The 2015-2016 Blues Discussion Thread - Part III

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Well the Blues already have come back from a few 1-0 deficits and won. Even in the Minnesota game, they had the Wild on the ropes. And they've had a good road trip without a lot of key players. It's early so I agree with you, we still need to see more, but so far I do think the Blues look a little mentally tougher. Also I'm not sure how much you can read into JR's piece that the Blues are "having fun" because that may just be because they're winning, but I remember last year when Stastny said that it would be like a funeral in the locker room every time the Blues lost a game. I really hope they are getting over that, because that can't be very healthy.

I'm eager to follow this team and see how they keep responding to adversity as well. Because the last couple years, aside from that game against the Capitals last year, they've been pretty bad about it. A win tonight would be another very good step in the right direction.

Stastny's quote is something I've been thinking about a lot. I think that mentality comes with a lot of 1st round exits and doubting the team's ability to win when it matters most. I think we're already seeing that we can produce comeback wins, and hopefulyl we show tonight (unlike last year, I think) that we can beat the tough opponents, too.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Yea that Minnesota game said alot to me. Hitch praised them for that effort. Even if they lose tonight, I just want to see the heart and passion to win.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
Liut's got to be the answer in terms of overall career in St. Louis. I obviously never saw him myself but every goalie guy I know says he was absolutely amazing. His numbers look crappy but that's in part because he played in some absolutely horrendous Blues teams.

I'd have to give Ells consideration for single best season though.

Career wise Elliott could end up as #1 winningest easily though along with his insane seasons

shpongle falls

Ass Möde
Oct 1, 2014
The Night Train
So does everybody think Ell's is our #1 goalie this year? I know it's super early still and alot can change between now and when the playoffs start, but Elliott has clearly been the better goaltender so far. Also, he's been nothing but rock solid for us in his career with the Blues and is the only goalie we've had in recent years that has won a playoff series. It's baffling to me why the Blues haven't given him a few games in the playoffs the past few years, maybe that changes this year.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
It's without a doubt to me. Outside of the first goal against in Edmonton, he's been solid and reliable.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
So does everybody think Ell's is our #1 goalie this year? I know it's super early still and alot can change between now and when the playoffs start, but Elliott has clearly been the better goaltender so far. Also, he's been nothing but rock solid for us in his career with the Blues and is the only goalie we've had in recent years that has won a playoff series. It's baffling to me why the Blues haven't given him a few games in the playoffs the past few years, maybe that changes this year.

The Blues are running out of excuses with Elliott. I've never seen a goalie more deserving than Elliott not be labeled as a #1 goaltender.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Elliott has to be considered the #1 goalie at this point. Allen is athletic, but often gets himself out of position. Ells has been solid to start the season. Allen has had issues in his 3 starts. Allen has the athleticism, but not sure if he has the mental makeup to be #1. He doesn't seem to recover well after giving up a goal. Allen's athleticism often gets him out of position.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
At this point, our indecision with goalies is saying a lot more about our management than it is about our goaltending.

If the 1A/1B idea is so great, use it in the playoffs. If you aren't willing to do that, then commit to a goalie. 4 years, 4 different playoff starters and we still have no idea what we have in Brian Elliott.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
One easy sloppy goal and Allen's confidence goes zero. I think that reflects guys and sure everybody are shaky after uncertain goaltender. So going post-season with Sloppy Allen and Second base Elliott, I'll say this -"we are doomed".

Doesn't help situation The Ringmaster Hitch cannot pull trigger when needed and when he does game and series is already over.

Last edited:

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
One easy sloppy goal and Allen's confidence goes zero. I think that reflects guys and sure everybody are shaky after uncertain goaltender. So going post-season with Sloppy Allen and Second base Elliott, I'll say this -"we are doomed". Doesn't help situation The Ringmaster Hitch cannot pull trigger when needed and when he does game and series is already over.

That goal was an epic fail by everyone. SOB didn't get the puck in deep, Gunnarsson lost the middle of the ice, and Shattenkirk pulled an Ovechkin controller disconnected because he was worried about Matt freakin Cooke. Allen should've bailed them out, but all 6 on the ice failed there.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
At this point, our indecision with goalies is saying a lot more about our management than it is about our goaltending.

If the 1A/1B idea is so great, use it in the playoffs. If you aren't willing to do that, then commit to a goalie. 4 years, 4 different playoff starters and we still have no idea what we have in Brian Elliott.

No doubt management has completely bungled the situation. I'm with you, Elliott should be named the starter and be done with it. Ride him through the hot and cold and through the playoffs. If he doesn't give the team the performance you need then simply move on from him. I suspect however, that we'll once again see a 1A/1B and an unjustified lack of confidence in Elliott.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
Comments on Allen:

1. His positioning is inconsistent, sloppy and/or lazy (you choose the adjective)
2. His edge work has not improved (wonder if he did any work over the summer?)
3. The five hole still appears to be a weakness (which IMO is simply unacceptable for an NHL goaltender--if you can't shut down the five hole, you don't make it in the NHL)
4. His puck tracking is nothing special.
5. He appears prone to mental lapses.

Generally, when you end the season on a low note with two bad games, one would hope that it might be incentive to work your tail off over the summer and come back strong early the next year. I see no evidence of that occurring with Allen and it's a bit disappointing. Some kids have that internal drive to be great...some don't. Allen has some great physical gifts but I really don't think he is the answer for us this year. I would rather see Binnington or one of our other "prospects" get some time with the big club than see an entire year of Allen.

Last edited:

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
At least Allen has shown he can play in the NHL and be dominant in the AHL. Copley and Binnington are getting lit up in the AHL, what makes you think they would be better than Allen right now?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
At least Allen has shown he can play in the NHL and be dominant in the AHL. Copley and Binnington are getting lit up in the AHL, what makes you think they would be better than Allen right now?

They've played a total of 3 games between them. Much like Allen to this point, it's safe to say small sample size. Calling for Allen's head at this point is just ridiculous. Elliott needs to be the guy for sure, but Allen is a very capable backup at this point with room to grow still.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
They've played a total of 3 games between them. Much like Allen to this point, it's safe to say small sample size. Calling for Allen's head at this point is just ridiculous. Elliott needs to be the guy for sure, but Allen is a very capable backup at this point with room to grow still.
Well I hope that's what people mean. It's what I mean when I call for his head lol. I don't want him traded. Elliott has simply been the better goalie.

Hell....if you were this guys teammate, wouldn't you fight tooth and nail for him, given the fact he's still here after last year. Dude is the poster child of a perfect teammate

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Well I hope that's what people mean. It's what I mean when I call for his head lol. I don't want him traded. Elliott has simply been the better goalie.

Hell....if you were this guys teammate, wouldn't you fight tooth and nail for him, given the fact he's still here after last year. Dude is the poster child of a perfect teammate

Don't disagree with any of what you've said. When I mentioned callin for Allen's head, I'm referencing the desire of some to get rid of Allen all together.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Don't disagree with any of what you've said. When I mentioned callin for Allen's head, I'm referencing the desire of some to get rid of Allen all together.

Yea, that's just silly. He's a quality goalie. He's excelled in the backup role.

My fear is that Elliott will get the job and Allen will have some faux hot streak at the end of the year and try to ride the hot hand again....

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Allen's play reminds me a lot of Brent Johnson. Hailed as the organization's solution at goalie, the pressure gets to him and he toils in mediocrity until the team moves on. Let's just hope Elliott doesn't turn into Roman Turek all of a sudden.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
And down goes Stastny. IR'd with a broken foot, to be reevaluated in 5 weeks.

Also known as Bluesitis

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Of course it's a broken foot, if this means we're going to see more of Gomez I'm going to throw up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad