GDT: The 2017 NHL Draft (Please read warning before posting. Draft talk only) | Part 2

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Great insight from Brian Lawton there. I suppose we owe scout Scott Bell a real note of gratitude for selecting Jake Guentzel. Apparently, Shero decided to give Bell a chance to select one player that he really liked, and it turned into Guentzel.

Great, great story.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I think it's a great idea to draft 19, 20, 21 and even 22 year olds at this stage of the draft.

If the talent is equal, or relatively equal, why not take the guy who can enter your organization sooner?

Obviously, you don't want to burn ELC deals but if you trust your scouts, get some guys and put them in the AHL as soon as you can. OR, have them play in the elite leagues as soon as you can.

Great strategy, imo.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Solid draft, a lot of projects and some interesting picks in the 5th round.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sounds like he's meant to be more offensive minded (although this is from 2015)

"Will Reilly is an offensive, puck-moving defenceman with a good size frame and good pro potential,†said NHL Director of Central Scouting Dan Marr. “His strength is his puck handling ability and puck movement; effective making a strong outlet pass. He has good offensive instincts and possesses a quick release shot; scoring 17 goals on the year. He used his array of playmaking and passing to quarterback the North York power play. He has used his year in the OJHL to develop his overall game and prepare himself for the next step in his hockey career."

http://pointstreaksites.com/view/ojhl/news-21/news_291483

https://www.mckeenshockey.com/uncategorized/scouting-william-reilly-2015-nhl-draft/

Koempel

Mar 8, 2010
Leuven
As long as he does not score the cup winning goal against us in our own building I am pretty satisfied.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As long as he does not score the cup winning goal against us in our own building I am pretty satisfied.

423.gif

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
This draft feels like a gigantic crapshoot. Even more so than usual.

No player we picked seems to stick out as a guy to really be hopeful about.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
This draft feels like a gigantic crapshoot. Even more so than usual.

No player we picked seems to stick out as a guy to really be hopeful about.

So, like every other Pens draft unless they have a top-3 pick? :laugh:

Hopefully some of these guys turn into the next wave of Guentzel, Rust, and Murray, rather than the next Sneep, Caputi, and Moon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad