Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
I agree on Turcotte, think he goes somewhere in the 4-7 range and I highly doubt we'll have a shot at him unfortunately, he's gonna be a stud.... and yes Matt (answerjesus) I would definitely be happy with Krebs if we end up around 10, I'm also a big fan of Zegras too. One guy I would really love with our late pick is Dorofeyev, he's just as impressive as Podkolzin but doesn't get anywhere near the same hype. Have my doubts Botteril would even consider him tho.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It will be interesting to see if the trend of staying away from CHL prospects continues.

Botterill has made 12 picks and there have been no CHL players and no Russian players selected.

With the US NTDP having around 7 players that are in consideration as 1st round picks, along with another 8 or so non-Russian Europeans and USHS/Jr A players, there will be plenty of 1st round options to keep the trend going.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Ugh I really didn’t wanna waste my time with prospects yet again we sit he looking at another top 10 pick.

On another note, it’s crazy how much less time I have then 2-3 years ago. In 2012-2016 I could have told you about pretty much any player in the OHL and most players in the draft, I spend hours upon hours watching games and researching, now I’d be hard pressed to know more then the top 15 players, priorities change I guess.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Ugh I really didn’t wanna waste my time with prospects yet again we sit he looking at another top 10 pick.

On another note, it’s crazy how much less time I have then 2-3 years ago. In 2012-2016 I could have told you about pretty much any player in the OHL and most players in the draft, I spend hours upon hours watching games and researching, now I’d be hard pressed to know more then the top 15 players, priorities change I guess.

Same here - I don’t watch non-NHL hockey at all anymore. Both because lack of time and the fact that I’ve lost interest, knowing that no draft picks or prospects will ever be able to help the Sabres with the management and coaching teams we have in place.

If we picked today it would be pick 11 I think? And the Blues pick would be 17? Both exciting and depressing

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watched Newhook last night, impressed with his shot and offensive instincts. His short area quickness is quality, might not be the best over distance, and of course it's the BCJHL so that's always worth taking pause. Anyway, I'm trying to find anything to keep interested in hockey at this point beyond the dysfunctional relationship I have with the Sabres. :biglaugh:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I think the Sabres will end up around 10. Which is an interesting spot to be. My top ten:

Tier 1: Hughes, Kakko
Tier 2: Podkolzin, Dach, Cozens, Turcotte
Tier 3: Byram, Krebs, Zegras, Boldy

Coming away with a player from Tier 3, or even a faller from Tier 2, would be a coup for the Sabres considering the young talent already in the organization.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I think the Sabres will end up around 10. Which is an interesting spot to be. My top ten:

Tier 1: Hughes, Kakko
Tier 2: Podkolzin, Dach, Cozens, Turcotte
Tier 3: Byram, Krebs, Zegras, Boldy

Coming away with a player from Tier 3, or even a faller from Tier 2, would be a coup for the Sabres considering the young talent already in the organization.

Thanks for keeping us posted - we have a lot of needs, as usual, so that should keep us flexible in our choices. I’m going to try to start watching these guys.

We seem to get a coup every draft, but none of them seem to help, sadly.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Thanks for keeping us posted - we have a lot of needs, as usual, so that should keep us flexible in our choices. I’m going to try to start watching these guys.

We seem to get a coup every draft, but none of them seem to help, sadly.

Short summary of the Tier 3 players:

Byram: smart puck mover. Similar to Duncan Keith in some respects, as he controls the game. Plays physical too.
Krebs: a little offensive engine for Kootenay. Some Marner in his game (playmaker from the wing). Very aggressive.
Zegras: offensive dynamo. Gets over-looked playing with Hughes at USNTDP. Playmaker.
Boldy: new age power forward with high IQ and loaded with skill. Great skater as well.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I can't see us taking a D in the top 10.

Byram seems like the only one who is consistently rated in the top 10, so probably not going to happen anyway, but why not? If the player is clearly the BPA on their board, what is the reason to not take defense? Beyond Laaksonen who is in need of time to put on muscle and make adjustments to the NA style and rinks, it's not like the blueline is good at the pro level or stocked with complete defensemen in the minors (Borgen, defense first; Pilut small and subject to front office whim or in the amateur ranks (Samuelsson big but still questions about skating and offensive translation/defense first; Bryson see "Pilut, Lawrence"; Fitzgerald struggling; Hickey long shot, the Scandinavian/Finn crew all long-shots).

So depth-wise, there is a continued need to get better.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Sabres would be wise to take Byram if he dropped to their pick. Complete D who projects as a #1 puck moving, all situations defender. Not too many of those.

I expect him to go top 5-6. If he makes it to where we are, he'd be a no brainer for sure. Might be my favorite non-Dahlin dman since Seth Jones.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
With the San Jose pick, go BPA all the way. I really like Connor McMichael if he makes it that far. Think of a faster version of Pavelski. Kid is money below the dots.

Also, I really like some of the power forwards. Beecher with USNTDP is a power center who skates fast and plays hard. Would look great in a bottom 6. Legare needs some skating work but he's a good net front presence. Grewe is a Swedish version of Varada.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Sabres would be wise to take Byram if he dropped to their pick. Complete D who projects as a #1 puck moving, all situations defender. Not too many of those.
Agreed on Byram. He'd be a fantastic add. Outside of him I don't want a defenseman if we're in the top 10. Your tiers are spot on. There's a significant dropoff after the top 10. It's why I've been beating my drum for over a month that this team needs to shit or get off the pot this season. They need one of these top 10 guys.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
What happened to broberg? Guy was a ****ing stud at the u18s and was good at u20

Thought he was overrated even then. Scored on a few rushes, and showed great speed, but also showed iffy d-zone awareness and passing ability. Reminded me a ton of Risto, without the physicality.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I want a complete skilled forward who has some sandpaper, unfortunately they don’t make many like that anymore. All these kids just wanna be human highlight reals
and celly.

I will lose my mind if we draft another soft Nylander type forward.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I want a complete skilled forward who has some sandpaper, unfortunately they don’t make many like that anymore. All these kids just wanna be human highlight reals
and celly.

I will lose my mind if we draft another soft Nylander type forward.
Hoglander. Decent chance he's still there with our second 1st too. Kid's a little SOB out there and he's got skill to boot.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Hoglander. Decent chance he's still there with our second 1st too. Kid's a little SOB out there and he's got skill to boot.

How many skilled guys who play with an edge don’t make it? Probably not that many.

I’m not saying I need a tough guy, i just want guys who hate to lose. I do think this organization has enough players who hate losing.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
How many skilled guys who play with an edge don’t make it? Probably not that many.

I’m not saying I need a tough some of a *****, but honestly even a guy like Hughes or Zegras just seem so soft. I’d love to get one, but I’d rather this team gets more straight line skill.
I'd say most of them make it in some capacity. I do think it's a huge need on this team. We have far too many forwards that refuse to forecheck or finish their checks with any authority/desire and the ones we do have that do it with any regularity are 4th liners (Girgensons and Larsson). Get your highly skilled guy with the top 10 pick, Krebs, Zegras, whomever. I personally like Krebs because of his 2 way game. After that target guys with grit and skill. Be it a guy like Hoglander or a guy like Ferland in FA. Guys like that create space and opportunities for skilled players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad