Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part V

**** the Draft Lottery, at 4th overall you choose?

• Peyton Krebs, C/LW [Kootenay Ice, WHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
I’m not getting attached to any prospect, as I fully expect Chicago will take them.

2ywp39.jpg

:sarcasm:

In all seriousness, I look forward to the talented player Colorado will add, whichever center, wing, or defenseman that may be.

Reactions: Give and Go

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't see how Dach has a sky high ceiling and Cozens doesn't... personally I can't see either going beyond good 1st liner. Don't see beyond that with Turcotte either. Your sky high guys are Zegras and Tomasino. I'm certainly not a pro OHL guy this year, but I'd select Tomasino in a heartbeat at 16... ultra dynamic and exciting player... even if he has major holes physically and defensively.
How I see it;
- Dach has the highest potential of the three - that close to Ryan Getzlaf if everything works out, but will most likely not reach it. 30/70
- Cozens has the best floor to become a very good second line centre, but I do think there are limits in his talent level. 50/50
- Turcotte has the best chance of having high-end potential and actually reaching it. 60/40

All three probably become low-end 1st line centres for their respected teams akin to Matt Duchene or Sean Monahan, but I still believe that Turcotte has the best chance of surpassing and giving a team a fantastic 1-2 punch similar to Penguins (of course not as good). Dach still has issues of even becoming centre, but if figures out some things in the next couple of years he should be lethal. Cozens has some puck skill limitations, but his speed and shot should be quite a combo once he becomes more mature in frame and just experience (perhaps you can say that there is hidden talent with him which reminds me of Landeskog).
I say avoid positional need with the #4 and just swing for the fences.
Not sure I agree, I am more with Hench is that BPA is important, but when you have this many players bunched up and this many centres you gotta get a centre.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Byram at 4.
Then shoot for the stars and go for a high ceiling forward at 16. Caufield or Newhook.

I know there’s a lot of apprehension around Newhook but he’s about to turn a lot of heads at these U-18’s. Remember the hype Jost got from the U-18’s being relatively unknown coming out of the BCHL? Newhook is a lot better than Jost was.

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
I want Turcotte at 4 and either Caufield, Dorofoyev, or Kaliyev at 16 if we go with a forward or Heinola or York if we go with a defenseman. I know Kaliyev drives a lot of people crazy but there is no doubt the kid can put the puck in the net. I think at 16 we need to take a chance on huge upside kid instead of playing it safe and I feel like Kaliyev is exactly that. Good chance he doesn’t make it but if he does he will be a steal.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Newhook is a lot better than Jost was.
In the BCHL games I watched, Jost was definitely better than Newhook and Alexandre Campbell (really like him, super underrated prospect) was better than Newhook at times as well.

Jost was way more noticeable because he was always a very reliable player and took care of his mistakes. Newhook has some Suzukitis and is beyond useless when he doesn't have the puck (a situation he will learn jumping from Junior A to NCAA). When he had the puck, he was quite dynamic which is why he's ranked as a 1st rounder. A problem I have is that Newhook gets an absurd amount of points on the PP - I am pretty sure that Jost did the same thing in the BCHL - so I am not going to say that's a negative, but more of a concern when his 5v5 isn't as good as others for this draft. I've heard good things though about him thus far in the U18, so hopefully you're right and he becomes a potential homerun selection at 16th-25th.

Reactions: timothy jimothy

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Canada and the US won their games in the opening of the U18s, although both were sluggish at the beginning.

Peyton Krebs with a goal and an assist for Canada. Cozens with zero points.

Caufield had a hat trick, Boldy with three assists, and Turcotte with a goal and an assist (Hughes with one assist).

Podkolzin had zero points in Russia's defeat of Slovakia (6-3).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
In the BCHL games I watched, Jost was definitely better than Newhook and Alexandre Campbell (really like him, super underrated prospect) was better than Newhook at times as well.

Jost was way more noticeable because he was always a very reliable player and took care of his mistakes. Newhook has some Suzukitis and is beyond useless when he doesn't have the puck (a situation he will learn jumping from Junior A to NCAA). When he had the puck, he was quite dynamic which is why he's ranked as a 1st rounder. A problem I have is that Newhook gets an absurd amount of points on the PP - I am pretty sure that Jost did the same thing in the BCHL - so I am not going to say that's a negative, but more of a concern when his 5v5 isn't as good as others for this draft. I've heard good things though about him thus far in the U18, so hopefully you're right and he becomes a potential homerun selection at 16th-25th.
Agree to disagree for sure. To me Newhook was on a completely different level compared to Jost. I watched a lot of both. I actually watched a lot more BC this year than all the CHL leagues combined lol.

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
What are people’s opinions on Zegras? I don’t really hear people talking about him on this site but I’ve read that he might have one of the highest ceilings if he can reach it. Is he a possibility at 4? Henchy I would love to hear your take.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What are people’s opinions on Zegras? I don’t really hear people talking about him on this site but I’ve read that he might have one of the highest ceilings if he can reach it. Is he a possibility at 4? Henchy I would love to hear your take.

I know Henchy loves him.

Reactions: henchman21

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Mock draft: Three players in running to be picked after Hughes, Kakko

NHL.com experts split on who will be selected at No. 3

NHL.com @NHLdotcom

NHL.com writers Adam Kimelman, Mike G. Morreale and Guillaume Lepage agree center Jack Hughes and forward Kaapo Kakko will be the first two players selected at the 2019 NHL Draft, to be held at Rogers Arena in Vancouver from June 21-22.

Their opinions go in different directions after the top two players are selected.

Mock draft: Three players in running to be picked after Hughes, Kakko

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

I think I've spoke about Zegras quite a bit... he's raw and he needs more experience and development at center, but he has some of the best tools in the draft. He is going to fill out at 6'-6'1" ~200lbs with dynamic skating and an incredible hockey sense and creativity. There is certainly risk to him... he hasn't played a ton of center this year, his defensive skills are pretty raw, he tends to be a perimeter player... but when he is on, I think only Hughes is more purely talented. There is a very high ceiling on his game, it wouldn't shock me in the least to see him end up a PPG player.... it also wouldn't shock me to see him become a enigmatic 50 winger that drives you nuts because he has so much more he can do.

zzs06

Jul 11, 2017
I think I've spoke about Zegras quite a bit... he's raw and he needs more experience and development at center, but he has some of the best tools in the draft. He is going to fill out at 6'-6'1" ~200lbs with dynamic skating and an incredible hockey sense and creativity. There is certainly risk to him... he hasn't played a ton of center this year, his defensive skills are pretty raw, he tends to be a perimeter player... but when he is on, I think only Hughes is more purely talented. There is a very high ceiling on his game, it wouldn't shock me in the least to see him end up a PPG player.... it also wouldn't shock me to see him become a enigmatic 50 winger that drives you nuts because he has so much more he can do.

Thank you for the response. Do you see the Avs having any interest? I’m hoping they pick Turcotte but Zegras sounds intriguing.

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
How I see it;
- Dach has the highest potential of the three - that close to Ryan Getzlaf if everything works out, but will most likely not reach it. 30/70
- Cozens has the best floor to become a very good second line centre, but I do think there are limits in his talent level. 50/50
- Turcotte has the best chance of having high-end potential and actually reaching it. 60/40

All three probably become low-end 1st line centres for their respected teams akin to Matt Duchene or Sean Monahan, but I still believe that Turcotte has the best chance of surpassing and giving a team a fantastic 1-2 punch similar to Penguins (of course not as good). Dach still has issues of even becoming centre, but if figures out some things in the next couple of years he should be lethal. Cozens has some puck skill limitations, but his speed and shot should be quite a combo once he becomes more mature in frame and just experience (perhaps you can say that there is hidden talent with him which reminds me of Landeskog).

Not sure I agree, I am more with Hench is that BPA is important, but when you have this many players bunched up and this many centres you gotta get a centre.

Seph, who would you go for when you pick 4th Overall? Turcotte sounds good with the highest ceiling but according to scouts he will not go 4th overall. Scouts think that Podkolzin is the 3rd or 4th best pick. I would go for Byram but if Chicago picks him, then I would go for Podkolzin. I have a good feeling about drafting Podkolzin. I was watching his highlight goals and snipes, wow, there is a reason why he will be drafted so high.

Sakic will probably talk to him and if they orally agree that he will come over and wants to be with Avs, there should be no scare from that Russian factor.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Canada and the US won their games in the opening of the U18s, although both were sluggish at the beginning.

Peyton Krebs with a goal and an assist for Canada. Cozens with zero points.

Caufield had a hat trick, Boldy with three assists, and Turcotte with a goal and an assist (Hughes with one assist).

Podkolzin had zero points in Russia's defeat of Slovakia (6-3).
I said before and I'll say it again... Krebs will go higher than he is projected. He is so underrated in this draft. I would personally take him before Couzens and Dach. Turcotte being my favorite.

Reactions: timothy jimothy

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Avs aren't in a position to get fancy with a 4OA pick. No need to swing for the fences right now, we already have our superstars.

We need a center who'll play second fiddle to Mackinnon and we want to stay as far away as possible from the top guy who'll bust out.

With that in mind, who has the highest floor between Cozens, Dach and Turcotte?

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Avs aren't in a position to get fancy with a 4OA pick. No need to swing for the fences right now, we already have our superstars.

We need a center who'll play second fiddle to Mackinnon and we want to stay as far away as possible from the top guy who'll bust out.

I still want Byram assuming availability and agree, there is no need to chase an unknown with Podkolzin.

Still prefer Cozens, but Turcotte might be a good choice. Similar to ROR, he scores at the same rate as Hughes, but plays strong Defence. Injuries kept his games played low, but might change my opinion closer to the draft.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Byram at 4.
Then shoot for the stars and go for a high ceiling forward at 16. Caufield or Newhook.

I know there’s a lot of apprehension around Newhook but he’s about to turn a lot of heads at these U-18’s. Remember the hype Jost got from the U-18’s being relatively unknown coming out of the BCHL? Newhook is a lot better than Jost was.
I find your lack of faith disturbing

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I still want Byram assuming availability and agree, there is no need to chase an unknown with Podkolzin.

Yeah I'd not be upset with Byram but we need a center. The way Makar is playing and projecting change things, especially since Bednar has played him on his off-side already so he's open to play him on the left (I don't agree with that but I'm no coach).

From what I've collected here during the last year, the "cons" for each player would go like this:

Cozens: Highest floor but a huge range of possibilities. Hard to predict.
Dach: Size and talent but also appears to have the most red flags of the 3.
Turcotte: Injury risk, smaller body. Needs to change his playing style for longevity (which could affect his effectiveness).

AvsMakar08

Feb 14, 2017
New York
Yeah I'd not be upset with Byram but we need a center. The way Makar is playing and projecting change things, especially since Bednar has played him on his off-side already so he's open to play him on the left (I don't agree with that but I'm no coach).

From what I've collected here during the last year, the "cons" for each player would go like this:

Cozens: Highest floor but a huge range of possibilities. Hard to predict.
Dach: Size and talent but also appears to have the most red flags of the 3.
Turcotte: Injury risk, smaller body. Needs to change his playing style for longevity (which could affect his effectiveness).

We need to go to what most scouts pick. e

Still prefer Cozens, but Turcotte might be a good choice. Similar to ROR, he scores at the same rate as Hughes, but plays strong Defence. Injuries kept his games played low, but might change my opinion closer to the draft.

There is a reason why scouts are choosing Podkolzin closer to the top 2 pick then anyone else.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO

I’d say as far as floors go, it’s Cozens > Turcotte > Dach. Upside is likely Dach/Turcotte > Cozens.

I want Turcotte (have been a fan of his for most of the year), but expect Cozens.

Tike Myson

Jan 1, 2019
USA
We need to go to what most scouts pick. e

There is a reason why scouts are choosing Podkolzin closer to the top 2 pick then anyone else.

I’m both intrigued and a bit scared at the same time, any one got any good clips of Podz?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad