Prospect Info: The 2013 NHL Entry Draft: Part II | [Avs Currently In: 29th overall]

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
2013NHLDraftCollage.jpg

Part I
Main Mock Draft
Mock Draft 7 rounds
NHL CCS Midterm
TSN Draftcentre

Draft Lottery Chances
See a lot people talking like finishing last means picking 1st, but just a reminder even if Avs finish last they still have only a 25% chance to pick 1st. (But guaranteed to pick no later than 2nd.)

30th: 25% 1st pick. 75% 2nd pick.

29th: 18.8% 1st pick. 25% 2nd pick. 56.2% 3rd pick.

28th: 14.2% 1st pick. 0% 2nd pick. 43.8% 3rd pick. 42% 4th pick.

27th: 10.7% 1st pick. 0% 2nd pick. 0% 3rd pick. 58% 4th pick. 30.3% 5th pick.

2lwqihk.jpg

Avs the tank engine special!

Last edited:

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I know it's been talked about before, but if the Avs get Jones, does he make the jump immediately?

Only guys to do so recently (I believe) are Doughty, Fowler, Hedman, Larsson, Sbisa, Burns, Bogosian. Still a little early on most of them, but Doughty is the only one who, so far, has become a superstar. I guess there is always the 9 game trial, which I'm sure they would use, but I really hope they would do what is best for Jones long term development.

edit: Add Kulikov, Schenn, Ekman-Larsson to that list.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yes Jones will play in the NHL next season. Some scouts have said he is good enough that he could have played in the NHL this year. In other words, he is ready.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Yes Jones will play in the NHL next season. Some scouts have said he is good enough that he could have played in the NHL this year. In other words, he is ready.
This alone will make for a great off-season. Glad to hear this.

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
If we end up with the number two pick what do you think it would cost to move up? Would the Panthers even consider it? They do have Gudbranson and Kulikov as young D prospects so they may consider it but you can never have too many good Dmen I suppose.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I think Mad Hunwick has graduated from being finger pointed at to being gently patted on the head. He's been pretty good in a role that is way too big for him.

Ryan O'Byrne at the same time has in a Borg-like way assimilated the the lost tankiness from Hunwick and is now a super tanker. What the hell happened, dude? I did like the way he pinched to keep the puck in last night. He had some O'Brien like dump and chase episodes too. I guess he finally snapped and is going to do whatever he likes now. It's not like he's going to get scratched.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If we end up with the number two pick what do you think it would cost to move up? Would the Panthers even consider it? They do have Gudbranson and Kulikov as young D prospects so they may consider it but you can never have too many good Dmen I suppose.

I think the Panthers will draft MacKinnon, regardless if they are 1, 2, or 3. They don't have a prospect beside Hubie (who is better at LW) that have #1C potential. They have plenty of good young defensemen.

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007

Why move up? Either Mac or Jones will help the Avs greatly. Possibly as early as next season. Florida will probably go with a forward (Mac?) leaving Jones for #2.

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
Why move up? Either Mac or Jones will help the Avs greatly. Possibly as early as next season. Florida will probably go with a forward (Mac?) leaving Jones for #2.

Its no secret that D is our biggest deficiency and yeah we could use help up front as well but it wouldn't surprise me to see the Management want Jones enough to move up. If Florida do go for a forward then would you consider that against best player available?

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'd be happy with the #2 pick, but if management really wants Jones, maybe they send Elliott to Florida? My reasoning being that EJ, Jones, and Barrie would all be right handed shots, so there wouldn't be room for Elliott anyway.

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
I'd be happy with the #2 pick, but if management really wants Jones, maybe they send Elliott to Florida? My reasoning being that EJ, Jones, and Barrie would all be right handed shots, so there wouldn't be room for Elliott anyway.

Waste of a quality asset. If you are "stuck" drafting Mac then you move Stastny or other assets for what you need. Would imagine we will start to see a lot of "assets" moved soon with so many signed or needing signed this summer and next.

Christian Litscher

May 24, 2010
I'm pretty confident Florida will take Nathan MacKinnon. The J-Bow and Gubranson picks didn't turn out as well as they'd hope and they haven't had a real offensive superstar since Bure.

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I'm pretty confident Florida will take Nathan MacKinnon. The J-Bow and Gubranson picks didn't turn out as well as they'd hope and they haven't had a real offensive superstar since Bure.

Huberdeau may very well turn into that for them (I still think it's too early to tell)

But you're right, if FLA finishes and wins 1st overall, it's conceivable that they would target MacKinnon.

Really, as has been said numerous times, it appears that there is a clear cut Top 3, and any one of those Top 3 COULD have a case made for them to be #1. Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin all have the toolsets/skills to be selected 1st overall.

AdamCalderHero

Jul 20, 2010
Coventry, England
Huberdeau may very well turn into that for them (I still think it's too early to tell)

But you're right, if FLA finishes and wins 1st overall, it's conceivable that they would target MacKinnon.

Really, as has been said numerous times, it appears that there is a clear cut Top 3, and any one of those Top 3 COULD have a case made for them to be #1. Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin all have the toolsets/skills to be selected 1st overall.

Ive not seen any of these prospects personally but is Barkov in this conversations as well? I've heard some people talk like he is but then others tend to ignore him.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Ive not seen any of these prospects personally but is Barkov in this conversations as well? I've heard some people talk like he is but then others tend to ignore him.

I don't know if he was in the "same breath" of Jones/MacKinnon/Drouin, but I've seen others say that the difference isn't large either. It does honestly look like the Top 5-7 in this draft consists of some REALLY NICE players.

But Barkov getting his injury doesn't help him right now imo

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo

This draft kinda reminds me of the 2009 draft with Tavares,Hedman and Duchene as the top 3 but no clear cut nr 1 and then guys like Evander Kane,OEL,Brayden Schenn picked next with Kadri as 7.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Wasn't there some rumor about MacKinnon/Drouin pulling a Lindros if they were drafted by Florida?

Never heard or read that, I mean I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happens, but I think it's nothing.

Also if we do draft Jones, I want to keep ALL the defensemen until they show us what they can do, I do NOT want to be Shattenkirk'd again.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Question/scenario for you guys, wondering what you would do here.

We end up with the 2nd overall, FLA with 1st overall. The Panthers draft Jones, and, then a team comes to the Avs with this proposal:

5th Overall + 7th Overall for the 2nd Overall, 32nd overall and Stefan Elliott.

Would you guys pull the trigger on this trade?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Never heard or read that, I mean I wouldn't be surprised if something like this happens, but I think it's nothing.

Also if we do draft Jones, I want to keep ALL the defensemen until they show us what they can do, I do NOT want to be Shattenkirk'd again.

This... keep them all until they prove they can't make the NHL team. The only way you trade them is for an absolute sure thing like OEL.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
This draft kinda reminds me of the 2009 draft with Tavares,Hedman and Duchene as the top 3 but no clear cut nr 1 and then guys like Evander Kane,OEL,Brayden Schenn picked next with Kadri as 7.

JT was the clear number one, those rumblings about Matt or Hedman going 1st were just speculation based on nothing substantial just to get hits.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008

I don't think either team would pull the trigger on that deal. The Avs prefer the high-end talent at #2, trust Pracey and co. for that #32, and Elliott still holds some value. On the flip side, a team with the 5th and 7th overall selections would really need to be overwhelmed to accept a deal, because you can add two extremely high quality young players to your organiation there. Anyhow, I don't see anybody having the 5th AND 7th overall selections.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

Good point, I would tend to agree, but I've long maintained that prospects/scouting isn't a "Hockey Strength" of mine, and I rely more on those who it is, people like Renegade Stylings and S E P H and others here that can provide a better analysis of the players, because of where I live it makes it more difficult for me to watch the games.

If you're interested in the scouting side and wanting to know more about prospects, I would highly recommend following both S E P H and Renegade Stylings on Twitter, if you'd like to know their Handles you could inquire with them :yo:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Question/scenario for you guys, wondering what you would do here.

We end up with the 2nd overall, FLA with 1st overall. The Panthers draft Jones, and, then a team comes to the Avs with this proposal:

No. I would prefer to have Mac/Drouin + Heatherington/Hartman/Lazar + Elliott over Lindholm + Nurse.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I don't think either team would pull the trigger on that deal. The Avs prefer the high-end talent at #2, trust Pracey and co. for that #32, and Elliott still holds some value. On the flip side, a team with the 5th and 7th overall selections would really need to be overwhelmed to accept a deal, because you can add two extremely high quality young players to your organiation there. Anyhow, I don't see anybody having the 5th AND 7th overall selections.

Yea it is an extremely unlikely situation to have happen. The only 2 teams I could see having a shot at getting 2 picks like that would be CBJ(Because of there 3 1sts) and PHI.

As for that deal, I have no idea what I would do. Pracey and co do have a real good track record when it comes to 2nd's, 3rds and 4th rounders. But at the same time, 2 of those Top 7 picks result in a couple very nice picks, that are fairly safe bets.

Only way the other team would do it is if they had Drouin or Mackinnon pegged as the #1 guy in the draft, and they were still on the board at #2.

An extremely unlikely scenario, but something interesting to think about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad