The 2014-2015 Blues Discussion Thread - Part II

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
So Clime us still in camp and I like the strategy Army is using here. Both our prospect goalies are going to see more reps in the Wolves camps, without Clime in their way.

Agreed. I was just surprised to hear them explain the reasoning so boldy. I wonder what Climie thinks about that. I guess he has to be enjoying being in an NHL camp, but he's basically just a guy to facilitate practices and stay out of the way of the real prospects in the AHL. Kind of a weird spot to be in.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
Looking forward to next year, what do you think the chances are the bottom pair is Cole Lindbohm, with jax as the 7th with a heavy hometown discount?

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
So, i have been wondering for a while now, with all the signings and trades the FO has been making, when do you suppose the money runs out and we go back to becoming a budget team? I just feel like it's bound to happen and then we have to sell off all of our assets. maybe im just jaded. :cry:

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
So, i have been wondering for a while now, with all the signings and trades the FO has been making, when do you suppose the money runs out and we go back to becoming a budget team? I just feel like it's bound to happen and then we have to sell off all of our assets. maybe im just jaded. :cry:

Its hard to put that genie back in the bottle. If attendance is good and support in the city (and national stature) continues to rise, I think this is sustainable with the current ownership. But we don't really know. I think a SCF appearance would have a giant impact on the answer to your question, either way.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
With the amounts costs that the ownership group has cut in non-hockey related areas, they should be fine. Zimmerman coming in will take the revenue to the next level and we should be more than fine. I won't go into too much detail because I can't, but I know that the non-hockey side has been pretty much gutted, and a lot of extra costs that teams usually provide for fans have been cut, and that's what has allowed them to spend more on the on-ice product.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA

Ideally it should become a self-sustaining system. More money in --> more on ice success --> deeper playoff runs -->more revenue -->repeat cycle.

Whether the Blues can actually put together some deep playoff runs over the next few years is what could make or break our spending level.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008

It depends on how quickly the salary cap continues to rise.

Ownership has done what they can to pour as much money into the on - ice product, but I still feel the system used to calculate the cap is inherently broken. Certain large market teams like the Rangers, Leafs, and Canadiens inflate the cap faster than some teams can keep up. At some point, the St. Louis market won't be able to keep up with the rising cap. Playoff success will push that date back, but I truly feel the market can't support a hockey team with a $100 million payroll.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
When do the Blues get the rights to the concession stands back again?

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express
When do the Blues get the rights to the concession stands back again?

If I'm not mistaken, when Checketts bought them team he signed a 20 year lease with the concession provider. For some serious upfront cash that I'm sure he personally pocketed. Dude was an absolute sleaze ball. It's one of the many reasons why the Blues were sold for so cheap. I think the final sale price was around ~125 million. Thats the cheapest a pro franchise has been sold for in years. It also includes the Scott and Peabody. The real estate alone has to be worth 100 million, so they basically got the team for free:amazed:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, when Checketts bought them team he signed a 20 year lease with the concession provider. For some serious upfront cash that I'm sure he personally pocketed. Dude was an absolute sleaze ball. It's one of the many reasons why the Blues were sold for so cheap. I think the final sale price was around ~125 million. Thats the cheapest a pro franchise has been sold for in years. It also includes the Scott and Peabody. The real estate alone has to be worth 100 million, so they basically got the team for free:amazed:

Yeah, a 20 year contract, which runs until 2028. As you say, it was heavily front loaded as well, so the current ownership group receives very little money in that area.

Checketts may have been a sleaze ball, but I blame this on the NHL. If you want to have the final say on who buys teams, then you have to accept the responsibility of making sure they are appropriate buyers. Letting someone go into a smaller market team, make a deal that is clearly not in the best long term interests of that franchise to make a quick buck shouldn't be allowed to happen.

OSA

Jun 11, 2011
Yeah, a 20 year contract, which runs until 2028. As you say, it was heavily front loaded as well, so the current ownership group receives very little money in that area.

Checketts may have been a sleaze ball, but I blame this on the NHL. If you want to have the final say on who buys teams, then you have to accept the responsibility of making sure they are appropriate buyers. Letting someone go into a smaller market team, make a deal that is clearly not in the best long term interests of that franchise to make a quick buck shouldn't be allowed to happen.

That deal is terrible for the Blues. Fans should boycott the company that runs the concessions and stuff themselves before they go to the game :yo:

Maybe they'll be inclined to sell the rights back to Stillman an Co. :)

Chojin

Tiny Panger...
Apr 6, 2011
Looking forward to next year, what do you think the chances are the bottom pair is Cole Lindbohm, with jax as the 7th with a heavy hometown discount?

Come on, guy. Jackman would be in the top 4 of half of the teams in the league. He'll be on our third pairing at the very least.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
That deal is terrible for the Blues. Fans should boycott the company that runs the concessions and stuff themselves before they go to the game :yo:

Maybe they'll be inclined to sell the rights back to Stillman an Co. :)

I'm pretty sure it's the city.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Sheesh, I may have to gladly eat some crow if Fabbri keeps this up. I didn't think he had much of a chance to make the team, mostly because I didn't think the Blues would risk losing Mueller or MPS to waivers to accommodate him. But I now think he has a legitimate shot to make the club. Mueller may find himself on the Wolves. I still don't think Fabbri makes it, but perhaps he gets the 9 games before going back to Guelph.

WeWantTacos

they said aw-reety an' they was aw-righty
Apr 6, 2012
Brett Hallway
Oshie on SI cover... is there a Norman Rockwell filter on photoshop that I don't know about?

wainwright_oshie_si_cover_.jpg

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
oh boy - Eklund being Eklund: http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklu...LUS-Icegirls-back-in-Philly--Opinions/1/62680

"On the Leafs...

Talked to a source just now who confirmed that the St. Louis Blues and Toronto Maple Leafs have had trade discussions in the last few days regarding "a deal that would see the team swapping top six forwards and a prospect."

The source told me the Blues are looking for "added speed and scoring touch" and the Leafs have been talking to few teams now regarding toughness and some playmaking ability."

Just for giggles, because it's fun to speculate, who on earth could we be looking at trading and who could we want back? I can't even think of a trade that makes any sense whatsoever. Toronto has maybe 5 players that could add some value: Bozak, Kessel, Lupul, Kadri, JVR. I don't see us trading for any of those players. I would only be interested in Kessel and JVR, and that's not happening.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Kadri/Berglund

Yeah, was just going to say that. That's the only trade that makes any sense at all. We would be the team adding a prospect. Berglund + for Kadri. Backes moves to the wing, Kadri is 3rd line center. That's the only rationale that would make sense. Clear cap space, get a young centerman. While we know this won't happen, who is the best prospect you would give up in this trade? Berglund + Rattie? Too much.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I could see Berglund as being the forward on the way out. I really doubt the front office is terribly motivated about this, but if they can get a good deal....OK.

I know Kadri comes up in trade talks for the Leafs a lot. I don't see him being a good fit in St Louis. How quickly could he become competent at Hitchcock's system? There is the danger of having too many new players (Lehtera, Lindstrom, now Kadri or whoever) that you start to lose the offensive identity and have to re-learn the system.

I think Eklund is just spitballing. Maybe if anything this is laying the groundwork for a later in the season move.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
As of now, I want to keep Berglund, see how he does with top end linemates on the wing

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
I think if we were making a move for an important player(top 6 forward) that it would've happened already. Hitch would want him in camp and preseason games to grow accustomed to the system. It just doesn't make much sense to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad