Prospect Info: The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Exactly. There's still no guarantee that Elliott or Siemens will ever be good enough to play a Top 4 role for us. Barrie is already there IMO.

It would be a mistake to move him now without knowing what we have in Elliott and Siemens. For now we should keep all of them, and if they all do develop the way we hope, then we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

Have you watched Elliott over the last few weeks? He's playing great. For me, I have no problem with his game right now. Top 4? No, not yet, but he's well on his way. I think he's got a great shot at a full time spot for next year at this rate....even if we draft Jones.

I doubt Barrie and/or Elliott have a lot of trade value. Neither one has proven anything yet.

They're both young, cheap, and under team control for another 5 years. No need to trade them.

Disagree 100%. Both guys have been on the radar as great prospects for the last 2+ years...both being considered great value picks from the very time they were drafted. They've had high value since the draft, if you ask me.

And that value has only increased now that they're proving they can play at the NHL level. Are they lighting it up? No, but both are still very young and hardly into their pro careers. Other teams would absolutely covet this type of asset.

If we don't value it, I would really question Sherman and his staff. I would think Pracey is smart enough to not let us trade either, even if we draft Jones.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Put me on the list that thinks the Avs would value a guy like MacKinnon more than a guy like Drouin. And I'm fine with that. Like his game and he's more NHL-ready than Drouin and would be ready to step into our top 6 next season.

Pistache

Mar 25, 2009
Everyone is assuming we will finish 29th in the league....look.how bad Carolina is playing...and Tampa is not that far......we might finish 28th or even 27th.....so we will end up with Drouin and the debat is useless.....then we draft a good defenman at 33th and we trade Stastny for ....Saal?......we need LW and defenmen anyway...not another C...

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
1. Jones

2. My heart wants Drouin, since he's the BPA of the natural position of LW, which we SORELY lack. We got McCleod playing LW with O'Reilly and Landeskog

BUT

my brain says Mackinnon will be a great player. He could be like Nicklas Backstrom where he puts up great numbers but will be sort of under the radar where Drouin is like Ovie in this paradigm. One's more entertaining (Drouin) while the other is more safe (Mack).

after that, I hope the avs land one of:

Lazar, Petan, Jordan Subban (i feel he has great drive to excel like his brothers, its always good to have kids who have relatives in sports to inspire progress in their own play), and Chris Bigras

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Have you watched Elliott over the last few weeks? He's playing great. For me, I have no problem with his game right now. Top 4? No, not yet, but he's well on his way. I think he's got a great shot at a full time spot for next year at this rate....even if we draft Jones.

Agreed, even if we won the lottery and got Jones (unlikely), I would like to keep Elliott up. He and Barrie are finally looking more comfortable defensively despite the odd error, but they really change the complexion of the defense. With EJ, Jones, Hejda, Wilson in the lineup, or possible an addition from a Stastny trade, I would still like to have both of them on the roster to move the puck.

Put me on the list that thinks the Avs would value a guy like MacKinnon more than a guy like Drouin. And I'm fine with that. Like his game and he's more NHL-ready than Drouin and would be ready to step into our top 6 next season.

Agreed, I'm absolutely on board with Mackinnon over Drouin.

ScotAv

Jul 28, 2011
Glasgow
I think the hype about Drouin has made everyone forget about how MacKinnon was billed as Crosby Mk. II.

Whilst I agree, this team needs Jones arguably more than it needs Mac or Drouin, I would be happy with either. But I'd be happier with Mac. I just think he becomes a Couturier type (I don't mean play style). Falls for no particular reason other than he's continuing to dominate at the same level rather than raising it slightly. Drouin has had a fantastic season, but whether he can play his game effectively in the NHL to the same level, I dunno. MacKinnon makes stastny instantly expendable. Bring in some established D help.

That's potentially the other issue going for Jones tbh. If you move Stastny after drafting jones, are you still looking for D? With all those contracts on the back end plus Elliott, Barrie, Siemens and now Jones? I assume you have to switch to forward help and I don't know what Stastny gets us up top.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
1. Jones

2. My heart wants Drouin, since he's the BPA of the natural position of LW, which we SORELY lack. We got McCleod playing LW with O'Reilly and Landeskog

BUT

my brain says Mackinnon will be a great player. He could be like Nicklas Backstrom where he puts up great numbers but will be sort of under the radar where Drouin is like Ovie in this paradigm. One's more entertaining (Drouin) while the other is more safe (Mack).

Agreed if we can't get Jones, Drouin is tempting because of addressing our needs. In fact, I think they might have to go with Drouin over Mac... one of the few teams that this would apply to. If we do take Mac though Stastny DEFINITELY needs to go.

I disagree though, nothing about MacKinnon will be under the radar at all. Drouin does have a flashier and superior offensive skill set, MacKinnon is a safer pick, but nothing about Mac is low-key. He will be noticed nearly every time he's on the ice.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I think the hype about Drouin has made everyone forget about how MacKinnon was billed as Crosby Mk. II.

Whilst I agree, this team needs Jones arguably more than it needs Mac or Drouin, I would be happy with either. But I'd be happier with Mac. I just think he becomes a Couturier type (I don't mean play style). Falls for no particular reason other than he's continuing to dominate at the same level rather than raising it slightly. Drouin has had a fantastic season, but whether he can play his game effectively in the NHL to the same level, I dunno. MacKinnon makes stastny instantly expendable. Bring in some established D help.

That's potentially the other issue going for Jones tbh. If you move Stastny after drafting jones, are you still looking for D? With all those contracts on the back end plus Elliott, Barrie, Siemens and now Jones? I assume you have to switch to forward help and I don't know what Stastny gets us up top.

That has more to do with where he's from than with his skill level and playing style. But don't get me wrong this is no slight against Mac.

Last edited:

ScotAv

Jul 28, 2011
Glasgow
That has more to do with where he's from than with his skill level and playing style. But don't get me wrong this is no slight against Mac.

Yeah I realise that. I was just meaning that he was the consensus #1 pick before this year. He hasn't really done anything to warrant falling to potentially #3. He has continued his excellent play from previous years. He could be one of those, "how did he fall so far" picks in a few years, even if taken at like #3.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Yeah I realise that. I was just meaning that he was the consensus #1 pick before this year. He hasn't really done anything to warrant falling to potentially #3. He has continued his excellent play from previous years. He could be one of those, "how did he fall so far" picks in a few years, even if taken at like #3.

It happens, Jones has been apsolutely briliant this season and Drouin is outproducing Mac while playing on the same line, now I believe that Mac's game will translate better in the NHL, but I really didn't have a lot of chances to see the QMJHL.

Last edited:

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country
It happens, Jones has been apsolutely briliant this season and Drouin is outproducing Mac while playing on the same line, now I believe that Mac's game will translate better in the NHL, but I really didn't have a lot of chances to see the QMJHL.

I've noticed that Drouin is a very chippy player. I mean, if he keeps this up, he'll get demolished in the NHL due to his small stature. I mean, every single shift he slashes someone behind the leg after the whistle or something like that. The first shift I saw him I called him Brad Marchand and my friend ridiculed me. After the game, my friend said ya, looks like a better skilled version of Marchand...

That said, Drouin reminds me a lot of Pat Kane. Great hands, great speed. Don't know if he'll be at his level, but still. Also want to add that I HIGHLY doubt he'll play in the NHL next year. The guy is sooo small. He's a good inch or two shorter than Mac (even if the stats say dif) and a good 10-15 pounds less (again, not looking at the stats) Unless that is he has a very efficient off season.

Mackinnon on the other hand is much stronger on his feet, great acceleration and puck control, and can dish out some insane passes. And yah, his shot, it's very good. I see him play wing or center depending the team he plays for.

I think it will come down between these two. Unless FLA feels better drafting one of them.

What I fear most is that we trade for number one. I really don't want to give up anyone (well, there's the crew of Zannon, Hunny, SOB that could go...) for Jones. I think any of the top 3s will be equally dominant in the NHL. Jones is simply more NHL ready now IMO.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
I really don't understand why people can't appreciate Drouin's hockey IQ. If he turns put to be a league MVP, I will definitely not live it down. But, it's good to see how deep this draft is. I just hope we get a top 3 pick. Been watching other players too. Max Domi intrigues me a lot. Lot of skill. But, small. However, his dad was small too and he was as tough as they came. I wouldn't bet against Max not succeeding.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
I really don't understand why people can't appreciate Drouin's hockey IQ. If he turns put to be a league MVP, I will definitely not live it down. But, it's good to see how deep this draft is. I just hope we get a top 3 pick. Been watching other players too. Max Domi intrigues me a lot. Lot of skill. But, small. However, his dad was small too and he was as tough as they came. I wouldn't bet against Max not succeeding.

I don't see anyone questioning his hockey IQ.

As for Max Domi, from what I've heard he's nothing like Tie.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'd love to see Drouin and Staz working together. Even if their third winger was Jones, they'd set him up for all of the goals.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site
I don't see anyone questioning his hockey IQ.

As for Max Domi, from what I've heard he's nothing like Tie.

But, some folks don't appreciate it as much as I do. Or, perhaps, IQ is undervalued. Regardless, only player that has blown me away at this point.

Can you elaborate on what you've heard about Max? He seems like a scrappy player with a lot of skill. Something like a better version of Hishon. I certainly don't expect Max to be a fighter. But, I don't eect him to be soft either. Maybe he is?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Max Domi is a really good player, way more talented than Tie and still has some of his pest like qualities. Domi is a great stick handler, skater, and has high IQ. But there are some concerns about his game being able to translate to the pro.

And who said Drouin's IQ is lacking? That is absolutely false.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Max Domi is a really good player, way more talented than Tie and still has some of his pest like qualities. Domi is a great stick handler, skater, and has high IQ. But there are some concerns about his game being able to translate to the pro.

Sounds like Landon Ferraro 2.0.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
But, some folks don't appreciate it as much as I do. Or, perhaps, IQ is undervalued. Regardless, only player that has blown me away at this point.

Can you elaborate on what you've heard about Max? He seems like a scrappy player with a lot of skill. Something like a better version of Hishon. I certainly don't expect Max to be a fighter. But, I don't eect him to be soft either. Maybe he is?

I heard that he's strong on his skates, but that he doesn't engage physically, he plays more of a finnese game from what I've heard. IMHO he'll get picked too high thanks to his name, even though I've seen his rating fall quite a bit this season, for example he was rated much higher than his teammate Bo Horvat, but right now it seems Horvat overtook him in the rankings.

CantTouchThis

Feb 16, 2012
Town in Country

And who said Drouin's IQ is lacking? That is absolutely false.

Ya maybe he's reffering to my comment where I called him Marchand. I'd like to clarify that the only reason I said that was because he was a chippy player. He's evidently got a much higher ceiling then Marchand...

Has anyone else seen him live? I mean, you don't see these things on highlights and I hadn't read it anywhere... He was like that every single game I've seen him play.
I feel like Mac will be a more respected player. just my opinion.

avsfan89

Sep 25, 2011
if EA has any indication, Mack turns out as an 86-87, Jones as an 87, and Drouin as an 89-90 aha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad