Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Borderline ridiculous how talented these kids are at the top of this years draft.

It's the year round skills development programs these kids are in from the moment they lace on skates and show some talent. There will be weaker drafts relative to others but the talent is just going to keep getting better. It is going to be tougher and tougher to stay in the league a long time with the way the game is played and the salary cap favoring young players.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Draft is deep. The comment about not trading a 1st is right. After Hughes, the tier still have to shake out, but in the lottery area, you've got:

Lottery Tier
Centers
: Dach, Turcotte, Newhook
Wingers: Podkolzin, Cozens, Kakko, Caufield, Krebs, Cajkovic
Defense: Byram, Broberg, Robertson

In the playoff position draft picks, you've got:
Playoff Tier
Centers
: Murray, Zegras, Suzuki
Wingers: Caufield, Kaliyev, Lavoie, Poulin, Boldy, Gutik, Nussbaumer
Defense: Honka, Soderstrom, Vlasic, Vukojevic, York, Brinkman
Goal: Knight

Sabres are going to get one from the first group and two from the second group. That's a deep group, and I'm sure I missed some players. No trading, Botts!

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Draft is deep. The comment about not trading a 1st is right. After Hughes, the tier still have to shake out, but in the lottery area, you've got:

Lottery Tier
Centers

Playoff Tier
Centers

Sabres are going to get one from the first group and two from the second group. That's a deep group, and I'm sure I missed some players. No trading, Botts!

Best case scenario for helping the long term competitiveness and pipeline quality of this team, Skinner absolutely goes on a scoring tear with Eichel, but the team falls on its face and is in top 5 drafting range. We trade Skinner for another 1st for this year for a team looking for scoring.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

Lottery Tier
Centers

Playoff Tier
Centers

This is 2015 all over again...

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Any good RHD in this draft? Our LHD depth is pretty good right now - who would’ve thought?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Unless we’re looking at a Charie McAvoy or Jakub Chychrun caliber prospect I’m wanting three forwards in the first round.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
True. Kid is looking like a game-changer for someone.

Hughes is super talented and smooth, but Lafreniere looks like a future captain who brings that intensity every night. He’s got that Crosby type mentality where I don’t think Hughes quite has that. But, Lafreniere isn’t as talented or the playmaker Hughes is. It’ll be interested to see how they are both viewed moving forward.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Hughes is super talented and smooth, but Lafreniere looks like a future captain who brings that intensity every night. He’s got that Crosby type mentality where I don’t think Hughes quite has that. But, Lafreniere isn’t as talented or the playmaker Hughes is. It’ll be interested to see how they are both viewed moving forward.

Jack Hughes is intense. He almost never sits between shifts - just sits on the edge of the boards, chewing his mouth guard waiting to get back out here again.

I took this last spring when he was playing with the U18 NTDP team in Plymouth. This wasn't the exception.

full

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Any good RHD in this draft? Our LHD depth is pretty good right now - who would’ve thought?

Anttoni Honka ( Julius's little brother) is one.
As a player Anttoni is very similar to his brother Julius.
He moves puck well and he has very good hockey IQ also he's very calm.

Here's some videos of Anttoni Honka

Last edited:
Reactions: HaNotsri

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Other RHD prospect to keep eye on this season is Lassi Thomson.
Thomson is 2000 born RD who played last season in Tampere Ilves U20 team.

Thomson is projected to go rounds 2-3 but if he has good season he can rise late 1st round.
Kelowna Rockets selected Thomson 1st round this past June's CHL import draft.

Thomson is reporting to Kelowna after his play to team Finland's U20 team in 4 nations tournament in Sweden.
As a player Lassi Thomson is active and mobile defenceman who shows good agility and top speed.

Overall Thomson seems to have a lot of good tools he carries the puck with a lot of confidence.
And that aspect combined with above average skating and good passing abilities creates a lot of offense for his team.

And even though he needs to adjust his play when he enters pro game, he could become pretty good defenceman in the future if he learns to use his strengths properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad