Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
As far as the league has come with regard to wanting players who can skate, and becoming more about speed and offense, I think a guy like Caufield is bound to slip due to his size. He’ll be a good player. He’ll mostly play on the wing, but he might even be able to shift to center once in a while.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Seems odd. You'd take a Nylander over a Tkachuk?

Brady Tkachuk was one of my favourite players last year and Matthew was in 2016 as well. Those two are legit top end talents. I’m not sure what point you are trying to make because those guys have elite talent and would be top picks on skill and talent alone. Beecher can’t hold those guys jock straps. I’ll take a power forward in the first round if his skill level is worth a first round pick alone, but I’m not drafting a power forward with decent but not great talent early because that’s how you end up with Lawson Crouse instead of Mikko Rantanen or Matt Barzal.

Last edited:

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Brady Tkachuk was one of my favourite players last year and Mathew was in 2016. I’m not sure what point you are trying to make because those guys have elite talent and would be top picks on skill and talent alone. I’ll take a power forward in the first round if his skill level is worth a first round pick alone, but I’m not drafting a power forward with decent but not great talent early.

Seems like an odd take. I get the idea of taking a center or defense in the first round to strengthen the middle of the ice, and totally agree. But your point of view leads a team to pass of players like Getzlaf, Kesler, Boyle, Krieder, Nelson, or Janikowski. They were all size/skating/skill centers coming out. sure, you'll get your fair share of Gaunce's or Sheahan's, but there's no reason to pass on a type of player. Beecher, as a prospect, isn't much different than anyone I listed.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
So currently at the Xmas break we would have 2 1sts this year and 2 next.

Currently according to tankathon which updates every 10 minutes and is the best site for draft orders in all leagues we would be picking 21 and 26. Who woulda thunk one of our 1sts would be deferred and that our own 1st would be a worse pick then the Sharks.

I would be happy with getting a pick in the 18-24 range for the Sharks pick.

Botts should go after a RHD and a RHS C/W with the 2 1sts this year and then next years 1sts with no glaring needs in 2020 just go after the best possible forwards.

With the D in Buffalo in the system long term we have

Dahlin, Risto,McCabe, Pilut, Guhle and Samuelsson. Add a RHD with a 1st and that will make us set on the back end. Especially with wild cards like Laaksonen and Borgen also in the system. With our other 1st go after a Right handed center who can also be deployed as a wing.

Regardless it looks like we are going to be able contend for the next decade. As long as we have Jeff and Jack up front and the 2 Rasmi on the backend we are going to be a contender. The 4 1sts from 2019-2020 is where we either take the next step and tread water. If Botts can hit big on 3 of the 4 1sts we can be a cup contender throughout the entire 2020s. Hell, Dahlin may end up playing until 2040. God that is scary to think about.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I feel like our fifth best forward isn’t as good as our 8th best defenseman now...and that doesn’t even get into our further out prospects where I think we are way way better off on D.

I know everyone hates it somehow even after drafting so many D and then seeing those D develop into legit prospects...

But can a brother get some offensive talent that might one day stretch to...dare I say it...a second line?

Reactions: Mitts888

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Some players in draft range for the Sabres that I'd watch during the WJC if looking toward the next two drafts:

Canada:
- Brett Leason, F, Prince Albert. Overager who developed late. Crushing the WHL this season. Skilled power forward in the Coyle, Pacioretty mold. Worth the later of the two firsts.
- Alexis Lafreniere, F, Rimouski. The hope and dream of the STL pick in the 2020 draft.

Denmark:
- Mads Søgaard, G, Medicine Hat. Huge goalie with great movement skills for a player his size. Might be a first rounder.

Switzerland: worth watching for two forwards.
- Nando Eggenberger, F, Oshawa. Another overager. Bigger forward with a really good shot. Does everything well but hasn't put everything together yet. A project.
- Valentin Nussbaumer, C, Shawinigan. Thin center is a good play maker. Could be a pick in the third round if he slips.

Finland
- Lassi Thomson, D, Kelowna. Smaller, puck mover playing for the D factory. Available with a 1st.
- Anttoni Honka, D, JYP. Similar game to his older brother. Smaller, puck mover. Could slip to the third if teams are scared off of his brother's development.
- Ville Heinola, D, Lukko. Mobile puckmover. Late first rounder.
- Anton Lundell, F, HIFK. 2020 draft eligible. Skilled forward, youngest player on the Finn squad.

Slovakia
- Maxim Cajkovic, F, St. Johns. Very highly rated in the pre-season but has fallen. Lots of tools but hasn't put it together. Great shot.

Sweden
- Philip Broberg, D, AIK. Toolsy defender who made a name for himself rushing the puck in the WJSS. First rounder.
- Samuel Fagemo, F, Frolunda. Overager. Playmaker from the wing.

United States
- Spencer Knight, G, US U18. Combination of talent, technical excellence, calm, and battle. Best goalie prospect in a while. First rounder.

I wish Germany made the tournament. Would love to see Seider against top competition.

Reactions: zuikan

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I enjoyed reading all the knowledgable takes on the draft and our picks.. I'm hoping you will put me in my place with your expertise as Im annoyed by the picks for Skinner and keep all picks so I laid it out..don't play gotcha grammer assume i texted you.. it seems alright.. thanks.

Instead of going by rankings which only seems to work partially for top 15 looking over past 5 , 6 draft classes....who are the underated guys? Do you see contributors outside 15? The pastraminak..debrincat , the brayden points that have talent desire compete , late bloomers underestimated etc that excel at next level you have seen first hand.. ?
i know nothing of nhl draft class but only 5 players have contributed from last year '18 ( and we got the best in years) ..

NHL and WHA Draft History at Hockeydb.com

My question ... how deep is the draft ? number cant miss of first round ..?

My other question .. on average it seems to be age 20 to 23 that players significantly contribute if they do at all ( 50 persent coin flip 1st , 25% 2nd at best etc..) which is outside of window for jack and current team to not get frustrated or stagnate .. (without affecting mitts asplund nylander 7th victor goal and possibly cj smith)

So .. why not accept a trade ( without yelling Murray!) to help our team now using the lower of one or each picks in 20 and 19 to get a player of character compete and right age 23 to 26 that will fit in with our group using only b prospect , 1st round and a current extra d,with a cap dump (no i think Okposo should stay) .. to fit in and gel and compete with our current group , which is hungry and has a window (suddenly) without affecting the future cupboard?!?

i've read all sides and believe the right player that can elevate scrappy mitts, play with jack or a center to give our young guys a chance against other third lines is a essential if roch doesnt step up and isn't ready. Even if this is the deep 2015 draft we will still have a pick or give two 1 to get a a sure thing to play on this team..Now.

past history Robert trade. Hawruchuk , the mogilney adventure.. cant remember briere Drury etc.. im sure im missing tons and i know Murray gave away the picks that would be playing now. yes.. my punctuation blows.. and yes I love the cap better if Amerks step up but Jack Eichel is elite and amazingly is ready to drag this team now.. and seems to have learned how to motivatw and play well with others his own age ..or perspective..

Isn't it timw to responsibly help the room after giving Asplund Nylander and Goalafson their shot through 9 games in January.. Don't you trust Jason Botteril to find the right guy for the room thats respected but defers his ego etc?

Jack is amazing and will elevate all let toronto be stuck with okposo linemate , 14 mil ( to play hockey? I feel dirty now but anymway..) there must be someone like skinner little bastard bart simpson that has worn out his welcome etc.. that fits woth our group .. a B type quiet personality , wont challenge for power but wont back down when pushed team guy..blah blah

i hope our four or five rochester guys prove this is all a waste of time and typing .. i love the effort of our guys and dont want to mess with chemistry but.. have at me with your acumen please just no more trading our players for picks post just look at. the db stats ..

great Pilut signing by the way..

Captain Jack will get us high tonite , just a little push and we'll all be flying... on the ice that is.. maybe we pick another song where we all dont end up homeless.. anyway

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
Some players in draft range for the Sabres that I'd watch during the WJC if looking toward the next two drafts:

Canada:
- Brett Leason, F, Prince Albert. Overager who developed late. Crushing the WHL this season. Skilled power forward in the Coyle, Pacioretty mold. Worth the later of the two firsts.
- Alexis Lafreniere, F, Rimouski. The hope and dream of the STL pick in the 2020 draft.

Denmark:
- Mads Søgaard, G, Medicine Hat. Huge goalie with great movement skills for a player his size. Might be a first rounder.

Switzerland: worth watching for two forwards.
- Nando Eggenberger, F, Oshawa. Another overager. Bigger forward with a really good shot. Does everything well but hasn't put everything together yet. A project.
- Valentin Nussbaumer, C, Shawinigan. Thin center is a good play maker. Could be a pick in the third round if he slips.

Finland
- Lassi Thomson, D, Kelowna. Smaller, puck mover playing for the D factory. Available with a 1st.
- Anttoni Honka, D, JYP. Similar game to his older brother. Smaller, puck mover. Could slip to the third if teams are scared off of his brother's development.
- Ville Heinola, D, Lukko. Mobile puckmover. Late first rounder.
- Anton Lundell, F, HIFK. 2020 draft eligible. Skilled forward, youngest player on the Finn squad.

Slovakia
- Maxim Cajkovic, F, St. Johns. Very highly rated in the pre-season but has fallen. Lots of tools but hasn't put it together. Great shot.

Sweden
- Philip Broberg, D, AIK. Toolsy defender who made a name for himself rushing the puck in the WJSS. First rounder.
- Samuel Fagemo, F, Frolunda. Overager. Playmaker from the wing.

United States
- Spencer Knight, G, US U18. Combination of talent, technical excellence, calm, and battle. Best goalie prospect in a while. First rounder.

I wish Germany made the tournament. Would love to see Seider against top competition.
Will any of the guys you mentioned be ready next year possibly, the year after? I enjoy the wjc but know nothing of this year or next..

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
cool .. you have an opinion on the long winded post above as this seems like the choices into feb. depending on percentage of maybe. thanks

My replies to your questions....

Contributors outside the top 15: I think they al have a chance to contribute. Early contributors who can be had where the Sabres select could include Kaliyev (big body and NHL ready shot) and Kokkonen (physically developed at an earlier age). Leason is also another player to watch. He's a RW who plays more of a playmaker game as a power forward than a drive to the net type.

How deep is the draft? I don't think a lot of teams will trade their 1st rounders. The draft is deep. There are a few players I thought were pre-season first rounders who are now projecting into the second. Hoping the Blues pick it up, because this is the draft to have a pick in (Lafreniere lottery ticket notwithstanding).

How many players become contributors? Go to Hockey Reference and pick a draft year that's outside of 4 years from now. You'll see the number of players who contributed based on their stats.

Reactions: zuikan

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
My replies to your questions....

Contributors outside the top 15: I think they al have a chance to contribute. Early contributors who can be had where the Sabres select could include Kaliyev (big body and NHL ready shot) and Kokkonen (physically developed at an earlier age). Leason is also another player to watch. He's a RW who plays more of a playmaker game as a power forward than a drive to the net type.

How deep is the draft? I don't think a lot of teams will trade their 1st rounders. The draft is deep. There are a few players I thought were pre-season first rounders who are now projecting into the second. Hoping the Blues pick it up, because this is the draft to have a pick in (Lafreniere lottery ticket notwithstanding).

How many players become contributors? Go to Hockey Reference and pick a draft year that's outside of 4 years from now. You'll see the number of players who contributed based on their stats.
thanks .. well it looks like botts has his work cut out as we still need help now for eichel and we may have two or three ready to contribute in roc. ,

Looks like two to four years on average to contribute unless our gm hits like Pilut to energize next year. I take it you wouldnt trade a first in 20 , defense amd prospect for young player under contract to help keep this rolling?

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Thoughts on non-WJC players I like (and in the Sabres range)

- Moritz Seider. Big German RHD. Think Tallinder but meaner and hits.
- John Beecher. C/LW type. Hard on the puck. Strong on his skates but looks like a baby giraffe at times. Combo of physicality and skill. Going to Michigan.
- Blake Murray. C/LW but I think he's a wing in the NHL. Power player who likes contact. Skates well and has skill.
- Albin Grewe. Winger. Think Swedish version of Varada. Wrecking ball on the ice.
- Nathan Legare. True power forward who goes to the tough areas to score. Built like a brick poop house. Legit tough. Similar to Carl Grundstrom.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
If the Blue's pick is in the 11-15 range this year then there are a few interesting center prospects like Lavoie, Suzuki, Newhook, Krebs or Turcotte.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
If the Blues pick 11-15, I'd love a draft that looked like this:

Blues pick: Turcotte, Newhook.
SJ pick: Seider
Buffalo pick: Beecher, Legare, Grewe.

I'd then high five, leave the draft table in Vancouver, and tell the scouts to pick the rest.

Reactions: Genny Screamer

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If the Blues pick 11-15, I'd love a draft that looked like this:

Blues pick: Turcotte, Newhook.
SJ pick: Seider
Buffalo pick: Beecher, Legare, Grewe.

I'd then high five, leave the draft table in Vancouver, and tell the scouts to pick the rest.

I'm still impressed with Sogaard. Yes, yes... UPL. But hey... why not? :D

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY
You take Turcotte and run away laughing.

Turcotte reminds me of Mittelstadt. Of course, last year Mittelstadt was the World Juniors MVP. I can see similar career development paths. Turcotte may play one year at Wisconsin, dominate at the World Juniors and then get signed to his NHL club. He may struggle during his first full year in the NHL, but then establish himself as a good #2 center.

Our center depth will look solid with Eichel, Mittelstadt, Asplund, Davidsson, Pekar and Turcotte.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad