Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part V

**** the Draft Lottery, at 4th overall you choose?

• Peyton Krebs, C/LW [Kootenay Ice, WHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Trade both to move up? New York doesn't need a RW, they have......oh god maybe they do need Kakko....
Yah Rangers need Kakko just as much as the Devils need Hughes. Those two picks arent going anywhere. When I see SEPH say Byram is a potential Rielly or Doughty I cant help but think how come hes not the consensus #4?

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
tenor.gif

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't quite understand this talk about Turcotte or Cozens. Why those guys over Dach who is my personal favourite?

There's concerns about whether Dach can play Center in the NHL. His skating isn't exceptional, and work ethic and engagement concerns exist with Dach as well.

With Turcotte and Cozens you get two very high end skaters who will have no trouble playing Center in the NHL. In Cozens you also get a guy with great size and a very strong two way game that will be a near perfect fit behind Mack down the middle. While Turcotte doesn't have the size Cozens has, he has even more skill and a fantastic motor that doesn't quit. If anything there's concerns about Turcotte playing a risky style that lends itself to the potential of injuries in the NHL and he'll have to adapt. But(And the Parise comparison earlier was almost perfect), he should be able to make those adjustments and will turn into a pretty ridiculous Top 6 Center in the NHL very soon.

Another good example for Turcotte IMO would be a prime Ryan Kesler. If Dach transitions to a Center at the NHL he would probably be up with these guys, but I and others aren't convinced he can do that. Similar to the concerns around Jost and how he doesn't look like a Center in the NHL.

Reactions: ElizaE
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
One player I'm not interested in: Byram. Even without Barrie Avs will have a good D corps with Girard, Makar, EJ and Zadorov. They need more forwards.

Really? Because I want Byram since top-end defenders are hard to come by and if Byram-Makar reach their potential that’s a top of the league pairing right there.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Cozens please. If not I’m ok with rolling the dice on Podkolzin. He’s special. Byram to me would still leave a glaring hole that I’m not sure we can fill without a top pick. In terms of forward depth. Ideally not Turcotte. Not that he’s not good. Just feel the Avs need more size and two way game

LHD aside. We have Meloche and Timmins and end of the day one of them can play LHD. Unless you plan on trading Barrie for a forward

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Really? Because I want Byram since top-end defenders are hard to come by and if Byram-Makar reach their potential that’s a top of the league pairing right there.

There's two problems: Where will Avs get quality forwards from? And that development will take a long, long time. 5 years maybe.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I don't understand why people want the most NHL ready player, just make the best pick available. If we had won multiple playoff rounds sure but this team hasn't even won a playoff round yet, they might still be very far from being contenders. We need the best player in this draft I don't care if he's not ready till like 2021.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Cozens please. If not I’m ok with rolling the dice on Podkolzin. He’s special. Byram to me would still leave a glaring hole that I’m not sure we can fill without a top pick. In terms of forward depth. Ideally not Turcotte. Not that he’s not good. Just feel the Avs need more size and two way game

LHD aside. We have Meloche and Timmins and end of the day one of them can play LHD. Unless you plan on trading Barrie for a forward

Turcotte is probably one of the two-way forwards in this draft. The Parise comparison is pretty good, a much better skating O’Reilly is what I think he could become. Guy never stops going after the play.

Reactions: Ryan Patsky

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Some recent players taken at #s 4-6:
Brady and Matt Tkachuk
Makar
Petersson
Marner
Hanifin
Seth Jones
Elias lindholm
Sean Monahan
Hampus lindholm
Morgan reilly
Zibanejad
Johansen

Some recent players taken 16-18
Tarasenko
Tom Wilson
Hertl
Teravainen
Zadorov
Tuch
Barzal
Connor
Chabot
Chychrun

Obviously not every draft is 2015 but if our scouts do a good job we should be a able to draft 2 good players despite the lottery luck.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Team needs should not be in the conversation at all for the #4 pick. The Avs need secondary scoring *now*, whomever they draft, even if it's a forward, likely won't be fulfilling that job adequately for 1-3 years. Henchy has highlighted Dubois as an example before...went back to junior for +1 season, had a sort of tentative +2 season and got better as it went along, and now, in draft year +3, is a true high end top six forward. Good chance any forward the Avs pick might follow a similiar trend.

Point being, if they draft a forward #4 this year that forward is not going to be solving secondary scoring needs right now. Sakic has to figure that out on his own outside of the draft. Pick BPA, think long term with this pick.

I personally want Byram if he's there at #4.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Byram looks smooth just based on YT scouting. I can honestly see the Hawks taking him at 3. Im not sure who is coming for the Hawks in terms of defenders but Keith and Seabrook cant play forver and im not convinced Gustafsson is going to repeat the season he just had.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't understand why people want the most NHL ready player, just make the best pick available. If we had won multiple playoff rounds sure but this team hasn't even won a playoff round yet, they might still be very far from being contenders. We need the best player in this draft I don't care if he's not ready till like 2021.

I think it's cause some folks got so caught up in fantasizing about this pick solving our forward issues...so that Joe wouldn't need to hit in FA or the trade market to give the big guns the support that they need...that they're holding onto that thinking even though Joe is now going to have to be active this summer whether we pick the most "NHL ready" prospect or not; meaning that we should have reinforcements up front whether we're waiting 1 year or 2 two for our pick to make the nhl roster.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Well hopefully Pod falls to 4, but one of Turcotte / Cozens / Byram / Zegras would be nice even if he doesn't.

What do you think of Pod? I know nothing of him but my gut is screaming that he might give Kakko and Hughes a run for their money.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Team needs should not be in the conversation at all for the #4 pick. The Avs need secondary scoring *now*, whomever they draft, even if it's a forward, likely won't be fulfilling that job adequately for 1-3 years. Henchy has highlighted Dubois as an example before...went back to junior for +1 season, had a sort of tentative +2 season and got better as it went along, and now, in draft year +3, is a true high end top six forward. Good chance any forward the Avs pick might follow a similiar trend.

Point being, if they draft a forward #4 this year that forward is not going to be solving secondary scoring needs right now. Sakic has to figure that out on his own outside of the draft. Pick BPA, think long term with this pick.

I personally want Byram if he's there at #4.
Joe Sakic cannot sleep this summer. He has to address the second line problem this time and not let the kids figure it out. Kevin Hayes on the second line addresses that secondary scoring today while drafting Byram helps us in a few years. Im all for that.

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014
Turcotte is probably one of the two-way forwards in this draft. The Parise comparison is pretty good, a much better skating O’Reilly is what I think he could become. Guy never stops going after the play.
Interesting. Well I won’t be mad at that. But I feel Cozens or Podkolzin will be there and I’ll personally prefer that.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I’m a little worried about Cozens playmaking/vision, he seems a bit predictable in his shoot first off the rush approach

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Big stretch and probably not going to happen. But any thoughts of the Illinois Boy Turcotte going to Chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad