Pre-Game Talk: The 2019 off-season thread Part 4: Last Thread before the madness starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
Some posters here are overreacting hard about potentially not getting Panarin. If we get a top 10 goalie when our biggest weakness last year was goaltending, it will be a great July 1st for us. Panarin never guaranteed he was coming here. Let's see how things play out over the next 12 hours.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
I mean if the islanders give him something stupid like 12 or more then go ahead, I’ll guess it’ll be 11.75, but we gotta add a top-4 D via trade, stralman isn’t the answer, add a bottom pairing guy through free agency sure but they’re not gonna find too much otherwise. A strong middle-6 forward and some depth could be done via free agency

Edit: if they miss out on Panarin then why not go for pavelski? He wouldn’t be a long term signing, would be cheaper while still being one of the top producers. More likely we go with a bolland-esk contract going to Wayne Simmonds, and add Justin Williams or something

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Leddy is the best available d-man I can think of if Panarin signs with NYI. Who else could we trade for? I know, I know, Q supposedly wasn’t his biggest fan

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I mean if the islanders give him something stupid like 12 or more then go ahead, I’ll guess it’ll be 11.75, but we gotta add a top-4 D via trade, stralman isn’t the answer, add a bottom pairing guy through free agency sure but they’re not gonna find too much otherwise. A strong middle-6 forward and some depth could be done via free agency

Edit: if they miss out on Panarin then why not go for pavelski? He wouldn’t be a long term signing, would be cheaper while still being one of the top producers. More likely we go with a bolland-esk contract going to Wayne Simmonds, and add Justin Williams or something
Pavelski is going to Dallas

barkovcanfinnish

remember to breathe
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
There were a lot of reasons for Panarin to come here. His old coach, former teammate from Russia, talented forward core, coming with Bob, playing in South Florida. We have the cap space to get him, must be some other reasons.

The Islanders lost Tavares last year, you gotta think their fanbase wanted some redemption for that and to get another star player to replace the hole it left. Wonder how much he's gonna make.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Some posters here are overreacting hard about potentially not getting Panarin. If we get a top 10 goalie when our biggest weakness last year was goaltending, it will be a great July 1st for us. Panarin never guaranteed he was coming here. Let's see how things play out over the next 12 hours.
We have a ton of cap space and want something impactful beyond goaltending. We missed out on Panarin and because we tried to get him, we also missed on Kessel and Subban. Both on manageable contracts re: term and we prob could have traded for

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
We have two spots available in our top-9 (one of which could potentially be filled by Tippett) and we need a 4th line center. We also need a top-4 defenseman and preferably a bottom pairing one too. Let’s see what happens I suppose

IceKitties

Dec 31, 2017
Florida
We have a ton of cap space and want something impactful beyond goaltending. We missed out on Panarin and because we tried to get him, we also missed on Kessel and Subban. Both on manageable contracts re: term and we prob could have traded for

As someone else in this thread said, it takes two to tango. In free agency you can't force someone to sign with you, especially if they are asking for a crazy high % of your cap that you're not willing to give up. Kessel and Subban are another story entirely, but we aren't in Dale's office. We don't know the exact details of those trades, and as far as I know Kessel had an NMC so no clue whether or not he would have wanted to come here. I understand being frustrated about not getting a great player in Panarin, but getting enraged by it isn't good for your health. Plus it sounds like we just got an awesome #1 goaltender that will make games a lot less anxiety-inducing than the goaltending we got last year (still love you though Lu).

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
One concussion can make that 13M appear worse than Ek or Reims.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Sergei Bobrovsky xsv%(expected sv%) in 18-19 season(all situations,behind great Torts defence) - 90,95%, Roberto Luongo xsv% in 18-19 (behind tire fire defence)- 90,65%. Columbus Goals for-256, Florida Goals for-264. You will be fine.

Reactions: Dutch Panther

MillarWithASave

#CatsAreComing
Dec 12, 2011
Melbourne, FL
You would think that Panarin would have a super easy choice in coming to Florida. Bob, Q, the lifestyle. What does New York have that we don't?

We must have offered him something less than 10M imo.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
You would think that Panarin would have a super easy choice in coming to Florida. Bob, Q, the lifestyle. What does New York have that we don't?

We must have offered him something less than 10M imo.

He can live in Manhattan and commute which is similar to living in Miami and commuting. I can get preferring the NYC life style, especially as a European...

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
We have two spots available in our top-9 (one of which could potentially be filled by Tippett) and we need a 4th line center. We also need a top-4 defenseman and preferably a bottom pairing one too. Let’s see what happens I suppose
I'm thinking we go with Juho on the 4th line and only grab one other defenseman (with Brown, Cosh, Keeper battling for the 7th spot).

-ghoste

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
I mean how big is Q an influence to Bread besides familiarity? Trotz is a great coach also. Honest question.

And perhaps he and his girl want the New York scene. I'm not gonna lie, if someone paid for my vacation and asked if I wanted to go to NYC or Miami, I'm going to New York.

-ghoste

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
Jeez reading this thread is humorous in the mood shift.

One minute it’s a celebration and the next it’s the phases of acceptance. We don’t want you anyways! What is it we don’t have that New York does? :( it’s okay, we can still have a good team.

Anyways. Humor aside... why not just wait for tomorrow? Don’t tie yourself to an answer you don’t yet know.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Huberdeau-Barkov-Dadonov
Hoffman-Trocheck-Vatrano
Connolly-Borgstrom-Sceviour
Brouwer-Sheahan-Hawryluk

Ekblad-Yandle
Matheson-Stralman
Weegar-Pysyk

Bob
Monty

looks good to me, top 9 is stacked

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
I don’t see any reason for Panarin to sign with NYI. There’s no Russian players there, no beaches, no Bob. I don’t know if that extra million will be that important

Reactions: IceKitties
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad