GDT: The 2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs Part II

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
The Penguins have only one really, really good defender; Letang.

Olli Maatta when he's on his game is really solid. He's surprisingly physical and has a great stick, Bigras can possibly be like that. But yeah I agree with you somewhat, you need competent dmen, a solid top pairing, and really really good coaching which was the difference maker.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I hate to see tanking Penguins win it, but it gives me hope that Avs can win it with not only our defensive core (though with some upgrades), but with EJ Johnson as the #1.

Sucks that Crosby got the Conn Smythe, played good no doubt, but didn't deserve it. Penguins shot blocking should have won the trophy.

Kevin Porter can't park, but hey, at least he lifted the Cup without dropping it. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I hate to see tanking Penguins win it, but it gives me hope that Avs can win it with not only their defensive core (though with some upgrades), but with EJ Johnson as the #1.

Sucks that Crosby got the Conn Smythe, played good no doubt, but didn't deserve it. Penguins shot blocking should have won the trophy.

Kevin Porter can't park, but hey, at least he lifted the Cup without dropping it. :sarcasm:

yep, EJ isn't good as Letang but if Zadorov and Bigras develop properly and if we play a good system I like our chances in the future.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That entire shift by Kris Letang should be the reason the Avs pay Barrie whatever he wants.

But Barrie is not Letang

Yes and no to this. First off, it's dumb to pay Barrie whatever he wants, since, Tigre, you're right that he's nowhere near Letang. But I think Kento might have been talking about that one single "beast mode" play where a magical thing happens when Letang just couldn't be stopped. I think Barrie gets overrated by some of our posters, but he DOES possess that same ability where sometimes, something magical happens and Tyson goes into Bobby Orr Space Jam Aura Form.

Was so disappointed with Pavelski, you could tell that this was all new to him. And he just never accepted the pressure, he had the best chance to tie the game I believe in the third, and he went into Kuntiz ****** mode and decided to pass it. Sharks force a Game 7 and perhaps a good chance to win it if he played like he did against the Blues. It's hard to see them back in the Finals though, so I feel for the Shark fans.

yep, EJ isn't good as Letang but if Zadorov and Bigras develop properly and if we play a good system I like our chances in the future.
Agreed. I will also say is if we got our EJ back from our 112 point season, he isn't THAT far off from Letang IMO. Zadorov and Bigras both have the potential to be better or as good as Maatta. Besides him and Letang, you got freakin' Cole, Lovejoy, Schultz, Dulomin, and Daley back there. I will want to give some credit to Daley though, another example about how fluky advanced stats are, he played quite remarkably.

Actually I was very impressed by Braun. If there was a way to get rid of Iginla's contract and sign him and Radulov, Avs could be in good shape IMO.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
People can hate on GMJR all they want but he did some serious restructuring and now has a cup

He deserved the hate, and a lot of his previous moves were asinine with Carolina. But when it counted, he made the correct moves for Pittsburgh. I still don't think he's a GM you want long term, but he did get Pittsburgh another cup.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I hate to see tanking Penguins win it, but it gives me hope that Avs can win it with not only our defensive core (though with some upgrades), but with EJ Johnson as the #1.

Crosby got the Conn Smythe, played good no doubt, but didn't deserve it. Penguins shot blocking should have won the trophy.

Can't say I disagree. Still better than TOews winning in 2010. That should've been Keith's.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
The optimism is fine and dandy, but we have to remember that the Pens' playoff run benefitted from having three of the best forwards in the world on their side. The Avs aren't quite as fortunate.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
The optimism is fine and dandy, but we have to remember that the Pens' playoff run benefitted from having three of the best forwards in the world on their side. The Avs aren't quite as fortunate.

Avs could of had that and more if they tanked the last two seasons instead of having a mediocre good for nothing seasons. They could of had McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon, Duchene

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Avs could of had that and more if they tanked the last two seasons instead of having a mediocre good for nothing seasons. They could of had McDavid, Matthews, MacKinnon, Duchene

I forgot - even if we had somehow managed to finish dead last both years, we definitely would have won the first overall pick both times with only a 20% chance :rolleyes:

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I forgot - even if we had somehow managed to finish dead last both years, we definitely would have won the first overall pick both times with only a 20% chance :rolleyes:

Yeah well still worth a try specially for a generational player like McDavid. How do you think Pens won the cup today? They tanked for Crosby and Malkin

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
People saying tanking is wrong but it's basically the only way you can win in today's NHL. If you don't finish last and draft players like Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Toews etc.. you can't win with the salary cap structure

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The crazy part is the Pens looked to be in serious decline the last few years, they really turned things around.

They overhauled something like 14 of the 20 roster players since the end of the 2014 season. The big name guys (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Fleury, Kunitz) are the same, but just about 100% of the supporting cast was replaced in a very short period of time.

And of course, they replaced the coach also.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
Happy for Phil - probably should have won the Conn Smythe but of course the writers just needed to cement Crosby's legacy with the Conn Smythe. Not that Crosby wasn't amazing as usual but on the whole I thought Kessel was more valuable throughout the playoffs.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
People saying tanking is wrong but it's basically the only way you can win in today's NHL. If you don't finish last and draft players like Crosby, Malkin, Kane, Toews etc.. you can't win with the salary cap structure

Or you tank and get a MacKinnon.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
We used to be a fast team once. We might still be, I can't tell because of how messed up we play.

Ah MacKinnon, the guy was actually a more electrifying and better 2-way player in JUNIOR, somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad