Speculation: The 2020 Draft Thread: Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I did misunderstand who's father was coaching, but didnt actually think Dahlin was throwing shade.

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
I'm pretty much down to Lundell or Sanderson. I'm good with either.
Yeah, I think realistically at #8 we are looking at
Lundell
Sanderson
Holtz
Quinn
Jarvis
Out of those I take Sanderson hands down. I know we need forwards but Sanderson is too good to pass on.
Now if Rossi, Perfetti or Raymond fall I would jump on that.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Yeah, I think realistically at #8 we are looking at
Lundell
Sanderson
Holtz
Quinn
Jarvis
Out of those I take Sanderson hands down. I know we need forwards but Sanderson is too good to pass on.
Now if Rossi, Perfetti or Raymond fall I would jump on that.

I'm all aboard the Jarvis train.The more I watch him, the more I like him. Reminds me of a more talented Brendan Gallagher. Despite being one of the smallest guys on the ice, he's often the most determined to plant his ass in high-traffic scoring areas, and his skating is top notch.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Hopefully it won't be Sanderson, I don't see him being as good as Slavin or Werenski, we also have a lot of LD prospects that may well develop and be good #3 - #4 behind Dahlin's back.

Reactions: buyinnow

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Not really an issue with Sanderson himself but the overall idea is the "projectibility" of dmen.

The physical defense, mobility, offensive contributions could translate to a great nhler or ones that have tools but can't put it all together like risto/bogo.

The same can be said of forwards to some extent, but just think they are more certain at the top of the draft.

Jarvis is in really good company in terms of junior production, doesn't make him a guarantee either but I just think taking him is playing the odds better

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Hopefully it won't be Sanderson, I don't see him being as good as Slavin or Werenski, we also have a lot of LD prospects that may well develop and be good #3 - #4 behind Dahlin's back.

I think he's Werenski-lite, with a better game in his own end, but a less developed offensive game at this point in his career. I think he's the type of defenseman that you throw over the boards against the best lines in the league, knowing he's going to hold them off in the defensive zone, and transition the puck well and make that opposition top line work hard defensively.

Some of the opposition on these boards is because everyone wants a forward. Another part of it is that Sanderson is viewed as a defense-first prospect. If you watch what he did after January, he's a top prospect with a budding offensive game. And if you're looking for a culture building pick, Sanderson is your guy (Lundell would be great too).

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I proposed Ristolainen and 2020 2nd to NJ for Wood, Vancouver's 2020 1st (20th) and 2020 3rd. That'd put Adams in striking distance of 10th overall, using the 2021 2nd round pick. Throwing the rights to Pilut if need be. Take Lundell at 8 and Sanderson at 10-12. Both after play-sooner-than-later types who play a mature game, do a lot of things the Sabres need, and have a playoff style game.

Reactions: cybresabre

markpenske

Jul 2, 2015
"I'd be shocked if Jake Sanderson isn't selected top 10 in the draft," NTDP U-18 coach Seth Appert said. "He plays the game so efficiently, defends so hard and can jump into the play and add offense ... he's the prototypical modern-age defenseman. I know other defensemen get more notoriety because of the points they put up, but the beauty of Jake Sanderson is the more you watch him, the more you start to appreciate what an unbelievable defender he is."
NTDP associate coach Nick Fohr oversees the defensemen, and in his nine seasons with the program has worked with several players currently competing in the NHL, including Seth Jones (Columbus Blue Jackets), Zach Werenski (Blue Jackets), Noah Hanifin (Calgary Flames) and Charlie McAvoy (Boston Bruins). He believes Sanderson ranks among that elite group.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I think he's Werenski-lite, with a better game in his own end, but a less developed offensive game at this point in his career. I think he's the type of defenseman that you throw over the boards against the best lines in the league, knowing he's going to hold them off in the defensive zone, and transition the puck well and make that opposition top line work hard defensively.

Some of the opposition on these boards is because everyone wants a forward. Another part of it is that Sanderson is viewed as a defense-first prospect. If you watch what he did after January, he's a top prospect with a budding offensive game. And if you're looking for a culture building pick, Sanderson is your guy (Lundell would be great too).
I don't see Sanderson being some kind of Dahlin-level elite prospect, and it's logical that a lot of people want an attacking prospects, there are some really impressive attacking prospects out there. I would easily take Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti and Jarvis in front of Sanderson.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I don't see Sanderson being some kind of Dahlin-level elite prospect, and it's logical that a lot of people want an attacking prospects, there are some really impressive attacking prospects out there. I would easily take Rossi, Raymond, Perfetti and Jarvis in front of Sanderson.

i don’t think anyone is making Sanderson out to be on Dahlin’s level. I’d only take Perfetti over Sanderson if the group you posted.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
i don’t think anyone is making Sanderson out to be on Dahlin’s level. I’d only take Perfetti over Sanderson if the group you posted.
It makes sense, because Sanderson is not as talented as Dahlin. So I would take an attacking prospect, there is a very good choice.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
The things people are saying about Sanderson sound exactly like what was said about Ryan Johnson, right down to the "prototypical modern defender'" and "offense was starting to come around later in the year."

If you're talking about a top-10 pick in the NHL Draft, and you have to say, "Sure he doesn't score much, but...", then you've made a bad pick.

The issue is value: if the things a prospect does well does not result in offense at low levels of hockey, then it is very likely that you could have drafted a similar player in a later round, and used the higher pick on a player who does things that do result in offensive production, which is a rarer/more valuable commodity.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
The things people are saying about Sanderson sound exactly like what was said about Ryan Johnson, right down to the "prototypical modern defender'" and "offense was starting to come around later in the year."

If you're talking about a top-10 pick in the NHL Draft, and you have to say, "Sure he doesn't score much, but...", then you've made a bad pick.
I don't want Sanderson as I like prospects in positions of need, but his offensive ability isn't a problem. His second half last year was a revelation as he put up tons of points and dominated international competition. If you feel that Sanderson can't score than you should hate Jarvis also as neither produced much the first half but turned it on later

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I don't want Sanderson as I like prospects in positions of need, but his offensive ability isn't a problem. His second half last year was a revelation as he put up tons of points and dominated international competition. If you feel that Sanderson can't score than you should hate Jarvis also as neither produced much the first half but turned it on later

Jarvis' production stands out because the players who produced similarly have historically tended to be successful in the NHL.

There's just less context showing that Sanderson's production will point to NHL success

Last edited:
Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Rantanen.

Because I don’t understand how you can ignore positions when choosing on the draft in our case. We have Dahlin, we have Samuelsson, Bryson and Johnson as LD prospects. I seriously think that 1-2 of these three may well be a legit top 4 LD. Sanderson may be a good player, but I'm not sure yet that he will be as good as Werenski. Rantanen is a legit first-line winger, we have very few good attacking prospects, our attack looks weak. I would definitely take Rantanen. It is also easier to get the top 4 LD than the front row winger.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Three favorite players in this draft:

Sanderson - Werenki style defender with wheels, IQ, great in his own zone, budding offensive game, and leadership qualities.
Lundell - prototype modern 20o foot center with a mature game, hockey IQ, great shot, and leadership qualities.
Khusnutdinov - possession center with wheels, IQ, hounds puck, keeps it when he gets it, makes smart plays, and can play defense.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Three favorite players in this draft:

Sanderson - Werenki style defender with wheels, IQ, great in his own zone, budding offensive game, and leadership qualities.
Lundell - prototype modern 20o foot center with a mature game, hockey IQ, great shot, and leadership qualities.
Khusnutdinov - possession center with wheels, IQ, hounds puck, keeps it when he gets it, makes smart plays, and can play defense.
Wow, I didn’t think any player on Earth could outshine your love for Lundell. I’ll have to watch some film on Sanderson just so we can both be depressed when we take Holtz anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad