Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'm guessing people won't be mad then if the Avs draft Connor?
The only way I'll be mad is if we take a guy like Konecny or Merkley. I'm pretty confident that isn't happening, given their size.

I do think it's funny that people were mad at the end of the year when the Avs were winning games because they assumed their was a distinct Top 9, thinking Barzal wasn't in it and that Zacha had dropped out. Now that it's a clear top 11, with some scouts even ranking Connor and Meier in there, doesn't seem to be a huge deal.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
People will still be mad depending on who is taken at 8 and 9. But yeah, there was always a top 11.

I don't know that I'd be upset at any of the ~13 or even a guy like Zboril. I'll be upset if they trade the pick for some middle of the road player like Gardiner. If the trade is part of trading down or some other way we end up with more picks that's ok. I have my favorites and guys I prefer but I don't straight up dislike anyone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I have long been a person in the top ~13 group. The only player that seemed to leave the group is Kylington and Meier entered it. I still think Kylington has that sort of talent to be in that group, it is just that the questions are mounting and there is too much risk to pick him that high.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I am still holding out hope for my favorite non provorov russian in Evgeny Svechnikov, I won't be mad if they pick crouse but I have a feeling flyers will take him, leaving 1 of rantanen (spelling) zacha meire or connor of the top guys, of those I pick connor.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
I'm guessing people won't be mad then if the Avs draft Connor?

Other than the people who will be mad when we don't take a D-man, I think most of us here are fine with Connor.

Crouse seems to be the consensus favorite among the regulars, but most us are fine with several other names as well.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Personally I'm crossing my fingers that both Barzal and Crouse are taken before #10, so we don't take them just because they're still there.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I honestly still don't understand the Crouse hate. It's not like we'd be taking him 5th or 6th. We're taking him 10th. Even most of the people who have knocked him all year still concede that he'd be a decent pick in that range.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
I honestly still don't understand the Crouse hate. It's not like we'd be taking him 5th or 6th. We're taking him 10th. Even most of the people who have knocked him all year still concede that he'd be a decent pick in that range.

It's the Hugh Jessiman syndrome that Landy was a victim of as well.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Everyone focuses too much on his point totals, but everyone ignores just how translatable his game is to the NHL. A junior player might score a ton in junior, but they might not be able to play that game at the NHL level or score the same way. That shouldn't be an issue with Crouse. McKenzie's scout rankings still have him in the top 10, and the quotes from scouts in the HP Black Book are all glowing reviews. It seems NHL scouts love him, but fans don't quite understand why. I'd be more than happy to get him at 10.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I don't even understand your post.

I'm saying that I think other prospects would be a better fit, but if Barzal or Crouse are there at #10, we might take them just because they're the best player available, and wow they fell to #10. Whereas if they are both gone, I'd probably be happier with whoever else we ended up with.

Not going to be bummed out if we pick either though. I'm just more intrigued by other players.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Everyone focuses too much on his point totals, but everyone ignores just how translatable his game is to the NHL. A junior player might score a ton in junior, but they might not be able to play that game at the NHL level or score the same way. That shouldn't be an issue with Crouse. McKenzie's scout rankings still have him in the top 10, and the quotes from scouts in the HP Black Book are all glowing reviews. It seems NHL scouts love him, but fans don't quite understand why. I'd be more than happy to get him at 10.

Exactly and the contrast that with the entire page of contradictory scout quotes about Strome but fans don't worry about him because he won the OHL scoring title.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

junior scoring usually tends to translate fairly well.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Size Queen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
junior scoring usually tends to translate fairly well.

Gagner agrees. :sarcasm:

Scouting is an imperfect science. I can show a ton of guys who were great junior scorers that didn't amount to much of anything. Just like I can show a ton of players with Crouse's stats that also did nothing.

Stats just don't tell the full story, they give a glimpse. When people take that glimpse and project it out is where they can get into trouble.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Crouse scores more "NHL" points than most of the other draft-eligible players. Being able to turn defenders inside and out at the junior level is very different from doing so at the NHL level. However, crashing, banging, cycling effectively, scoring rebounds, tipped shots, etc. are what translate extremely well. You watch Crouse and you get the feeling you're watching a very good NHL third line player already, and that's at 17 years of age for most of the season. By the time he's 20/21, he will be a bonafide, very effective, second line player. Having him and Landy as our top two left wingers would be fantastic, no doubt about it.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Crouse scores more "NHL" points than most of the other draft-eligible players. Being able to turn defenders inside and out at the junior level is very different from doing so at the NHL level. However, crashing, banging, cycling effectively, scoring rebounds, tipped shots, etc. are what translate extremely well. You watch Crouse and you get the feeling you're watching a very good NHL third line player already, and that's at 17 years of age for most of the season. By the time he's 20/21, he will be a bonafide, very effective, second line player. Having him and Landy as our top two left wingers would be fantastic, no doubt about it.

I totally agree. I'd love to grab Crouse at 10. His ability to disrupt the opposing teams breakout and his play off the puck are already at a high level. If groomed correctly he could be a fantastic player.

Someone mentioned this earlier. Everyone talks about how other prospects could turn out to be great, but then they look at Crouse and just assume he is going to stay the same. Who's to say Zacha doesn't just become Wolski 2.0? What if Rantanen is just another over-hyped Finnish prospect? I'd personally like to take my chances with Crouse.

KingSizeKirby

PLAYOFFS!?
May 26, 2011
Ontario
It a toss up between Crouse or Zacha for me. If one of them fell to 10 i'd go crazy! If they aren't there I wouldn't be mad with Rantanen, Werenski, Barzel or Provorov.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

I think a lot of people fail to realize that producing at the NHL level isn't just about pure skill, it's about instincts, anticipation, and doing the dirty work to get yourself into position to score. People said the same thing about Landy's relative lack of skill in 2011, and 4 years later, look who leads that draft class in scoring?

Crouse is #4 on my list of players for us. I sure hope he falls to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad