Prospect Info: The 2016 NHL Entry Draft III [10th Overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
If by some miracle Laine is still there at 4 I would trade barrie in a heartbeat to Edmonton. He is going to be an amazing player I know we need D but damn I would love to have him!

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
If by some miracle Laine is still there at 4 I would trade barrie in a heartbeat to Edmonton. He is going to be an amazing player I know we need D but damn I would love to have him!

#4 becomes more valuable at that point than it is now...so I don't think Barrie would get the deal done.

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Laine won't be there, but regardless, Edmonton would quickly shop that pick for an elite defender, then run up to the stage to grab Laine, and laugh for the rest of the summer.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Sorry to interrupt this fun discussion on the draft being blown up like in the movie Draft Day. For those that don't want to take a goalie in the 3rd round, I'd like you to reconsider and be at least open to the idea of taking a goalie at 71st overall. If the Avalanche are serious about having a proper goalie pipeline then there should be serious consideration from the Avs to select a goalie in the 3rd round.

Drafting Goalies Matter (And Where)

Drafting All Positions Matter!:sarcasm:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
#4 becomes more valuable at that point than it is now...so I don't think Barrie would get the deal done.

And it holds up any possible trade for the #4 until the last minute.

81824-Wonka-the-suspense-is-terrible-F0L1.gif

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015

Its a good listen, nice that they did this.

I just finished it. Of course he won't go into any specifics, but it was interesting to hear what the process is. I like the multiple insistences that they're going BPA everywhere. Of course their personal version of BPA won't always match up with Central Scouting but it's nice to know they won't pick a defenseman at 10 just because they "need" one like everybody assumes.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I just finished it. Of course he won't go into any specifics, but it was interesting to hear what the process is. I like the multiple insistences that they're going BPA everywhere. Of course their personal version of BPA won't always match up with Central Scouting but it's nice to know they won't pick a defenseman at 10 just because they "need" one like everybody assumes.

Most assume they will pass over the D man since it's been the MO for most of the time in Colorado. They rarely take D men in the first round and if they do it is usually after a forward or due to them having multiple selections.

I have no faith in the Avs to pick a D man with a top pick. They will always rationalize that the forward was the BPA and the value for defense men is to be had in the 2nd or later and a guy they graded in the top 15-20 will be the D man pick in the 2nd.

Our defense will continue to be horrendous, they will attempt to find band aid's for it and then bemoan that franchises are not trading top 4 d men and that you have to develop them from within...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I'd prefer they used size, physicality, yada, yada, yada as part of the need size of the equation as oppossed to translating that into what makes them best.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Alright, after binge-watching some footage I'm firmly on the Keller bandwagon. Kid makes it look effortless.

(Not to mention our team's track record with smallish centres who wear #19) ;)

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
The AvsCast with Hepple is a really good listen. He did kind of mention "one kid" with an NCAA commitment who has the chance to go to Windsor for the Mem Cup... It's cool to have an Av at the Memorial Cup again. :sarcasm:

Means nothing in reality of course but it's interesting to hear the scouts talk about the players like that.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
i'm not the biggest laine fan but if he's there at #4, oilers gotta take him. trade hall/eberle/RNH/yak/other picks for dman.

laine has his flaws but they wouldn't matter if he gets spoon fed the puck from mcdavid.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Laine isn't dropping at #4 guys. He's the bonafide #2 on almost every expert list (with the exception of a couple where he's #1). If the Jets don't want him they'll trade down.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I think they're awful and not as informative as they can be. I've already suggested to the mods to make two sets, one for the main NHL board and one for the prospect board which is locked except for certain submitters like HF Partners or something or people known for scouting.

Whenever there's a controversial pick, the thread will get filled and filled with one word posts of OMG or REEAAAAAAAAAACH or FML so instead of learning about draft picks, it just turns into a meme-fest and even without a reach or a faller, it's mostly spam. I know I sound like old man yelling at clouds but the draft's pretty sacred to me and I'd like ONE place to have some insightful live coverage of it because it certainly won't be from TV where the presenters are all NHL guys that have limited knowledge about prospects minus what they're able to read and occasionally see.

I was speaking more specifically about the Florida threads when we took the player they wanted (again).

I avoid the main board stuff mostly because it goes too fast and agree there is little content in real time there.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I don't see it like that, oh just take a goalie with your last pick because why not. I think it's important, they should take one. I'm sort of in the middle here, I think they should take one and be smart about it and not just take a flyer on a guy but this system is just desperation level need for skaters, particularly forwards, I just think that need is greater to get a higher end guy at that spot. We have Martin, who is a greater talent who will be in the development system than pretty much anyone else expected to be in SA next year. If we hadn't given away our 4th, if we had an extra pick somewhere then I think they can afford to pick a higher end goalie but right now I don't. Unless of course their list on the skaters left at 71 gets thinned out. They just MUST walk away from this draft with 3 bona fide non-flyer, non-random attended the combine, attend the draft sort of skaters that they for see themselves signing and contributing in the pro system in two years. That's nice if they can get some out of the later rounds too but they have to be very pro active and smart about what they do in the top half of this draft.

I know what you're saying. I know our own prospect pool is not the best right now at any position. It pretty much comes down to do the Avs view skater prospects as being more valuable then goalie prospects. We can talk about how we have Martin already for goalies. For defense someone could point out Meloche or for forward Beaudin and Greer can pointed to as Martin level prospects. Looking at the non-pro system the Avalanche better skaters then they do goalies...or goalie.

Maybe we'll get lucky and acquire another 3rd round pick by moving Mitchell or something :laugh:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think I want Keller now. I like the swagger of this kid. I will prolly change my mind 4-5 more times before we even go up to the podium tomorrow though. From my youtube scouting he reminds me of a cross between Drouin,Patrick Kane and Gaudreau somewhere in the middle of all that. Im having visions of him feeding Mackinnon and I like it.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The AvsCast with Hepple is a really good listen. He did kind of mention "one kid" with an NCAA commitment who has the chance to go to Windsor for the Mem Cup... It's cool to have an Av at the Memorial Cup again. :sarcasm:

Means nothing in reality of course but it's interesting to hear the scouts talk about the players like that.

I think he referred to Keller 3-4x without directly saying his name :laugh: Sergachev might be the guy but I seriously think they want Keller. I was trying to figure out how even fits in our lineup but then the Drouin-MacKinnon match dawned on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad