischier. Laf's junior career is easily a tier above Mack's and two tiers above Hischier's.

He's the best prospect coming out of the Q since Crosby according to pretty much everyone covering that league.

MikeC

Feb 28, 2002
L'Assomption
I didn't say he'd be generational like Crosby I said he was underrated as a 1st OA pick. Last 2 first OA picks from the Q were Mack and Hischier. Laf's junior career is easily a tier above Mack's and two tiers above Hischier's.

He's the best prospect coming out of the Q since Crosby according to pretty much everyone covering that league.
if you take a look at their draft year, I agree with you that Lafreniere is better (a little) than Mack (different players and Laf is more physicaly mature), but do not forget the fact that Lafreniere is 10 months 19 days older .

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Draft lottery is STILL 9 days away. I didn't realize at first how dumb that is to make the lottery so damn late yet too early at the same time (since there's the possibility that we won't know the order until after the round-robin).

Either you make it early so people have something to talk about or you wait until you know the draft order pre-lottery. Right now it's the worst of both worlds.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
They have Jake Sanderson in the top 5 and over Drysdale. Their final is crazier than just that.

Teams are really in love with Sanderson. Big, skates real well, and showed some offensive growth. He's a projection pick, but he's near universally loved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad