The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Goaltending isn't a huge issue. You can get decent goaltending and do fine. See 2016...don't need to be elite just average/above which I ghink Lu and Reimer can be.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
So, you turn them making a simple statement that they are "a little tired" into "they are complaining". That's a bit of a stretch.
Why even mention it if they are just a little tired? Everyone is a little tired this time of the year and it was just a subtle jab. You think our captain is going to point the finger at Mr. Boo and say it's his fault? DeFranks is the only beat reporter for a major newspaper left and at least he had the guts to write about it along with the wild swings in goaltending by both guys since they've returned from injury.

As I've pointed out before, Boo has done his job by tirelessly driving these guys to give some hope down the stretch and put butts in the seats. Anyone here think that Barky and Tro will be under 19 minutes per game next season (where they should be)? These two are not Kopitar and Crosby who are superstars with incredible talent and a cardio system that is world class. They need a reasonable work rate that allows them time to recover. ;)

How Panthers' hard-charging playoff push hit a wall

Last edited:

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Luongo had over 2 months to rest mid-season and he still looked gassed a month after he'd been the starter (the game against NYR was the first time it was brought up and after that game it became more & more clear), I don't even want to think what a full season as a starter would do to his body. At that age he just can't handle it anymore, he's been hurt in one way or the other every year after he came back (excluding the short stint post trade deadline in 2014).

2 months to rest? Rehabbing/strengthening your groin isn't rest.

He played 9 straight after Reimer took a glorious shit in his hometown, and at Roberto's age, that's Booger's fault. Is Luongo a 60-game starter? Probably not, but 50 is reasonable and represents just 61% of a season, which is less than 2 of every 3 starts, which I doubt many would be opposed to.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Why even mention it if they are just a little tired? Everyone is a little tired this time of the year and it was just a subtle jab. You think our captain is going to point the finger at Mr. Boo and say it's his fault? DeFranks is the only beat reporter for a major newspaper left and at least he had the guts to write about it along with the wild swings in goaltending by both guys since they've returned from injury.

As I've pointed out before, Boo has done his job by tirelessly driving these guys to give some hope down the stretch and put butts in the seats. Anyone here think that Barky and Tro will be under 18 minutes per game next season (where they should be) at this time next year? These two are not Kopitar and Crosby who are superstars with incredible talent and a cardio system that is world class. They need a reasonable work rate that allows them time to recover. ;)

How Panthers' hard-charging playoff push hit a wall
Certainly I'd like to see their workload lessened, the best way would be to find others who can handle the PK instead.
My only point was that saying "I'm tired" doesn't necessarily equate to complaining. Complaining suggests unhappiness with things, idk if that's the case.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
As I've pointed out before, Boo has done his job by tirelessly driving these guys to give some hope down the stretch and put butts in the seats.

What do you attribute to e.g. the Caps' ability to find themselves at the top of the league almost every year? Old man strength?

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I'd like Kovy as much as anyone, heck he was probably my favorite player in the NHL when he played. He also has Dadonov as a former player and possible friend that can help the cause and from what I have read and have seen on instagram pics of him and his wife they either have property or like to spend time in South Florida. With that said.......why oh why would Kovalchuk want to join the Florida Panthers? Why would he come back to the NHL at 34 to play for us? I'm sure other teams will be calling , other teams with much bigger prestige and playoff chances and contenders.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
One of the biggest offseason moves I think should be taking the captaincy away from Dmac. This needs to get resolved ASAP because he really needed to have been replaced here long ago and next year we can’t have ol’ stone hands centering the 4th line and that will never happen as long as he has a C on his chest. My vote goes to Tro for that with barkov, yandle as alternates.

It would be great if we can add a scoring winger in FA for our 2nd line and I am hopeful we can do that but that’s up to the owners. It would do Huby well to go back to the 1st line where really he belongs and I think now is the time to sell high on Bjugstad and sucker a team to give us back a player that compliments better our 2nd or 3rd lines better. I would move him now that his production this year finally matched his salary and he showed he can play on 1st line to interested teams.

Pysyk has to go. Upgrade him.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I think now is the time to sell high on Bjugstad and sucker a team to give us back a player that compliments better our 2nd or 3rd lines better. I would move him now that his production this year finally matched his salary and he showed he can play on 1st line to interested teams.
Music to my ears but you think most GM's don't have clue as to why Nick is scoring? $4.3M next year followed by 2 years at $5M +. I thought the same thing as you but I'll believe it when I see it. :)

Reactions: jrockett1096

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Reimer has two years left on contract? I'd like to see them try to get Grubauer from the Caps. Wonder what it would cost to get him. Probably will stand pat with Lu and Reimer for one more season, depending on Lu's health.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
What was Joyce looking at when he thought Pysyk didn't suck. Shoot him into the sun please Tallon
I think Tallon likes him too. I remember a positive quote about him from DT from like December.

It's a clear weakness though, he's been Gudbranson level all year (defensive dman who isn't good defensively).

letsgrowcactus

Jan 21, 2017
To be fair he was our best defensive dman last year. They had a reason to sing his praises
This. I'm really not sure what went wrong with Pysyk this year. Maybe he just needs to be pushed back down to the third pair and he'll be fine?
Anyway agreed that we need that defensive 4D, the question is where to get one.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
To be fair he was our best defensive dman last year. They had a reason to sing his praises
He succeeded in 3rd pair minutes with easy matchups last year. I 100% get putting him in a top 4 role based off his play last year. It didn't work out. It happens. What I won't get is if they bring him back in the same role. He's not a 2nd pair guy, he's a 6.

Not upgrading would be the equivalent of re-signing Vrbata to fill in the top 6.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
This. I'm really not sure what went wrong with Pysyk this year. Maybe he just needs to be pushed back down to the third pair and he'll be fine?
Correct. Put him where he belongs and he’ll be so much better.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
As long as Tallon and Mr. Boo are here you are going to have guys at 4D that are puck movers first in lieu of pure defense. The 1st pairing is the perfect example........2 guys who think offense first out of their own zone and puck possession at the other end (which means joining the breakout and pinching).

If that's the case then give Weegar a shot. He's the only guy that seems to have any energy back there the last few games with solid hits and some defensive acumen to go along with the ability to carry the puck. Downside is he tries to get too cute at times and has been lucky it hasn't gone the other way as happened many times with Yandle last season. :)

Last edited:

SimbaThePanther

Jul 3, 2015
Sweden

I think that is exactly it. Last season he was playing mostly 3rd pairing and did fine. This season he has been on that 2nd with Matheson for the most part and it clearly is one step too high for him. I still don't understand why Boughner decided to push Weegar back to 3rd after he was, too me, playing quite well with Matheson for a stretch of games. If they don't upgrade on that 2nd pair spot, they need to play Weegar/Matheson. BUT...I really would love to see a major upgrade happen and push one of Petrovic/Pysyk out, can't have them both cause I want Weegar to stay on there. If I had to choose I would stick with Petrovic (depending on money), cause he brings a little more toughness to the backline (which we do lack a lot of).

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
I assume Luongo would want to play another year. Expect to see a 60/40 split between him and Reimer, health withstanding.
I don't see anything drastic happening with the forwards. I could definitely see Tallon stay on the youth movement and maybe just bring in another vet defensive minded center/forward for the bottom 6.
Blueline, I could see us being a tad more active. Maybe Pysyk gets moved if we can acquire a vet defenseman. Then just have a battle once again between McCoshen and Weegar. Depending on course how we handle Petrovic.

I feel Kovy is a pipedream. Does he even have the speed anymore for BB system? Been a long time since I've seen him play(skipped the Olympics).

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I was watching the Bruins game last night and thought could you see Tallon go after Nash(Rick) if he walks in the summer on a 2-3 year deal?
He's a 6'4 2way W who causes trouble around the net.

His offense isn't what it was but he can play a 2way game and would help to shelter Tippett.

Goaltending isn't a huge issue. You can get decent goaltending and do fine. See 2016...don't need to be elite just average/above which I ghink Lu and Reimer can be.

That should mean the rest of the roster is elite then.
Weak goaltending is tough way to lose a season, like Dallas has in the past of Carolina now. Atlantic is nowhere near 2016 level anymore, it was rebuilding then, now it has few of the best teams in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad