Prospect Info: The 2019 Entry NHL Draft Thread - Part IV

Avs are currently 42nd overall in the second as of 3/12, who you got?

• Jamieson Rees, C [Sarnia Sting, OHL]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Obviously the hope is we can get one of Hughes or Kakko, but if we ended up picking Byram high, I'd want one of Newhook, Krebs, Dach, Zegras, Turcotte, whichever one drops to us if it's possible. If we end up with a high-end forward in the top 4, I would not mind picking either another forward or one of Soderstrom/York.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Stupid question #Frankly, I’ve lost count:

How do scouts identify a Kucherov or Point,
Kucherov was going to be a late 1st, but fell due to being Russian where the KHL was super strong and kept all their players at the time (there was absolutely no word he was ever going to come over at the time) . I loved Point during his draft year, I called him a two-way Briere at the time. He fell because he was like 5'7" and 155 lbs at the time of his draft and teams didn't trust small forwards as much as they do now. If it wasn't for Point and those type of players like Gaudreau, DeBrincat would've been a 3rd to 5th rounder instead of a 2nd. IMHO.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
If everyone in front of us continues winning and we end up out of the POs who are we rooting for in the 8-13 range?

Whoever drops? Knight? Any personal favourites?

Boldy seems like a guy that could slot into a productive role sooner than later.
The highest we can pick IMO is 7th but more realistically it will be 9-14. If we are 9-11 it will depend of how the 3-10 went and possibly one of them drops out of the top-10. the 3-10 range can really go in a lot of different ways. It is really hard to predict as it seems to be wide open this year in that range. Unless one drops out of the top-10 if we are 11-14 I'd like Heinola, Soderstrom, Selder, Knight, Dorofeyev and York. I don't think the Avs will pick a goalie that high. Soderstrom and Seider would be very good picks but they are RFD and Seider's injuries are concerning.

Edit: Added Dorofeyev.

Last edited:

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Are you talking about placement, because I am talking about players' potential? I think he's been super wrong on that the last couple of years.
His list was right on the first 6 picks. So probably placement. I think he has a decent idea of where players will go. But maybe he doesn't rank completely on ceiling. If thats what your saying than thats fair.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The highest we can pick IMO is 7th but more realistically it will be 9-14. If we are 9-11 it will depend of how the 3-10 went and possibly one of them drops out of the top-10. the 3-10 range can really go in a lot of different ways. It is really hard to predict as it seems to be wide open this year in that range. Unless one drops out of the top-10 if we are 11-14 I'd like Heinola, Soderstrom, Selder, Knight and York. I don't think the Avs will pick a goalie that high. Soderstrom and Seider would be very good picks but they are RFD and Seider's injuries are concerning.
I hate to quote myself but I forgot to add Dorofeyev to my list of players I would take with our own pick.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
NEW YORK (March 13, 2019) – The National Hockey League announced that the 2019 NHL Draft Lottery will be held Tuesday, April 9, in Toronto. The results of the Draft Lottery will be revealed live by national rightsholders NBCSN, Sportsnet and TVA Sports during a one-hour show beginning at 8 p.m., ET.
The 2019 NHL Draft Lottery will consist of three drawings: the 1st Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting first overall, the 2nd Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting second overall and the 3rd Lottery Draw will determine the club selecting third overall.
The 15 clubs that do not qualify for the 2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs – or the clubs that have acquired the first-round picks of those non-playoff clubs – will participate in the 2019 NHL Draft Lottery.

Much more exciting with three different draws instead of just presenting the teams in reverse order.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
The highest we can pick IMO is 7th but more realistically it will be 9-14. If we are 9-11 it will depend of how the 3-10 went and possibly one of them drops out of the top-10. the 3-10 range can really go in a lot of different ways. It is really hard to predict as it seems to be wide open this year in that range. Unless one drops out of the top-10 if we are 11-14 I'd like Heinola, Soderstrom, Selder, Knight, Dorofeyev and York. I don't think the Avs will pick a goalie that high. Soderstrom and Seider would be very good picks but they are RFD and Seider's injuries are concerning.

Edit: Added Dorofeyev.

AVs are likely picking 9-12. They recently picked a DMen in the 1st after 10+ years - Makar. So unless a player falls such as: Turcotte, Krebs, Boldy or Lavoie, I suspect Knight would be the choice as he represents the biggest weakness.

Drafting a Goalie usually requires 3-4 years of development and likely to never develop. Knight is considered among the best Goalie prospects in years, a much lower risk. A position with no decent prospects, I can’t think of a better choice with the pick. The only other team that might be interested draftingthis high could be EDM.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
AVs are likely picking 9-12. They recently picked a DMen in the 1st after 10+ years - Makar. So unless a player falls such as: Turcotte, Krebs, Boldy or Lavoie, I suspect Knight would be the choice as he represents the biggest weakness.

Drafting a Goalie usually requires 3-4 years of development and likely to never develop. Knight is considered among the best Goalie prospects in years, lowering the risks. A position with no decent prospects, I can’t think of a better choice with the pick. The only team that might be interested is EDM.

Duncan Siemens is offended you’ve forgotten about him. Especially because he’s your favourite kind of hockey player.

Reactions: Patagonia

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Duncan Siemens is offended you’ve forgotten about him. Especially because he’s your favourite kind of hockey player.

I forgot about him, but was never fond of the pick. Loved his nastiness, but offered no offence. I preferred Klefboom (still like him). Not a great draft and most of the better players were in the later rounds.

Jost was another player due to lack of size, speed and competition which were concerns. Brown or Stanley (probably worse) or Chychrun or McAvoy (better).

AVs badly need Goalies and don’t have any in the near future. Knight seems to make the most sense unless the earlier mentioned players fall out of the Top 10.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006

Drafting a Goalie usually requires 3-4 years of development and likely to never develop. Knight is considered among the best Goalie prospects in years, a much lower risk. A position with no decent prospects, I can’t think of a better choice with the pick. The only other team that might be interested draftingthis high could be EDM.
Our depth at LHD is pretty bad as well so I wouldn't be surprised if they pick a dman with their pick. I just have problems seeing them picking a goalie that high. Personally I'd be ok with it obviously.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Our depth at LHD is pretty bad as well so I wouldn't be surprised if they pick a dman with their pick. I just have problems seeing them picking a goalie that high. Personally I'd be ok with it obviously.

LHD depth is poor, but withGirard and Zadorov being young, less of anurgency. Some possibilities (order of preference):

Byram - Harley - Broberg - Robertson.

Byram is the best choice and prefer drafting 4th. The last 2 names might have already peaked with some concerns. Harley has jumped in recent months to a possible Top 10 Pick.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
LHD depth is poor, but withGirard and Zadorov being young, less of anurgency. Some possibilities (order of preference):

Byram - Harley - Broberg - Robertson.

Byram is the best choice and prefer drafting 4th. The last 2 names might have already peaked with some concerns. Harley has jumped in recent months to a possible Top 10 Pick.
Only Sportsnet has Harley in the top-10. Soderstrom is probably the only other dman that has a chance to break the top-10. I would pick Heinola before any of the three others you listed.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
If everyone in front of us continues winning and we end up out of the POs who are we rooting for in the 8-13 range?

Whoever drops? Knight? Any personal favourites?

Boldy seems like a guy that could slot into a productive role sooner than later.

I selfishly want Knight only because it'd be fun as hell to have a star goalie prospect in the system to watch. But I don't think Sakic and Hepple would go for a goalie in the first round, they seem to love their bargin bin Euros.

Much more exciting with three different draws instead of just presenting the teams in reverse order.

I don't think that mean that's how they're going to televise the draft. I think they're just providing details on how the draft works.

Reactions: Patagonia

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I hope they still have the GMs all standing there awkwardly like they're in some sort of weird game show. The look on Dorion's face when he didn't end up with the top pick was priceless.

I must have missed that, I have to go back and watch now.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
I hope they still have the GMs all standing there awkwardly like they're in some sort of weird game show. The look on Dorion's face when he didn't end up with the top pick was priceless.

I don't believe OTT will have a lottery pick, so there is no reason for attending the draw.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

Sakic had quite a long face after the draw in 2017. I remember McKenzie saying that "one GM was very upset with the new rules allowing teams to drop more than one position" and most people assumed it was Joe.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

My bad...I thought they were all standing awkwardly. They were sitting awkwardly in really high chairs.

Some fun highlights:
  • Ken Holland and Jim Benning both looking like someone shit in their salad when their pick was announced.
  • Bergevin with a "FIGHT ME" look when he knew the Habs would be in the top three.
  • The guy the Flyers sent (no idea who he is) sitting in the background bears a striking resemblance to Lurch from the Addams Family.
  • They announce the Coyotes pick and Chayka just kinda nods his head, meanwhile Benning is in the background still fuming. :laugh:
If you wanna fast forward and see the build-up and announcement of the Sens pick, start around the 3:20 mark.

mapletreemarty

Jan 26, 2017
Thunder Bay
I'm sure this has been addressed already but I was curious, if the lottery balls fall out of our favour and say we end up picking #4 and #11/12 overall. Would you package our 2 1st round picks this year (or #4 OA and next year's 1st?) to climb up to #1/2 to grab Hughes/Kakko??? Is there that much separation between those two and who we would get at the #4 spot? Or just stand pat, curse the lottery Gods and make your picks.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sakic had quite a long face after the draw in 2017. I remember McKenzie saying that "one GM was very upset with the new rules allowing teams to drop more than one position" and most people assumed it was Joe.

Have we ever really seen Joe truly enraged? I mean, even when he fought Dougie Gilmour he still didn't *look* that upset. :laugh:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm sure this has been addressed already but I was curious, if the lottery balls fall out of our favour and say we end up picking #4 and #11/12 overall. Would you package our 2 1st round picks this year (or #4 OA and next year's 1st?) to climb up to #1/2 to grab Hughes/Kakko??? Is there that much separation between those two and who we would get at the #4 spot? Or just stand pat, curse the lottery Gods and make your picks.

No, absolutely not. Just use the picks wherever they may end up. I think Hughes still ends up being the top pick but I also don't believe there's a huge amount of separation between him and Kaako. Beyond that you're still likely to get a very talented player to build around.

Reactions: Nyx and McMetal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad