The 2015-2016 Blues Discussion Thread - Part III

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
tribute to TJ :D

Day 1 of Informal Skates. It looks like the coaches have their work cut out for them. #stlblues https://t.co/aLNXFl0GcP

There is edit version where Backes beat up those boys. No room for fooling around.

tumblr_n1gqhcxumO1qlfo2so2_250.gif

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not sure if Brouwer had anything to do with that idea but he's off to a decent start in my eyes, as I got a kick out of that video.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I think they nailed my stride and presence on the ice.

Last edited:

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
as irrational as we all are, I think we should continue the system that has been established where, because most aren't in favor of armstrong, they take away everything he has done to make it harder for his moves to make sense.

I want Gunnar to step it up.
I want Steen to have a great year so we can move him for weight at the deadline.
I want Berglund here for life.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
as irrational as we all are, I think we should continue the system that has been established where, because most aren't in favor of armstrong, they take away everything he has done to make it harder for his moves to make sense.

I want Gunnar to step it up.
I want Steen to have a great year so we can move him for weight at the deadline.
I want Berglund here for life.

you want to trade Steen at the deadline and keep Berglund forever? Can you justify this? Steen is infinitely more valuable to the success of the team.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
If these tweets hold any true what Hitch was plan to do with Berglund and Backes just is mind blowing. Makes me really thinking are they seriously planned to put Berglund in center spot and Backes on wing?
Its like fighting all where they both are better.

Okey, I'm just throwing could Backes want to play with Stastny and Schwartz? Getting real produce point wise then go UFA market? Idk, but Backes played some games was it last or year before that in winger and he pull out good aggressive hits and back check, but I really don't like how he was like mad man vol. 2 Ott. Always late and overplayed himself on wing.

That Gomez tweet scared me hell out. "Scott Gomez will get a stronger look than some might think." I don't like that at all.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Honestly I didn't think Backes looked great or bad on the wing last year. He wasn't anymore aggressive from what I remember. Backes smash when Backes wants to.

Either way...he's welcome to go beast mode all season and cash in ufa if he wants. Only helps the Blues

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I would be fine with Backes as shutdown, 3rd line C but then does our 3rd line get too much icetime trying to shut down the opposition at the expense of having our top 2 lines on the ice more?

I'd like to see the team experiment in camp with Backes as 3rd line C but also with him on RW next to Stastny. Backes is a good shutdown center but he's also one of the top power forwards in the league and easily one of our top 6 overall forwards. That would likely give the Blues top two lines something like:

Steen/Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Schwartz/Steen-Stastny-Backes

And since Brouwer can play C as well as RW, maybe a 3rd line of:

Jaskin-Brouwer-Fabbri

It would just depend on if those 3 could make up a 3rd line that could be trusted in its two-way ability. It's also possible that Fabbri could handle 3rd line C and maybe Jaskin-Fabbri-Brouwer works. Or maybe Gomez impresses and it's Jaskin-Gomez-Brouwer.

Lots of questions and line combos to be figured out in camp.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I would be fine with Backes as shutdown, 3rd line C but then does our 3rd line get too much icetime trying to shut down the opposition at the expense of having our top 2 lines on the ice more?

I'd like to see the team experiment in camp with Backes as 3rd line C but also with him on RW next to Stastny. Backes is a good shutdown center but he's also one of the top power forwards in the league and easily one of our top 6 overall forwards. That would likely give the Blues top two lines something like:

Steen/Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Schwartz/Steen-Stastny-Backes

And since Brouwer can play C as well as RW, maybe a 3rd line of:

Jaskin-Brouwer-Fabbri

It would just depend on if those 3 could make up a 3rd line that could be trusted in its two-way ability. It's also possible that Fabbri could handle 3rd line C and maybe Jaskin-Fabbri-Brouwer works. Or maybe Gomez impresses and it's Jaskin-Gomez-Brouwer.

Lots of questions and line combos to be figured out in camp.

Question which one favour team.

Code:
Steen/Schwartz - Lehterä - Tarasenko
Schwartz/Steen - Stastny - Backes
Jaskin - Fabbri/Gomez - Brouwer
Ott - Brodziak - Reaves
Berglund?

So you would be fine 2nd line would be our shutdown line/getting toughest minutes? Youngster 3rd line would get easiest minutes. 1st line get most offensive starts?

I prefer these:

Code:
Fabbri - Lehterä - Tarasenko
Schwartz - Stastny - Jaskin
Steen - Backes - Brouwer
Ott/Berglund - Brodziak - Reaves

Clear shutdown line is 3rd. 1st and 2nd would get most o-zone starts.

If Fabbri cannot make to the team:

Code:
Schwartz - Lehterä - Tarasenko
Berglund - Stastny - Jaskin
Steen - Backes - Brouwer
Ott - Brodziak - Reaves

Same here also. 1st most o-zone starts, 2nd line can handle more d-zone starts, 3rd line would also get o-zone starts, but pointing this is balanced lines.

I need to clear one thing that Steen/Berglund - Backes - Brouwer should be shutdown line were you can build up 1st and 2nd lines and use your imagination to mix it up.

But yeah, you cannot do anything wrong with these lines. No right or wrong set up. I think that is best thing Blues now, there is working duos and you can mix up if needed and it wont affect negative team efford only wake up.

I think I'm going to love our 4th line this season. Ott - Brodziak - Reaves is going to be beast.

Just friday humour, would guys love to see 0% scoring ability line: Berglund - Ott - Gomez :bb:

Last edited:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I think we just need to spread it out so we have three good two-way lines.

Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Jaskin
Fabbri-Backes-Brouwer

That's what I would start with. Fabbri gets some protection in a way with two bruisers who can give him some room to work with the puck and also teach him the ropes defensively. Stastny and Jaskin had good chemistry last season so keep them together, but actually give them a good left winger this time (Steen and Schwartz are pretty interchangeable on their lines), and then of course the STL line.

Of course, I could also see Fabbri and Jaskin switching, giving us a big physical 3rd line and Fabbri an opportunity to really form another great scoring line.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I think we just need to spread it out so we have three good two-way lines.

Schwartz-Lehtera-Tarasenko
Steen-Stastny-Jaskin
Fabbri-Backes-Brouwer

That's what I would start with. Fabbri gets some protection in a way with two bruisers who can give him some room to work with the puck and also teach him the ropes defensively. Stastny and Jaskin had good chemistry last season so keep them together, but actually give them a good left winger this time (Steen and Schwartz are pretty interchangeable on their lines), and then of course the STL line.

Of course, I could also see Fabbri and Jaskin switching, giving us a big physical 3rd line and Fabbri an opportunity to really form another great scoring line.

I like the look of this. I'd also like to see Fabbri take the occasional shift with Stas and Steen. Looks like a good option

thedustman

Jun 19, 2013
If these tweets hold any true what Hitch was plan to do with Berglund and Backes just is mind blowing. Makes me really thinking are they seriously planned to put Berglund in center spot and Backes on wing?
Its like fighting all where they both are better.

I can't agree with you more. Brilliant quote

I can't believe he wants to trade for Doug Weight.

i'm still laughing:handclap::yo:

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Eklund said we're inviting Scottie Upshall to camp. And he does know stuff about current and former Flyers. Then JR just confirmed that we've been talking to Upshall so it's probably happening.

If we get the same Paajarvi that we've seen in a Blues uniform, then I'd much prefer having Upshall as an extra forward than him or Caron.

Nothing special but I actually think Upshall and Gomez aren't bad moves.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
Eklund said we're inviting Scottie Upshall to camp. And he does know stuff about current and former Flyers. Then JR just confirmed that we've been talking to Upshall so it's probably happening.

If we get the same Paajarvi that we've seen in a Blues uniform, then I'd much prefer having Upshall as an extra forward than him or Caron.

Nothing special but I actually think Upshall and Gomez aren't bad moves.

yeah I saw that one. Honestly I don't think you could ask for a better 13th forward than Upshall

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
yeah I saw that one. Honestly I don't think you could ask for a better 13th forward than Upshall
True. Would fit much better in the bottom 6 than Paajarvi does and Upshall is just two seasons removed from scoring basically 40 points. I mean unless Magnus Paajarvi has suddenly learned how to use his size to his advantage I do not expect him to do anything on this team.

It's crazy how the market is forcing these guys to take PTOs, but this year they could actually have a legit chance to make it.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
True. Would fit much better in the bottom 6 than Paajarvi does and Upshall is just two seasons removed from scoring basically 40 points. I mean unless Magnus Paajarvi has suddenly learned how to use his size to his advantage I do not expect him to do anything on this team.

It's crazy how the market is forcing these guys to take PTOs, but this year they could actually have a legit chance to make it.

I was just thinking something along these lines yesterday when looking at the crop of free agents who have yet to sign. With these rumors that 2 expansion teams may be on the horizon, the timing might be decent in terms of the current talent pool.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
This is only good for Blues camp, more competition and full 5on5 scrimmages. Hopefully Upshall comes in try-out.

Army :thumbu:

anlongo13

Aug 6, 2014
Ottumwa, IA
Been off the Blues boards for the most part this off-season. Just been annoyed with how this past season ended. But now I've had some brews tonight, and I want to get everyone's take:

What is your opinion on how this upcoming season will play out? I'm fully expecting Hitch to be gone by January, and the Blues lose to the eventual Stanley Cup champs in the second round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad