Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I’ve seen him live a couple times, I think if all goes well he’s a Logan Couture type of player, but realistically I think he’s more of a Tierney type of centre. A guy who can play at both ends and put up 40-50 points playing in that 2-3 hole.

I’ll take just about anyone out of London, the Hunters sure know how to develop kids, especially those with hockey sense.

From a speed and hockey sense, I agree. But McMichael has a better shot and is a far better scorer around the net than Couture or Tierney. That's why I went with the Pavelski comparable, just with better foot speed.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I want a 3 things with our 3 1st this year

Heart and soul winger, brings it every shift

Two-way Centre/Winger

Best D-man available ( Hopefully Broberg if he falls :naughty:)

I have a similar wishlist. It reads

Forward with goal scoring ability

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
I'd go BPA all the way. But if I were to pencil in some names:

Highest First: Moritz Seider, D, Alder Mannheim (DEL). If you draw up what Dahlin's perfect partner looked like, you'd get really close to Seider. Big, really mobile, can transition the puck. A more physical version of Tallinder.

Middle First: Connor McMichael, C, London (OHL). Faster Joe Pavelski. Lots of versatility. High end hockey sense and a laser beam for a shot. Good leadership skills.

Lowest First: John Beecher, C, USNTDP. A Nick Bonino style game. Plays like a freight train with the size to get to the net.

Reactions: Willgamesh

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
So ok... If we've got a crack at him with the SJ/STL pick, would anyone else be up for taking Spencer Knight?? I mean, Ullmark and UPL both have my utmost confidence that they'll develop into quality keepers. But Knight... Kid could be the Carey Price of the future.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
So ok... If we've got a crack at him with the SJ/STL pick, would anyone else be up for taking Spencer Knight?? I mean, Ullmark and UPL both have my utmost confidence that they'll develop into quality keepers. But Knight... Kid could be the Carey Price of the future.
No thanks. Knight is a really good prospect, but I'd rather draft a guy every year in the mid-rounds until you hit on a guy especially with UPL already being in the system. There'll be a very good forward or defenseman available at that pick (McMichael, Dorofyev, Kaliyev, Lavioe, Caufield, Soderstrom, Seider). I'd personally rather have a guy like that in the system.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I want F/D or D/F with the firsts. If the forward is a C who could slide to W that would be perfect.

Then with the later picks I'd like to see them load up on F depth in the same fashion as they addressed D last year.

Im always an advocate of using a mid rounder every year on a goalie too. Hopefully one year you get lucky.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
They gave up the pick for a young player that is under team control for a while. Picks are fun, but I can't hate that move.

I just hope that they make both picks unless there is a deal that they can't refuse offered to them, like say a good young RFA from a team with cap issues.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
They gave up the pick for a young player that is under team control for a while. Picks are fun, but I can't hate that move.

I just hope that they make both picks unless there is a deal that they can't refuse offered to them, like say a good young RFA from a team with cap issues.

Picks are nice, but unless you are talking high firsts in a good year they are overvalued. A 25th overall pick in a decent draft year shouldn’t hold near the value it seems to, almost the best scenario out of that spot is finding a depth player. Don’t even get me started on second rounders, boy did this organization ever overrate those at one point. Did we get a single player out of that bucket full of second rounders in that five year period?

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Picks are nice, but unless you are talking high firsts in a good year they are overvalued. A 25th overall pick in a decent draft year shouldn’t hold near the value it seems to, almost the best scenario out of that spot is finding a depth player. Don’t even get me started on second rounders, boy did this organization ever overrate those at one point. Did we get a single player out of that bucket full of second rounders in that five year period?

If you have a good scouting department, mid-1sts through 2nd rounders are valuable.

If Montour looks like Scandella or Beaulieu in 12 months, giving up a 1st for him will be regrettable.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Same I’m not upset either, this isn’t like trading the first was in2015.

Not unless 1st round picks within that range get drafted and perform well on their teams...Then people will look at the use of those picks and the first round differently.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
If you have a good scouting department, mid-1sts through 2nd rounders are valuable.

If Montour looks like Scandella or Beaulieu in 12 months, giving up a 1st for him will be regrettable.

I’m not sure that there is any tangible proof to determine who has good scouting va bad scouting.

It seems to me that’s all cyclical.

I mean, let’s say VO and Asplund turn out strong and have solid nhl careers. And Guhle becomes a solid bottom pair guy.

Did we have great scouting under Murray? Not by the drafting of Nylander...

Or does the crapshoot sometimes fail for extended periods of time and then you go on a run?

As far as I can tell, both some stats and experience, if it’s not a top 1-2 pick, or a super deep draft, think Barkov year, the vast majority of scouts are still hoping and praying for the whole draft.

Development on the other hand... that could be something.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
Sarich, Tallinder, Roy, Pominville, Webber, Enroth, McCabe and my two favorite 2nd rounders, Curtis Brown and Jason Dawe are just some of the recent notables. Half of all of the 2nd round picks the Sabres have made have played 82 games or more.

That's not too bad (imo) when it comes to 2nd rounders.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I’m not sure that there is any tangible proof to determine who has good scouting va bad scouting.

It seems to me that’s all cyclical.

I mean, let’s say VO and Asplund turn out strong and have solid nhl careers. And Guhle becomes a solid bottom pair guy.

Did we have great scouting under Murray? Not by the drafting of Nylander...

Or does the crapshoot sometimes fail for extended periods of time and then you go on a run?

As far as I can tell, both some stats and experience, if it’s not a top 1-2 pick, or a super deep draft, think Barkov year, the vast majority of scouts are still hoping and praying for the whole draft.

Development on the other hand... that could be something.

As you move down the draft, the odds become longer and longer that a pick turns into a solid player.

But, a late 1st is usually a 50/50 shot to be a decent NHLer. Only time will tell if this was a good deal.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
As you move down the draft, the odds become longer and longer that a pick turns into a solid player.

But, a late 1st is usually a 50/50 shot to be a decent NHLer. Only time will tell if this was a good deal.

Oh I know the odds. I just don’t think there is a well shown connection between what teams pick the good 50 vs the bad 50.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
So we're approaching the top 10. Maybe Turcotte is becoming a realistic possibility.
I think he goes a little earlier than a lot of people are projecting, fingers crossed he slips a bit or we work our way not only into the top 10, but closer to the top 5. Krebs is another guy I like a lot and hope we can get a shot at. Super high IQ, great motor, more of a pass first guy, but can still score, very high character guy. Reminds me a bit of Jonathan Toews.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad