The 2015-2016 Blues Discussion Thread - Part III

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Didn't he say it was his groin when he was in the broadcast booth?

I remember him just saying it wasn't his old injury and not as serious, meaning no surgery.

Maybe it's not as bad, but I've never had good luck with groin injuries and they typically don't have a good track record, even if they aren't considered serious injuries.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I remember him just saying it wasn't his old injury and not as serious, meaning no surgery.

Maybe it's not as bad, but I've never had good luck with groin injuries and they typically don't have a good track record, even if they aren't considered serious injuries.
Right I've had 2 hernia surgeries.....took a long time to feel normal again. Then again...I don't have the best of the best for physical rehad.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Right I've had 2 hernia surgeries.....took a long time to feel normal again. Then again...I don't have the best of the best for physical rehad.

Physical therapy doesn't change the nature of injuries. ACL's are very severe, but very easy to return to full strength with today's knowledge and procedures. Shoulders on the other hand for pitchers are typically still career altering.

Wrist and groin are 2 of the injuries I never like to hear about with hockey players. Two areas that are critical to the game, but in the body, receive very little support, where as major body parts have a lot more muscle support to build up and help in recovery.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Physical therapy doesn't change the nature of injuries. ACL's are very severe, but very easy to return to full strength with today's knowledge and procedures. Shoulders on the other hand for pitchers are typically still career altering.

Wrist and groin are 2 of the injuries I never like to hear about with hockey players. Two areas that are critical to the game, but in the body, receive very little support, where as major body parts have a lot more muscle support to build up and help in recovery.
I'm just referring to having sports doctors helping you along the way, know what needs to be done and when.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm just referring to having sports doctors helping you along the way, know what needs to be done and when.

Ah, I was lucky to have an orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist that both work for professional sports teams.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
“Everyone has bought in,†said goalie*Jake Allen, who will start tonight. “Everyone is on the same page, everyone is understanding the roles and understanding the game plan. We’re all executing it to the best of our ability and it’s working for us. If we keep doing that this year, we’re going to have good success.â€

Anybody else think there might have been issues last year? Allen is pretty critical of the team, he doesn't hold back punches.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
“Everyone has bought in,†said goalie*Jake Allen, who will start tonight. “Everyone is on the same page, everyone is understanding the roles and understanding the game plan. We’re all executing it to the best of our ability and it’s working for us. If we keep doing that this year, we’re going to have good success.â€

Anybody else think there might have been issues last year? Allen is pretty critical of the team, he doesn't hold back punches.

I want to see how this team responds to some adversity before I draw any differences from last season. I do like the defensemen activating and being scoring threats more. Plays like Bortuzzo getting that rebound ARE reckless. The Blues are also giving up odd-man rushes against more than is comfortable. But I still like the concept that the Blues are the team applying pressure, not just reacting.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I want to see how this team responds to some adversity before I draw any differences from last season. I do like the defensemen activating and being scoring threats more. Plays like Bortuzzo getting that rebound ARE reckless. The Blues are also giving up odd-man rushes against more than is comfortable. But I still like the concept that the Blues are the team applying pressure, not just reacting.
Yea it's a give and take. It also shows they are more confident in the goalies making the save. Sometimes you'll get burned though.

I'm really loving Jbo this year...that man can enter the zone at will. Problem is that he just may not remember what to do with the puck afterwards lol. Hell get to the goal line and think..."Well now what do I do"?

# reckless

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
In 10 years, are we going to be looking back and saying that Elliott is the best goalie in franchise history?

I was actually thinking about that a few days ago. He's gonna end up top 5 possibly top 3 in pretty much every category. It's so silly that a franchise who has had so many hall of fame names play goal for us at one point or another has potentially their best ever goalie be a guy with such a bad reputation

Last edited:

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I was actually thinking about that a few years ago. He's gonna end up top 5 possibly top 3 in pretty much every category. It's so silly that a franchise who has had so many hall of fame names play goal for us at one point or another has potentially their best ever goalie be a guy with such a bad reputation

He's a lock for top 3 in wins and could easily be #1, SP higher than everyone around him for that many wins.

Honestly, it would be hard to argue it.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I'm also going to wait to see how this team responds down the stretch, but I do already see that this team is more of a team than last year. I think the buy-in is at an all-time high, and that's probably why Hitch was brought back this year. I read that Petro, Shattenkirk, Backes, Tarasenko, Schwartz, Stastny, and Steen had really bought in to the system last year, so maybe this year everyone else is feeling it, too.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
In 10 years, are we going to be looking back and saying that Elliott is the best goalie in franchise history?

I really think that Elliott could be the goalie to win us the SC. He's solid and plays better after letting in a goal. He doesn't really make any mistakes, and he has a better glove than people give him credit for. He's like a less-skilled Tarasenko - he's got crazy work-ethic and a really good team-first attitude. We need to give him a chance to show what he can be in the playoffs, and I really hope he makes a case for himself in April. If Elliott hadn't been injured last year, I think he would have been the better goalie than Allen in the second half.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Well after Allen gets trolled by Montreal tonight, I'd think Elliott should be the front runner tonight. Allen has his unbelievable saves but just not consistent enough.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012

Yes we are. And it's a shame he won't get much credit for it. I'm really hoping he's our goalie come playoff time.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Best goalie *while he played for us

Still Hall and Liut. Hall won a Vezina with us and Liut won a Pearson and finished 2nd in the Hart. In today's world, Hall won the Jennings and Liut would've won the Vezina.

Elliott is just a quality goalie in a great situation. He might end up the best statistically, but he's not on the level of the best years that Hall and Liut had here.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Liut's got to be the answer in terms of overall career in St. Louis. I obviously never saw him myself but every goalie guy I know says he was absolutely amazing. His numbers look crappy but that's in part because he played in some absolutely horrendous Blues teams.

I'd have to give Ells consideration for single best season though.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Well the Blues already have come back from a few 1-0 deficits and won. Even in the Minnesota game, they had the Wild on the ropes. And they've had a good road trip without a lot of key players. It's early so I agree with you, we still need to see more, but so far I do think the Blues look a little mentally tougher. Also I'm not sure how much you can read into JR's piece that the Blues are "having fun" because that may just be because they're winning, but I remember last year when Stastny said that it would be like a funeral in the locker room every time the Blues lost a game. I really hope they are getting over that, because that can't be very healthy.

I'm eager to follow this team and see how they keep responding to adversity as well. Because the last couple years, aside from that game against the Capitals last year, they've been pretty bad about it. A win tonight would be another very good step in the right direction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad