The 2018 Panthers off-season thread-Petrovic is back

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I have only one major request, sign or trade for a top4 d-man. If that happens, also trade one of Pysyk/Petro (can't see them keeping a 2M+ healthy scratch for a second straight year).

A better 4C would be nice, but I'm not counting on it. The market isn't that great either.

Outside of that, we have a lot of young forwards close to being ready for bigger roles, this is not the time to commit big money to a 6-8 year UFA deal.

Where does he fit though?

Huberdeau
Dadonov
Bjugstad
Malgin
Vatrano
McGinn
Mamin
(Haley & Sceviour are a given on the 4th line, so no point in counting those in)

That's 6 winger spots for 8 guys (9 if Tippett looks good at camp). I think McGinn & Mamin are a lock because we lack physicality as it is, though McGinn might push Mamin to a call-up role, which isn't a bad thing for his development. I also don't see McCann replacing MacKenzie, because he just isn't good enough defensively (not that Mac is awesome, but he's at least average and can PK, looked better as the season went on). Then we get to our young scoring wingers. Is McCann better than Malgin or Vatrano? Nope. Bjugstad? Unless some team offers a can't say no -offer for him, I think he stays. Huberdeau & Dadonov obviously aren't going anywhere. So we're left with something around:

Dadonov-Barkov-Bjugstad
Huberdeau-Trocheck-Malgin
McGinn (/Mamin when McGinn is hurt)-Borgstrom-Vatrano
Haley/UFA LW-MacKenzie/UFA C-Sceviour

So McCann might be Haley's replacement whenever he sits.. which isn't all that great.

Haley should not be playing more than a handful games next year. If that happens, it's another big strike by Boughner. Ideally they get an upgrade on MacK too but hard to see that happening unless they give the C to someone else. McCann has still room to grow, hopefully he does that and becomes a solid third liner. It would be foolish to give up on a 21 year old.

McGinn IMO is out after a year anyway, he could be packaged with someone (Bjugs/Pysyk) along with picks to get that veteran top 4 D. I like McGinn, he brings it every night and plays "the right way" but at the end, he's completely replaceable.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Haley should not be playing more than a handful games next year. If that happens, it's another big strike by Boughner. Ideally they get an upgrade on MacK too but hard to see that happening unless they give the C to someone else. McCann has still room to grow, hopefully he does that and becomes a solid third liner. It would be foolish to give up on a 21 year old.

McGinn IMO is out after a year anyway, he could be packaged with someone (Bjugs/Pysyk) along with picks to get that veteran top 4 D. I like McGinn, he brings it every night and plays "the right way" but at the end, he's completely replaceable.
I just look at it this way. With the competition we have going on for only a couple spots (+ it's only going to worse when guys like Tippett/Hepo start pushing for a spot), which is more likely to happen; McCann takes a step forward with the limited minutes available, or he remains standing still like he has for the past two seasons? He's already had almost a full season as a 3C and hasn't done much to impress outside of small stretch in February.

Basically we can try to recoup some value while McCann still belongs in the "well he has potential" -category of prospects and some team buys in to that potential, or we can keep him and risk losing him on waivers if things don't work out. I see a big hill to climb and little to no progress to show he'd be able to reach it.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
Not enough posts about goaltending here.

Both Reims and Luongo are too inconsistent at this point to be a 1A.

We need to figure out our goalie of the future very soon.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Not enough posts about goaltending here.

Both Reims and Luongo are too inconsistent at this point to be a 1A.

We need to figure out our goalie of the future very soon.
2018 UFA class isn't the time to fix it, 2019 will be much better.

The team could see if there's a market for Reimer, but that's about it.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
I just look at it this way. With the competition we have going on for only a couple spots (+ it's only going to worse when guys like Tippett/Hepo start pushing for a spot), which is more likely to happen; McCann takes a step forward with the limited minutes available, or he remains standing still like he has for the past two seasons? He's already had almost a full season as a 3C and hasn't done much to impress outside of small stretch in February.

Basically we can try to recoup some value while McCann still belongs in the "well he has potential" -category of prospects and some team buys in to that potential, or we can keep him and risk losing him on waivers if things don't work out. I see a big hill to climb and little to no progress to show he'd be able to reach it.

I don't mind trading him at all. If there's a team that wants him sure, move him. He's also completely replaceable.

I just don't think he should be sitting if he stays. Not at least if Haley etc. are getting ice time. At 21 he at least has some upside left.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Also Lou complaining if he's not getting enough playing time that he doesn't feel so good, well, you're not in your 20s anymore and haven't shown in years you can handle that kind of workload.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Why are people surprised that Trocheck, Barkov, and Huberdeau tailed off at the end of the year? The coach ran them into the ground with ice time in because the third line was bad and the 4th line is absolutely awful. Our top two centers have to play huge PK time because the rest of the team is terrible at it. The same thing happened last year when Rowe ran Tro into the ground with all the ice time he was playing him. Dadonov didn’t get so run down because its not really tiring to sit around the blueline waiting for outlet passes so he can get breakaways. Trocheck gets grief for shooting too much, his over aggressiveness and being selfish then Barkov gets it for passing too much, not showing emotion and being to unselfish. Make up your mind.

Well I see Barkov is centering Haley and MacKenzie in practice. I guess he's our new 4th line C for the remainder of the year since he's hit the wall. In reality the practice was likely very light and just to try and loosen up some tight muscles.

MacKenzie: "Some of our top guys said they were a little tired. With everything they've done and the minutes they've played, it's possible, but on days like today, we gotta find ways to do it." Soooo, Tro and Barkov are complaining about their ice time to teammates. Is Mr. Boo or our Captain listening? Sure but neither is going to apologize as both believe you have be more mentally tough at this time of the year. Are they right? Of course not.

Mr. Boos job is to get the best record possible to get to the playoffs and mental/physical exhaustion is not in his vocabulary. When you have your top two guys complaining to teammates about their TOI this time of year then as a coach you either listen and play them less or your risk the chance of injury or complete metabolic fatigue in every game they suit up. The medical staff should be monitoring these two with blood workups and aerobic/anaerobic testing so as not to cause a complete collapse during a game. Just plain dumb on the teams part. :(

Muscle metabolism during fatigue and work. - PubMed - NCBI

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
Trade Reimer

'18-'19: Luongo/Sateri (with Monty sprinkled in)

'19-'20: ?/Luongo

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Is this the thread/time of year where we all admit Brokin was right all along?
If Brokin had been saying that since game 68 or so, maybe I'd tip my hat to him, but he's been saying that since game 18 on.

Everyone could agree that it would have been better if coach didn't have to play the top two lines and especially their centers as much as he has, BUT that was done because that was the only path to playoffs. With the hope that the rest would pick it up as well.

I don't think there's any long lasting negative fatigue effect on Tro and Barky. I think this really toughened them up. They'll be Crosby and Malkin next year.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Trade Reimer

'18-'19: Luongo/Sateri (with Monty sprinkled in)

'19-'20: ?/Luongo

You're nuts if you think Luongo can be a starter again next season and stay healthy and then play another season as backup. As it stands right now he can't play more than 30-40 games *maybe*, so there's no way we can go into next season with him as the bonafide starter.

You seem to have some love affair for the guy, but let's be realistic/honest here.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Mostl likely that person was me. I'm the ine of few people on here that speaks the truth. I'm tired of mediocrity and I'm sick of being lied to by ownership. They don't know how to build a team, it's sad because this group is really close to being special but the only way they make it over the hump is to bring in top talent to take the pressure off our young core.

Do you guys think the Penguins needed Kessle? Yup. That took them to another level and bam back to back championships. You have to spend money to win in this league. Or have luck in the draft. We have neither.
Oh please. Get over yourself.
I'm pretty sure anyone that follows this team is pretty sick of the sucking. Your "truth" is just another opinion.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Or have luck in the draft.

You say this as though the only way to get good players in the draft is luck, which is completely untrue. Many, many teams have shown that with good scouting, it is very possible to actually identify talent. Detroit, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Washington, Boston, Tampa, list goes on.

Luce and Co. out, some new scouts + Canucks Army guys in has made some much better quality picks for us over the last 2 years. Look how upset people are that Mascherin isn't signing...no one shed a tear when 2011 2nd round pick Rasmus Bengtsson didn't pan out, they just accepted it as "that's how it goes with us."

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Maybe we can draft decently but then it's our development process that's sub-par.

Where's our DeBrusk and Donato? Etc? We may draft them but they end up McCann'ed.

I'm hopeful that another year of Boughner working tirelessly towards a system that brings results is what'll make the difference.

Watching the Bruins I was really struck by how almost everyone is on the same page. The forwards know the routes they need to skate and the D know what their options are when passing the puck, before they actually make the pass. When everyone knows the system well, the half second or second of time is saved and an opportunity is created.

The D also know when to pinch. Also, unlike Petro, they don't get cute with the puck two feet behind their own goal.

Ways to go still.

Ratsreign

Mar 12, 2018
Well I see Barkov is centering Haley and MacKenzie in practice. I guess he's our new 4th line C for the remainder of the year since he's hit the wall. In reality the practice was likely very light and just to try and loosen up some tight muscles.

MacKenzie: "Some of our top guys said they were a little tired. With everything they've done and the minutes they've played, it's possible, but on days like today, we gotta find ways to do it." Soooo, Tro and Barkov are complaining about their ice time to teammates. Is Mr. Boo or our Captain listening? Sure but neither is going to apologize as both believe you have be more mentally tough at this time of the year. Are they right? Of course not.

Mr. Boos job is to get the best record possible to get to the playoffs and mental/physical exhaustion is not in his vocabulary. When you have your top two guys complaining to teammates about their TOI this time of year then as a coach you either listen and play them less or your risk the chance of injury or complete metabolic fatigue in every game they suit up. The medical staff should be monitoring these two with blood workups and aerobic/anaerobic testing so as not to cause a complete collapse during a game. Just plain dumb on the teams part. :(

Muscle metabolism during fatigue and work. - PubMed - NCBI
So, you turn them making a simple statement that they are "a little tired" into "they are complaining". That's a bit of a stretch.

Asheville

Feb 1, 2018
You're nuts if you think Luongo can be a starter again next season and stay healthy and then play another season as backup. As it stands right now he can't play more than 30-40 games *maybe*, so there's no way we can go into next season with him as the bonafide starter.

You seem to have some love affair for the guy, but let's be realistic/honest here.

Luongo would have played 50 games if he didn't stupidly stick his arm out to stop Conor Sheary. Considering his age, he bounced back incredibly fast from his groin pull, and his 15 games since are a testament to his athleticism and conditioning commitment.

I don't underestimate the value of a goalie who can be counted on for a 0.920 sv% year in and out. And with age, Luongo has intelligently adopted the Giguere approach to netminding: cut out extraneous stretching/lunging in favor of economical movements/playing-the-percentages/emphasis on positioning.

Conversely, I don't consider Reimer to even be a 1B. He's a back-up on the downside of his career who has never been able to steal the net from an assortment of tandem partners, despite numerous opportunities and longterm commitments in Toronto and now Florida.

With the exception of a 5-game stretch in late December, Reimer f***ed the Panthers' playoff chances after Luongo went down for an extended stretch on December 4, giving up 3+ goals in 11 of 18 starts until Sateri softened the blow. Interestingly, Reimer further f***ed the Panthers by being 0-3 in shootouts, whereas Luongo was 3-0.

Reimer's annual salary and contract length are jokes and that money could be better used. In fact, his pay forces Booger to give Reimer starts instead of throwing a prospect like Monty an occasional start.

Sateri is younger than Reimer, his style doesn't inspire panic and proved over a brief stretch that he could handle a No. 1's workload if need be. But Sateri is representative of the many cheap goalies across the NHL/AHL/Europe that can be plugged into Reimer's spot and give you comparable/better play for a fraction of the cost.

Sticksandsun

Mar 11, 2015
What was Joyce looking at when he thought Pysyk didn't suck. Shoot him into the sun please Tallon

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Luongo had over 2 months to rest mid-season and he still looked gassed a month after he'd been the starter (the game against NYR was the first time it was brought up and after that game it became more & more clear), I don't even want to think what a full season as a starter would do to his body. At that age he just can't handle it anymore, he's been hurt in one way or the other every year after he came back (excluding the short stint post trade deadline in 2014).

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Providing it's not a lottery pick of course, I wouldn't be adverse to making a trade to shore up the D. Matheson, Ekblad and Yandle are no doubters for Top 4 but we need another solid vet in there to help Matty.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
???-Barkov-Dadonov
Huberdeau-Trocheck-???
???-Borgstrom-???
Mamin-???-Sceviour
Haley

assuming mamin and haley switch off as the 12th and 13th forwards, we have 5 spots available for bjugstad, mcginn, tippett, mccann, mackenzie, vatrano, and malgin. thats 7 players for 5 spots, not including any possible additions. i hope we add one of kovy or patches (preferably kovy) to the top line. either way i want to add a legit scoring threat to that top line. in the instance of kovalchuk he would cost no assets so thatd leave us with 7 players for 4 spots.

Yandle-Ekblad
Matheson-???
???-Weegar

trade pysyk and upgrade the position. weegar fulltime on the 3rd pairing and i actually wouldnt mind keeping petro but im guessing he's in line for a raise and between the big-3 d, not to mention adding another top-4 d (hopefully), then idk if itd be cool with spending 3+per on petro for the bottom pairing. would rather bring in a cheap vet.

if we're able to add that goal scoring winger like kovalchuk without giving up assets then id package the 1st rounder+ to acquire a top-4 D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad