GDT: The 2014 NHL Entry Draft | June 27-28, 2014 | 10:00 a.m. ET (NBCSN, TSN, NHL-Network)

jayslightning79

@jayslightning79
Aug 22, 2013
Moncton NB
I was just poking a little fun at the situation.

I know, I just thing the whole thing is blown out of proportions. I'm sure Steve and Al knows what they are getting themselves into

I like the "picks". I'm hoping Cristiano DiGiacinto becomes a pest at the NHL level!

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
18 minutes ago
tsnscottcullen: I don't know all 210 players drafted, not by a long shot, but by stats/profiles, I like the looks of STL, NSH, TB, VAN, LA, CBJ drafts.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/lightning-draft-bios-20140629/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Al Murray on the day 2 draft picks

MASIN
“Good-skating defensive defenseman who makes a good first pass and plays a tight gap against the other team’s players. A real hard guy to play against, makes people pay the price and takes away time and space.’’
MACLEOD
“A right-handed version of Masin. They play a similar game. They always play against the top players on the other team and they make people pay a price. Their skating is good, their passing game is very simple, get the pucks up to the forwards and then follow and do the defensive work and make life miserable for the opponents.’’
POINT
“Hockey sense, skill, vision, shift-after-shift, game-after-game the past two years, you walk away from Moose Jaw games and he’s the best player in the game. He’s not the biggest, he’s not the fastest player in the game, but every time you watched the Moose Jaw Warriors, he’s the best player in the game. We hope that he can continue to get stronger and he can turn that into being at the NHL level.’’
THOMAS
“A good puck-moving, good positional, good passing defenseman. He’s not elite skill, but he’s that next tier below elite and he’s not elite physical, but he doesn’t play a soft game. So he does a little bit of everything, but we are waiting for him to take the next step to say he does enough of everything to be an elite player in some area. But he’s a good all-around defenseman.’’
DIGIACINTO
“One of those players that finds you, you don’t have to go looking for him on the ice. He’s always hitting people, he’s always on the forecheck. His skill level is good, but he scores goals because he goes to those dirty areas around the front of the net and chips them in. If you want to draw a comparable, he’s not Andrew Shaw (Chicago) but he’s a junior version of Shaw.’’
DARCY
“This is not Ondrej Palat, but he is this year’s version of a similar situation to Ondrej Palat. He had a very good season in the Quebec League. He plays with skill, he plays with hockey sense, a good skater and a good compete. Very similar to Ondrej as a player.’’

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
I've got to say our guys are really growing on me. DiGiacinto (doubtful if I will ever write his name right without looking it up :D) was the one pick I really didn't like, however after watching videos and here different opinions from people who have seen him, he actually seems like a really good pick. If he can develop is offensive game, he could build a perfect 4th line with Thompson and Paquette. And he seems like a really fun guy.

What I don't like is that Palats name already gets into talk about Darcy. If somebody really hopes Darcy is the next Palat he will be dissapointed. Palat is a one in a generation story. Darcy looks like a decent pick up (like Ikonen last year) and could be valueable to the team at some point, but comparing him to Palat is just not fair. It adds expectations he will not fill.

Obviously I love the Point pick (as a Point lover) and think (read hope) we have one of the biggest steals in the draft here. At least he has the talent to be that steal, he just needs to use it.

Thomas was a good value pick, however I might have prefered a more risk/reward pick there, but we will see, maybe he is just that and was only overshadowed by Sanheim (wouldn't be the first time in history).

I am not sure Masin and MacLeod were the best defensemen available, but I like them and it's a crap shot which of all those defensive Dmen is the one that will develop best anyway. So having two chances is better than having one I guess. That said I would have really liked to get Pettersson.

DeAngelo is the true risk/reward pick and I like it by now as well. Might be the best way to come away with an impact player in a draft that lacks upside, but will IMO produce quit many good role players.

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
I've got to say our guys are really growing on me. DiGiacinto (doubtful if I will ever write his name right without looking it up :D) was the one pick I really didn't like, however after watching videos and here different opinions from people who have seen him, he actually seems like a really good pick. If he can develop is offensive game, he could build a perfect 4th line with Thompson and Paquette. And he seems like a really fun guy.

What I don't like is that Palats name already gets into talk about Darcy. If somebody really hopes Darcy is the next Palat he will be dissapointed. Palat is a one in a generation story. Darcy looks like a decent pick up (like Ikonen last year) and could be valueable to the team at some point, but comparing him to Palat is just not fair. It adds expectations he will not fill.

Obviously I love the Point pick (as a Point lover) and think (read hope) we have one of the biggest steals in the draft here. At least he has the talent to be that steal, he just needs to use it.

Thomas was a good value pick, however I might have prefered a more risk/reward pick there, but we will see, maybe he is just that and was only overshadowed by Sanheim (wouldn't be the first time in history).

I am not sure Masin and MacLeod were the best defensemen available, but I like them and it's a crap shot which of all those defensive Dmen is the one that will develop best anyway. So having two chances is better than having one I guess. That said I would have really liked to get Pettersson.

DeAngelo is the true risk/reward pick and I like it by now as well. Might be the best way to come away with an impact player in a draft that lacks upside, but will IMO produce quit many good role players.

Agreed on all points except DeAngelo. I don't like him and I can't help it.

Really wish we found a way to pick up McKeown but I guess Murray didn't like him.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Agreed on all points except DeAngelo. I don't like him and I can't help it.

Really wish we found a way to pick up McKeown but I guess Murray didn't like him.

Murray's comments on DeAngelo made me love the pick. I guess Murray would gush about any pick after it's been made, but there seems to be a little something extra in this one, almost like he's proud of the fact we got this kid at 19. I feel like he's more proud of this pick, as a scout, than he was of Drouin. Maybe that's just me reading too much into his statements though.

There are obviously red flags here, which is the only reason why we were able to get him. But I like that neither Yzerman nor DeAngelo himself downplayed the issue. No excuses. The kid's owning it. Yzerman spoke in the present tense, i.e. "He needs to change." But he and Murray apparently put a ton of time into this pick (Murray said something along the lines of putting more time into DeAngelo than any prospect in his career), and for them to come out as confident as they seem to be, Murray in particularly, then for me, knowing Murray's track record, it's hard not to be optimistic.

I had a lot of fun following Drouin's year in Halifax. I feel like next year will be the same thing for DeAngelo in Sarnia. If he gets through the year problem-free, he's going to rocket up our prospect list.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Murray's comments on DeAngelo made me love the pick. I guess Murray would gush about any pick after it's been made, but there seems to be a little something extra in this one, almost like he's proud of the fact we got this kid at 19. I feel like he's more proud of this pick, as a scout, than he was of Drouin. Maybe that's just me reading too much into his statements though.

There are obviously red flags here, which is the only reason why we were able to get him. But I like that neither Yzerman nor DeAngelo himself downplayed the issue. No excuses. The kid's owning it. Yzerman spoke in the present tense, i.e. "He needs to change." But he and Murray apparently put a ton of time into this pick (Murray said something along the lines of putting more time into DeAngelo than any prospect in his career), and for them to come out as confident as they seem to be, Murray in particularly, then for me, knowing Murray's track record, it's hard not to be optimistic.

I had a lot of fun following Drouin's year in Halifax. I feel like next year will be the same thing for DeAngelo in Sarnia. If he gets through the year problem-free, he's going to rocket up our prospect list.

Exactly this. I think far too much stock is being put into this kid as a 17 year old. If you can show me one person on the planet that doesn't regret things they did or said as a 16 or 17 year old, I'll show you a liar. To hate the pick because he made a poor decision before he was able to vote is to bet against the maturation that happens to every person. He will change and mature over the next few years and by the time he is 20 or 21 years old he will be one of the greats from this draft.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
hes italian philly jersey boy. So yes he grew up around MEN like that im sure some of you have met a couple? Might even have a relative somehow somewhere lol.

So anyway he found out he cant talk like he does at the dinner table.

Is kinda simple. Spells it out for me:)

Upside is johnny gaudreau's dad says he has more talent than his son. Hes been around the kid since he was four years old. If I have ever heard one endorsement I am buying is that one. Kinda makes me not want to wait in anticipation what this guy becomes lmao.

Also without the slur racial or gayanese whatever without that this kid is top ten pick.

Teams like us anaheim redwings san jose all wanted him most of these teams have a lot of talented blue liners youngsters. Every one of those have stated if he fell to them you steal this guy.

So is not just murray in this one. I think we got a superstar that sure he will rub a few people the wrong way but what is wrong with being a goodfellow?

I have been asked if I am connected lol. So I must sound like a new yorker or east coast guy or a wiseguy or look like one? It happens a lot honestly lol. The answer is no but know a bunch get along with them. Or you can sit in glass houses and throw stones.

Pretty boring world if everyone was the same:) People are people if gays got to have rights and be treated a way a guy that might have mafia ties should get the same benefit of the doubt sposed to be sarcasm here

Just saying. Deangelo I thought meant something of the angels myself:)

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
hes italian philly jersey boy. So yes he grew up around MEN like that im sure some of you have met a couple? Might even have a relative somehow somewhere lol.

So anyway he found out he cant talk like he does at the dinner table.

Is kinda simple. Spells it out for me:)

Let's not stereotype him or use it as an excuse. I also come from an Italian family in New Jersey and I was never raised to think I could talk bad language to anyone. But even if he did pick it up from his parents, he should know by now what's acceptable to say and what isn't.

Hopefully this issue has been more of him still being a young kid who had pent up frustration on a terrible Sarnia team and he lost control. Or at least I hope it is, but either way good on him owning up to his mistakes and trying to learn from it and become a better person. I think he is sincerely sorry, and I'll trust Yzerman and Murray on their judge of character. For DeAngelo it's hard to shake that label once everyone has put that tag on you. He has a reputation so this season is definitely important to see if this behavior continues or is just a thing of his past.

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Let's not stereotype him or use it as an excuse. I also come from an Italian family in New Jersey and I was never raised to think I could talk bad language to anyone.

Hopefully this issue has been more of him still being a young kid who had pent up frustration on a terrible Sarnia team and he lost control. Or at least I hope it is, but either way good on him owning up to his mistakes and trying to learn from it and become a better person. I think he is sincerely sorry, and I'll trust Yzerman and Murray on their judge of character. For DeAngelo it's hard to shake that label once everyone has put that tag on you, so this season is definitely important to see if this behavior continues or is just a thing of his past.

I emm meant to add sarcasm at end haha. Is just people are too touchy. I play poker and as a kid played sports and talked a lot in games at times. I have used language to me is part of game its changing but is a whatever.

Not that am condoning it but doesnt bother me. I talk smack grew up doing it and understand it happens in games obviously the world is changing. Things like what clippers owner did is not acceptable or what happened on miami football etc.. Think is ok to clean it up but if they do it should be for everyone at any time not to handle two different sayings or words etc.. Just saying. I put this in two categories myself and that is unfair to the rest of the slurs that are allowed.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I emm meant to add sarcasm at end haha. Is just people are too touchy. I play poker and as a kid played sports and talked a lot in games at times. I have used language to me is part of game its changing but is a whatever.

Not that am condoning it but doesnt bother me. I talk smack grew up doing it and understand it happens in games obviously the world is changing. Things like what clippers owner did is not acceptable or what happened on miami football etc.. Think is ok to clean it up but if they do it should be for everyone at any time not to handle two different sayings or words etc.. Just saying. I put this in two categories myself and that is unfair to the rest of the slurs that are allowed.
I've played on enough hockey teams to know what goes on in locker rooms and the things that are said. I'm no angel myself, but it is believed what DeAngelo did crossed the line between teenage boy locker room banter to being a serious issue for the whole Sarnia Sting organization.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sarnia...-for-slur-directed-at-teammate-232527684.html
The team is tightlipped about what was said and to whom, but it was bad enough for Letowski to take action without waiting for the league to intervene.

“Internally as an organization we made the decision,” said Letowski, a former NHLer and graduate of the Sting. “It was obviously a serious matter. Any time it involves one of our players there has to be a certain respect level. We respect all of our players and it was pretty serious.

“We handled it internally for the first day and then we felt it was important that the league became involved … we completely support the league’s decision.”
Often far from home, the team becomes a second family. What happened in Sarnia sounds like more than the run-of-the-mill fight between brothers. During their investigation, the OHL found DeAngelo “did in fact make a most inappropriate statement to a teammate.”

One has to wonder how DeAngelo’s teammate, his victim, feels about all of this?

“I’ve spoken to him a lot and he’s going to be OK,” said Letowski, prior to Sarnia’s Friday night game against the Knights in London. “I think the penalty was pretty stiff. It was just something that was a heat of the moment thing that kind of got out of control a little bit.
“Anthony made a mistake and he got caught up in the moment,” said Letowski. “It’s something I’m sure he wishes he could take back, but it’s one of these unique moments. The league ruled on it and we fully support it. It’s eight games and he has to pay the penalty.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=706538
"I made a mistake in what I did and know I was wrong for the comment I made," DeAngelo told NHL.com. "I was deserving of disciplinary actions. It was my fault so I served it and am just ready to play again."
"The most important thing I learned out of this is that I didn't just hurt myself for being suspended, but I hurt a teammate and the organization," DeAngelo said. "I've realized that letting my emotions get to me isn't the best thing for me or the team. I'm a very passionate person and player, and I learned that I need to control that into more positive instead of letting it be negative like it was in that situation. I let the frustration get the best of me and realize it was wrong."

Last edited:

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
I've played on enough hockey teams to know what goes on in locker rooms and the things that are said. I'm no angel myself, but it is believed what DeAngelo did crossed the line between teenage boy locker room banter to being a serious issue for the whole Sarnia Sting organization.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sarnia...-for-slur-directed-at-teammate-232527684.html

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=706538

I will say this sounds to me like gay chatter or a threat to do bodily injury or worse. You can call someone names but if you play the gay card in todays world and someone takes offense?

Yet maybe he threatened the kids life? When I was his age I said wrong words on that too. Not meaning it even got written up professionally once for saying words not allowed lol.

Maybe someday they let it out what was said the context etc.. He is a young guy full of passion and fire. I am not that worried about it myself. If they have a gay player and he played that card can see it going to this length. If he threatened his life? See it also.

I did same things even in work at his age. That is why think is a little blown out of proportion myself. Yet we do have cases of maybe mr hernandez of patriots so some people say things and mean them maybe? Just saying is a different world but also shouldnt say certain things now. Even when you don't mean them and would never act on them. Not saying the patriots guy is guilty that remains to be seen. Just saying you cannot threaten you cannot call someone a derogatory remark of certain types especially if they are in todays society.

Even in a moment of anger you cant do that anymore. It needs to be protected just some people have a little fire and will say things before thinking I am generally one of them.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
It's possible to think this is a good pick without making excuses for the kid. In fact, I think it's really important not to make excuses for him. What he did was obviously very serious and we should acknowledge that. We're talking about a team suspending its best player without being under pressure to do so. It was also serious enough that Yzerman/Murray looked really long and hard at the kid before selecting him. We shouldn't shrug this off like "boys will be boys."

This is still a great pick. But it's not like DeAngelo just happened to get caught doing something all kids do. It was clearly a lot worse than that. I'm hoping Stacey Roest and company don't shrug it off.

It's possible to support the kid while still holding him accountable.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
It's possible to think this is a good pick without making excuses for the kid. In fact, I think it's really important not to make excuses for him. What he did was obviously very serious and we should acknowledge that. We're talking about a team suspending its best player without being under pressure to do so. It was also serious enough that Yzerman/Murray looked really long and hard at the kid before selecting him. We shouldn't shrug this off like "boys will be boys."

This is still a great pick. But it's not like DeAngelo just happened to get caught doing something all kids do. It was clearly a lot worse than that. I'm hoping Stacey Roest and company don't shrug it off.

It's possible to support the kid while still holding him accountable.

stevie holds everyone responsible that is why not worried. I also think is probably generally a good kid who says things that he shouldnt and probably doesnt mean them and does feel sorry listened to a bit sounds like he hasnt put behind him and he didnt shug this off he said hey I screwed up I own it now im moving forward learned and gonna be a better person team mate etc..

So ya I figure the kid gets it if not he will get talked to im sure. I am always ok with guys that have a little heat though. Is how when you choose to use it and some things you just cannot do.

He def found one of them:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad