Prospect Info: The 2019 Draft Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Obviously Yakupov was on Sarnia, the only reason I included him as a Euro prospect was the issue with Larionov as his agent, the Russian interviews, etc. Even though he came from the OHL he didn't fit in to the team, that seemed clear from the beginning. Poor Nail.

Also mentioned him because he had trouble even with better English and playing in Ontario. Podkolzin won't even have those advantages.

I know BPA but our prospect cupboard isn't overflowing with top forwards so if we can't draft Dach/Turcotte/Byram there's several guys I'd take over the Russian.

Reactions: Aerrol

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
What's the verdict on Newhook? Seems like a quick super skilled guy, prototypical new-era NHL forward. Is the quality of competition the only reason he's not being ranked higher?

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
What's the verdict on Newhook? Seems like a quick super skilled guy, prototypical new-era NHL forward. Is the quality of competition the only reason he's not being ranked higher?

He's very underrated with the other offense in this draft only because he's in the BCHL. In the past scouts have overhyped some junior players in the BCHL like Jost or Turris for example although they're decent enough, no knock on them (I dont like to compare). Newhook is getting overlooked in this draft but at the same time there's more quality offense in this draft. He's a gamer, I'm high on him compared to many of these rankings.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Will he translate better than Puljujarvi? I know he's known for his shot.
For us he would. Speaks english, seems to be a smart player. Can get into open space well and knows how to play to his strengths (size/shot).

Although it isn't really a concern for us, I think he ends up as a rw at the NHL level. A sniper/power forward type rw.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Will he translate better than Puljujarvi? I know he's known for his shot.
I agree with the above response. In my opinion the main reason for Pulju not translating is his lack of finishing ability. His release is slow and he can't get the puck up in tight. Lavoie is good at that, so I think he'll do better.

And yes, I think he'll be a RW at the NHL level.

Reactions: 780il

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
For us he would. Speaks english, seems to be a smart player. Can get into open space well and knows how to play to his strengths (size/shot).

Although it isn't really a concern for us, I think he ends up as a rw at the NHL level. A sniper/power forward type rw.

I agree with the above response. In my opinion the main reason for Pulju not translating is his lack of finishing ability. His release is slow and he can't get the puck up in tight. Lavoie is good at that, so I think he'll do better.

And yes, I think he'll be a RW at the NHL level.

I like the other Quebec prospect Jakob Pelletier a little more. Although a lot smaller in size 38 goals in 62 games is half decent. Good wheels good vision.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I like the other Quebec prospect Jakob Pelletier a little more. Although a lot smaller in size 38 goals in 62 games is half decent.
I'm a big fan of Pelletier too, but I think Lavoie is a better fit. Pelletier plays a similar game to Yamamoto - small but gritty, doesn't just rely on skill - but Lavoie is something this organization lacks. We don't have any powerforwards in the pipeline and Lavoie has a great one-timer and gives us a right-shot we need.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I'm a big fan of Pelletier too, but I think Lavoie is a better fit. Pelletier plays a similar game to Yamamoto - small but gritty, doesn't just rely on skill - but Lavoie is something this organization lacks. We don't have any powerforwards in the pipeline and Lavoie has a great one-timer and gives us a right-shot we need.

We also don't know if Nuge will sign an extension with us (nor if we'd want to pay the price) when his contract expires.

Nuge has two years left on his deal. Hypothetically, there is a good chance Lavoie can step in on his draft +3 season (1 year back in juniors, 1 year in the AHL).

The Mooseheads produce good NHL players, I'd be pretty happy with drafting Lavoie and what it means for our center depth in the future.

Having a RHC in the top 6 also gives the coach a lot more flexibility on how he uses his lines.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
We also don't know if Nuge will sign an extension with us (nor if we'd want to pay the price) when his contract expires.

Nuge has two years left on his deal. Hypothetically, there is a good chance Lavoie can step in on his draft +3 season (1 year back in juniors, 1 year in the AHL).

The Mooseheads produce good NHL players, I'd be pretty happy with drafting Lavoie and what it means for our center depth in the future.

Having a RHC in the top 6 also gives the coach a lot more flexibility on how he uses his lines.

Can Lavoie play center?

I'm pretty sure he's one of those guys who is listed as a center, but has basically only ever played wing in junior.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Can Lavoie play center?

I'm pretty sure he's one of those guys who is listed as a center, but has basically only ever played wing in junior.
He does it occasionally but is better on the wing. His play style is much better suited to the wing, he plays mostly on the rw, and he'll be a winger at the NHL level.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
More Heinola:

This kid is so good.

Did a quick little elementary comparison between him and some D drafted in the 1st round out of Liiga. Hardly any names fit, but here goes...
Heinola - 33GP Liiga, 2G 12A 14TP | +8

Heiskanen - 37GP Liiga, 5G 5A 10TP | -1
Heiskanen absolutely dominated in Finland U18, but if we're just looking at stats Heinola had a better showing at WJC-20.

Ristolainen - 52GP Liiga, 3G 12A 15TP | -7
Looks like Risto had the best showing at WJC-20 of the bunch.

I can't say I know much about Heinola but he looks like an underrated pick. His name hasn't been brought up as much as Cam York and Broberg as far as other LD prospects go. If I'm a team looking to draft a D and Byram is off the table it seems like a tough decision. Seider could also be another underrated pick.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
I want Edmonton to take Lavoie as well. He would fit right into the team like a glove. Swagger of Draisaitl along with his shot and more speed at a younger age. Also, he is right handed. Would look good with McDavid, Leon, Nuge, Benson. Heck, any of our playmakers

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I want Edmonton to take Lavoie as well. He would fit right into the team like a glove. Swagger of Draisaitl along with his shot and more speed at a younger age. Also, he is right handed. Would look good with McDavid, Leon, Nuge, Benson. Heck, any of our playmakers
We could build around this:

Benson - Mcdavid - Lavoie
Nuge - Drai - X
X - Marody - X

Sign someone out of UFA that can give us 20 goals + 20 assists for cheap like a Connolly for the 2rw and sign some 3rd line wingers.

Reactions: Dr Awesome

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Following the Future Considerations draft list, if we get the ~8th pick, I would consider trading down for two 1sts.

They had Lavoie at 19 and Dorofeyev at 30. If we could nab both of them, I would go dance in the streets.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Following the Future Considerations draft list, if we get the ~8th pick, I would consider trading down for two 1sts.

They had Lavoie at 19 and Dorofeyev at 30. If we could nab both of them, I would go dance in the streets.
Both of those guys should go higher than that. Dorofeyev has much better numbers than Podkolzin this year.

I'm not a fan of the Future Considerations draft list.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I am wary right now given the Oilers' track record with Euro prospects in the last decade. I think Klefbom is the only Euro draft pick that really met expectations.
Just to inject on this - Erik Gustafsson also met expectations. He was a 2012 4th round pick by Oilers and as a defenseman has 49 points in 66 games. Of course, Oilers did not sign him and he became a UFA, but he was a good pick.

Reactions: Aerrol

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Just to inject on this - Erik Gustafsson also met expectations. He was a 2012 4th round pick by Oilers and as a defenseman has 49 points in 66 games. Of course, Oilers did not sign him and he became a UFA, but he was a good pick.
Another one of Chia's blunder. Not signing Tkachev was another

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad