Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Entry Draft: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
No I'd still be mad.

And then when he makes his impact with the Avs, your tune will change ;)

After talking with Henchy (again, whose opinion I trust implicitly), I wouldn't be upset at all if they took Connor. Really, at this point, I wouldn't be too upset at Meier (just have others I would prefer), but I don't really want them to go "off board" with a Konency or Merkley. Not because they're "bad players", but because it would mean that they would be passing up a better prospect.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
From what I've heard, Crouse seems sort of as a meaner, less skilled Marion Hossa. I'd actually like to see if he could play his off wing if we drafted him. Prides himself on defense and uses his big body to make plays. Kind of like a mix of Bickell and Hossa I guess, and that is an extremely attractive player.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
From what I've heard, Crouse seems sort of as a meaner, less skilled Marion Hossa. I'd actually like to see if he could play his off wing if we drafted him. Prides himself on defense and uses his big body to make plays. Kind of like a mix of Bickell and Hossa I guess, and that is an extremely attractive player.

Agreed 100%.

FoppaForsberg*

As long as they don't go off board I think I'll be happy.

Zacha, Connor, Crouse, Werenski, Rantanen. All guys that I'd be very happy with. Only ones I hope we stay away from are Barzal and Meier.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
As long as they don't go off board I think I'll be happy.

Zacha, Connor, Crouse, Werenski, Rantanen. All guys that I'd be very happy with. Only ones I hope we stay away from are Barzal and Meier.

This is identical to my list (assuming a guy like Provorov, etc. doesn't slip to 10).

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
Wont happen this way, but what if everyone ahead of us has the same tunnel vision about big forwards, and McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin (the only D to go), Strome, Marner, Crouse, Rantanen, Zacha, Connor and Meier go top 10?

Do the Avs continue the tunnel vision and pick Bittner/Svechnikov? The next ranked big winger would be a distinct possibility.

Do they buck the trend and take a D (Provorov or Werenski presumably)? I could see them taking the hint and choosing a D.

Or do they go for the small skill guy in Barzal. They want to stock the forward pool, and he is BFA at this point, despite being a bit small for what they seem to want. Skill level way ahead of the remaining forwards makes him a real possibility.

Again, it will not happen like this, as the other teams will not let all three of those consensus top 10 guys drop like that. But if they did, I could see any of the three cases. And I thought it might make for an interesting discussion.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I guess my order now is

Crouse
Zacha
Rantanen
Barzal
Meier
Connor
Werenski

I'm pretty sure we'll end up with one of the above and I'm fine with any of them. I still just like Barzal and no logic is going to change my mind ;)

Tweaky, yeah it's certainly possible. If they are determined to get a larger forward and just value that more on their board I wouldn't entirely rule it out.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
The top 6 is a lock to me and the rest of the top 11 depends on who philly takes.
1-McDavid
2-Eichel
3-Strome
4-Marner
5-Hanifin
6-Barzal

If Philly takes Crouse then
8-Provorov
9-Werenski
10-Zacha
11-Rantanen

If Philly takes Provorov then
8-Werenski
9-Zacha
10-Crouse
11-Rantanen

If Philly takes Zacha then:
8-Provorov
9-Werenski
10-Crouse
11-Rantanen

Not sure who Philly is going to take for sure but I'd give it 40% chance of Crouse, 40% chance of Provorov and 20% chance of Zacha.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Barzal is probably going to be very good but just doesn't work for me because of the fit. He's like the only type of player this team doesn't need. If he's by far the BPA and you can't move down then you probably take him but it doesn't seem like much separates the players in that range.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Wont happen this way, but what if everyone ahead of us has the same tunnel vision about big forwards, and McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin (the only D to go), Strome, Marner, Crouse, Rantanen, Zacha, Connor and Meier go top 10?

Do the Avs continue the tunnel vision and pick Bittner/Svechnikov? The next ranked big winger would be a distinct possibility.

Do they buck the trend and take a D (Provorov or Werenski presumably)? I could see them taking the hint and choosing a D.

Or do they go for the small skill guy in Barzal. They want to stock the forward pool, and he is BFA at this point, despite being a bit small for what they seem to want. Skill level way ahead of the remaining forwards makes him a real possibility.

Again, it will not happen like this, as the other teams will not let all three of those consensus top 10 guys drop like that. But if they did, I could see any of the three cases. And I thought it might make for an interesting discussion.

I'm game for making a controversial statement here... Svechnikov is every bit as talented as Barzal, if not more talented. I could see arguments for Svechnikov being in the top 5 of this draft from a pure talent perspective. He just has so many holes in his game that he isn't going to be taken in the top 12.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
The top 6 is a lock to me and the rest of the top 11 depends on who philly takes.
1-McDavid
2-Eichel
3-Strome
4-Marner
5-Hanifin
6-Barzal

If Philly takes Crouse then
8-Provorov
9-Werenski
10-Zacha
11-Rantanen

If Philly takes Provorov then
8-Werenski
9-Zacha
10-Crouse
11-Rantanen

If Philly takes Zacha then:
8-Provorov
9-Werenski
10-Crouse
11-Rantanen

Not sure who Philly is going to take for sure but I'd give it 40% chance of Crouse, 40% chance of Provorov and 20% chance of Zacha.
Why do you think Barzal is a lock for New Jersey? I keep reading the New Jersey is in love with Zacha. Barzal going at #6 would be the best case for the Avs.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
And I'm not entirely buying that Hanifin isn't going third, I wonder how far Strome could fall.

Yep. Barzal going before us pretty much guarantees one of the forwards we want the most will be there. Werenski going too.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Why do you think Barzal is a lock for New Jersey? I keep reading the New Jersey is in love with Zacha. Barzal going at #6 would be the best case for the Avs.

Because if he hadn't been hurt he'd be in the conversation with Marner+Strome as the best forward after mceichel. What he showed at the u-18 was what he can do when healthy. Has a better 2-way game than Zacha as well.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
And I'm not entirely buying that Hanifin isn't going third, I wonder how far Strome could fall.

Yep. Barzal going before us pretty much guarantees one of the forwards we want the most will be there. Werenski going too.

Strome will be the 3rd or 4th pick. Toronto is confident Arizona is taking him and supposedly debating between Marner+Provorov to take at 4.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Because if he hadn't been hurt he'd be in the conversation with Marner+Strome as the best forward after mceichel. What he showed at the u-18 was what he can do when healthy. Has a better 2-way game than Zacha as well.

I wouldn't say that.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
But that doesn't make him a lock to go to New Jersey. Even McKenzie says 6-11 are real tight, and there's nothing that indicates either way they'll take Barzal. I would love it if they do, but I don't think he's a lock.

Think it's funny an NHL Scout in the Black Book said that while guys like Marner and Konecny bust their ***** to get back after losing the puck, Barzal waits for someone else to get it back to him.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
It's the Hugh Jessiman syndrome that Landy was a victim of as well.

I think there's a pretty big difference between a guy like Jessiman (who looked like frikkin' WADE BELAK when he was drafted) and Crouse. The Rangers are often guilty of overlooking obvious traits and projecting well beyond the capabilities of a certain prospect. (They did this with McIlrath as well) If the kid has issues stickhandling and making easy passes at high speed, the likelihood that he gets WAY better in this particular BASIC area of the game is very low as the talent and overall skill of the players in the upper levels increase.

He's definitely meaner but I'd say that's a largely unfair comparison even if you say 'less skilled'. Marian Hossa is a star player and one of the top-2 way players in the league. I would suggest the current comparable playing in the NHL right now is probably Chris Kreider though I personally believe that Crouse will end up a better and more physical version of Kreider.

That would be a pretty big mistake. Bittner is overrated and I think he drops to the 2nd round or lower. While he's big, can skate and does a lot of things well, he's maximum upside is 3rd line, in my opinion. While his floor is probably higher than other players, I guess it depends on your drafting philosophy on where you'd feel comfortable taking him.

Of course, there will likely be a bunch of teams who don't see it that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad