Speculation: The 2019 Draft Thread - Sabres pick 7th

Status
Not open for further replies.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Any good RHD in this draft? Our LHD depth is pretty good right now - who would’ve thought?

Eh, Scandella is nearing 30 and is not signed long term. I'd gladly extend him for 4-5 years at 4.5 per but I'm not giving him 5+ mil long term. And for a dman it could be 3 or 4 years before hes a regular. While I'd love to draft a top 4 rhd with one of the firsts I just want the best dman period.

Guhle, Dahlin, Risto and Samuelsson should be 4/6s of our blue line by 2020. Hopefully Scandella or a similar vet is kept and that the final blue line spot is filled by one of our first rounders from 2019 on an elc.

Over the next 2 drafts while I am always going BPA I hope the 4 1sts we have are used on a scoring winger, 2 D men and a two way power forward type would be my ideal prospects over the next drafts. We are set with high end elite centers. We have our franchise dman. Hopefully we use our firsts on some of the few things this team lacks...preferably at least 2 out of the 4 first rounders the next two years are some players with snarl and toughness....one at D and one of them a power forward type.

Botts seems the type to go BPA no matter what. If we do pick thrice in the first in 2019 I would not be shocked if we ended up with 3 dmen, or 3 forwards. And if this draft is as deep as they are predicting we could literally add 3 studs. If this is similar to 2015 then we could literally be adding multiple impact prospects.

Its amazing that I am rooting for a playoff appearance instead of a lotto win and yet we can still also be eager for the draft because we have 4 firsts in 2 years.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Best case scenario for helping the long term competitiveness and pipeline quality of this team, Skinner absolutely goes on a scoring tear with Eichel, but the team falls on its face and is in top 5 drafting range. We trade Skinner for another 1st for this year for a team looking for scoring.
The odds of a team trading a 2019 first for a rental are far lower than that of a UFO landing on the roof of Key Bank Arena the night of our home opener. You would be looking at a first in 2020 in the absolute best case scenario.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The odds of a team trading a 2019 first for a rental are far lower than that of a UFO landing on the roof of Key Bank Arena the night of our home opener. You would be looking at a first in 2020 in the absolute best case scenario.

There will be 2019 1sts traded at the deadline for rentals.

GMs that are in Win Now mode will move their first.

Reactions: Graves

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Honestly I would rather drink a can of Ebola than watch and celebrate this team failing for a draft pick yet another goddamned time.

What's more disheartening to you, failing due to design, or failing due to incompetence?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Is there any goalies who could possibly be a late first for us? With having the 4 most important positions secured for a decade (1C,2C,1D,2D) it allows us to use a first on a goalie or power forward etc.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is there any goalies who could possibly be a late first for us? With having the 4 most important positions secured for a decade (1C,2C,1D,2D) it allows us to use a first on a goalie or power forward etc.

For Spencer Knight, Love of Goaltending Started With Equipment

https://thehockeywriters.com/team-usa-hockey-spencer-knight-wjc/

U.S. National Under-17 Team - 2017-18 Regular Season - Roster - #35 - Spencer Knight - G

Spencer Knight appears to be the front runner to be the first goalie off the board this year.

I won't be shocked to read a lot of Thatcher Demko and Jake Oettinger comparisons as we progress through the season.

He has been committed to BC for a while and is expected to play there starting in 2019-20 unless he and the team that drafts him thinks that going the CHL route is better for his development.

Reactions: La Cosa Nostra

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Baker is very high on Knight. If we keep all three firsts (and they end up all in this draft) I could definitely see us taking him. Baker thinks he’s legit and will be considered a first round talent when the draft rolls around.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting to zero in on Kakko live today. The skill package is evident, though nothing is working for TPS so far today.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Baker is very high on Knight. If we keep all three firsts (and they end up all in this draft) I could definitely see us taking him. Baker thinks he’s legit and will be considered a first round talent when the draft rolls around.

I'll be watching a lot of Knight when I'm not watching Jack Hughes or Cole Caufield when I go to the U18 NTDP games this year.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I don't think there's any debate, if there's a 1st-round talent goalie this year, take him. That part of our pool is cratered.

There definitely is a debate let’s be real. Taking a goalie in the first round isn’t worth it a lot of the time especially if there are still talented players on the board. Add in the fact a goalie takes 5 years to make it and you are better off looking elsewhere

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
There definitely is a debate let’s be real. Taking a goalie in the first round isn’t worth it a lot of the time especially if there are still talented players on the board. Add in the fact a goalie takes 5 years to make it and you are better off looking elsewhere

Just look at the 2017 Draft.

Dallas passed on Tolvanen and others to take Oettinger.

Only time will tell if that was a good call.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Just look at the 2017 Draft.

Dallas passed on Tolvanen and others to take Oettinger.

Only time will tell if that was a good call.

I don’t even think you need time to tell. That’s a bad move. Andrei Vasilevsky is the only goalie in the last 10 years who was a legit top talent in his draft class. The only way I am taking a goalie in the first round is if he is a top end talent, not just the best of that year.

It’s just such a bad move for a GM to gamble on a goalie in the first round, best case scenario is you hit on that goalie and he is a starter 4-5 seasons later. If you hit on a forward in today’s NHL he’s contributing in his D+2 season. Draft a goalie in the 3-5th rounds every year and eventually you are going to hit on one. We’ve hit twice in the past few years on Ullmark and Pettersson and neither were top picks.

Reactions: sabrebuild

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
You really cannot say we hit on Petersen when he didnt even sign with us and still isnt a NHL goalie. Samsonov would have been a good pick in 2015 if we stayed put at 21.

This team still needs a true franchise goalie. Ullmark while I'm high on isnt a sure thing. If we have 2 extra 1sts in the 20s I'd gladly take a goalie there if he is a legit talent.

se20001984

Sep 12, 2018
getting ahead of myself - but I see the biggest potential with the upcoming draft.

We have potentially 3 picks in the first round

I'm going to guess a top 5-10, and 2 12-18 picks

Will sj or stl push the picks given the strong draft class? Any chance we can package for a 1?

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
No

Teams simply don’t trade or swap top draft picks.

The picks can’t be pushed unless they end up in the lottery.

Sabres will likely end with 3 first between 12-27 this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad