GDT: The 2014 NHL Entry Draft | June 27-28, 2014 | 10:00 a.m. ET (NBCSN, TSN, NHL-Network)

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
At this point I rather draft Kase and try to sign Tkachev.
IIRC, he would be elegible to sign as he has been passed twice already

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
we traded again. Have picked Cameron Darcy. I am okay with that pick. Is a 3rd year elibile with decent size and had some good numbers.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
So we had 3 2015 7th rounders prior to today and now we have just one. Whats the point in trading 2 7th rounders to move up 15 spot in the 7th round ?!? And then don't draft Tkachev.

I guess we just have to belief into the Yzerplan as always and somebody out of the new Lightning guys will be a steal. That said my money is on Point.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Damn Kadeykin would have also been an amazing pick.
And here goes Kase to Anaheim.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
That's all. Here's our draft

Round | Overall | Player | Pos | Country | Ht | Wt | Amateur League | Amateur Team

1 | 19| ANTHONY DEANGELO |D |USA |5' 10" |175 |OHL |SARNIA
2 | 35| DOMINIK MASIN |D |CZE |6' 2" |189 |CZREP-JR. |SLAVIA JR.
2 | 57| JOHNATHAN MACLEOD |D |USA |6' 1" |200 |USHL |USA U-18
3 | 79| BRAYDEN POINT |C |CAN |5' 9" |160 |WHL |MOOSE JAW
4 | 119| BEN THOMAS |D |CAN |6' 1" |190 |WHL |CALGARY
6 | 170| CRISTIANO DIGIACINTO |LW |CAN |5' 10" |186 |OHL |WINDSOR
7 | 185 | CAMERON DARCY |C |USA |6' 0" |192 |QMJHL |CAPE BRETON

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Some great picks at the end for LA with Watson and Middleton.
Here is to hope we get Bayreuther and Tkachev or at least one of them to training camp.

Overall I am pretty happy with our picks, except for that DiGiacinto kid. I don't see how he has NHL potential at all.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
https://twitter.com/TBTimes_JSmith
#tblightning Yzerman said they were really happy with draft. Didn't focus on D-men but liked the diverse group they got.
#TBLightning Murray said they didn't go in with focus on adding defensemen, but just happened where d-men they liked fell to them
Murray said there was more support players - 3rd and 4th liners, 5th-6th d-men - in draft and those were the type of guys they added
#TBLightning Murray said all the players they drafted this weekend will be at development camp next week in Brandon July 2-6

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
That's all. Here's our draft

Round | Overall | Player | Pos | Country | Ht | Wt | Amateur League | Amateur Team

1 | 19| ANTHONY DEANGELO |D |USA |5' 10" |175 |OHL |SARNIA
2 | 35| DOMINIK MASIN |D |CZE |6' 2" |189 |CZREP-JR. |SLAVIA JR.
2 | 57| JOHNATHAN MACLEOD |D |USA |6' 1" |200 |USHL |USA U-18
3 | 79| BRAYDEN POINT |C |CAN |5' 9" |160 |WHL |MOOSE JAW
4 | 119| BEN THOMAS |D |CAN |6' 1" |190 |WHL |CALGARY
6 | 170| CRISTIANO DIGIACINTO |LW |CAN |5' 10" |186 |OHL |WINDSOR
7 | 185 | CAMERON DARCY |C |USA |6' 0" |192 |QMJHL |CAPE BRETON
4/7 picks were defensemen. Good!

Necropolis

Jan 18, 2013
Overall it was a good draft. I still don't like the DeAngelo pick but what some people here said is true - he's only 18, he's attitude etc. will get better. He probably was the guy with the highest upside available @ 19 anyway. I loved the Masin pick, I'll certainly follow him closer next season. MacLeod and Thomas both are interesting prospects, especially MacLeod. Point looks like he has very nice upside. Digiacinto doesn't have a huge upside apparently but could end up being a solid fourth liner. Don't know anything about Darcy, though but after a quick look at his stats, could be a solid pick.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/breaking-down-lightning-draft/2186401
"Just like last year where it was forward after forward, this year defensemen after defensemen that we liked fell to us," Murray said. "We took in every case a guy we felt was the best NHL prospect and it certainly helped balance out the reserve list."
Masin & MacLeod
The two don't have the flash or offensive skills as DeAngelo, more defensive-minded, positionally-strong defensemen who can are smart and hard to play against, Murray said. Both Mashin and McLeod, a Boston University commitment, were captains of their Under-17 teams.
Darcy
The Lightning hit the jackpot in the seventh round in 2011 when it selected LW Ondrej Palat, who developed into the team's leading scorer and Calder Trophy finalist last season. Tampa Bay's seventh-rounder Saturday C Cameron Darcy, 20, has evoked comparisons to Palat.

"Before everyone gets excited, he's not yet Ondrej Palat," Murray quipped. "But two years ago, Ondrej Palat wasn't Ondrej Palat."

Darcy went from the U.S. National Development Program to play briefly at Northeastern before having a terrific season at Cape Breton in the QMJHL, tallying 82 points (35 goals) in 65 games. Murray said teams were lining up to invite Darcy to their camps as a free agent, so they made sure to trade up 17 spots to snag him at No. 185, giving the Islanders their seventh-round pick (No. 200) and seventh in 2015. "Very similar reason we took Ondrej Palat," Murray said.
Point
He was the assistant captain for Team Canada at the Under-18 World Championship, leading them to a bronze.

"He's not the biggest player in the game, not the fastest player in the game," Murray said. "But game after game, everytime you watch Moose Jaw, he's the best player in the game."
Digiacinto
Digiacinto, who admires Bruins Brad Marchand, brings that type of gritty, physical style, enjoying scoring "greasy" goals and getting under opponent's skin. He's also not afraid to drop the gloves, getting in 11 fights for the Windsor Spitfires (OHL), drawing one suspension for chasing an opponent down.

"I'm a fearless player," Digiacinto said. "So if anyone wants to step up, I'm not afraid."

Said Murray: "You don't have to go looking for Cristiano, he finds you. The puck drops and the guy who is smacking into everybody all over the ice absolutely draws your attention, and that's Cristiano."

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
D'Angelo is probably the only "top" level prospect in this group, with a lot of depth guys who may turn into solid NHLers. Considering the strength of this draft, I'm fine with that.

I really want a Koekkoek-Masin pairing. I can just imagine my girlfriend looking confused as I shout "COOCOO MACHINE!!!!" every time they step onto the ice.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
D'Angelo is probably the only "top" level prospect in this group, with a lot of depth guys who may turn into solid NHLers. Considering the strength of this draft, I'm fine with that.

I really want a Koekkoek-Masin pairing. I can just imagine my girlfriend looking confused as I shout "COOCOO MACHINE!!!!" every time they step onto the ice.

I feel like this is the type of draft where scouts earn their money though. Last year was flashier with Drouin in the 1st, and then Erne falling into our laps. But if we get solid NHL talent out of this year's draft, it'll be because Al Murray is the frikkin man.

I like his reasoning for a lot of our picks. He sold Cristiano on me with a couple of quotes.

DeAngelo is a big-time x-factor. I'm starting to notice that Yzerman doesn't like to play it safe with his early picks. He likes to try to turn top 60 picks into top 10 picks by swinging for the fences. This was the best example of that, but in the past he's ignored injuries and the Russian factor. Like a boss.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad