The 2013-2014 Blues Discussion Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Anaheim are the obvious threat for Miller, and I don't see him signing an extension while that remains a possibility. I don't really see him going anywhere else.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Not sure how you came to the conclusion that him walking is more likely (since we could just as easily not win AND re-sign him), but hey being negative must be fun.

Right...I'm being negative.

If you think Miller is more likely to sign than not, that's on you. I'd rather see that type of money go to a center. What are the chances this team can afford both? Miller's going to get paid, whether it's from the Blues or not.

Megalodan

Registered Loser
Mar 11, 2011
Drinkscotch Center
Right...I'm being negative.

If you think Miller is more likely to sign than not, that's on you. I'd rather see that type of money go to a center. What are the chances this team can afford both? Miller's going to get paid, whether it's from the Blues or not.
He'll be back. Armstrong is an accountant's GM. He crunches the numbers and makes decisions based on that. If Armstrong's going to move the assets for a player he's gotta be 99.9% sure he'll re-sign, 100% sure he can keep him in the budget. Stastny is the same way, and could totally fit under the cap with Miller. Check out this completely believable scenario for July 1st:

Berglund+Schwartz+Sobotka are first qualified to buy time for the UFAs. Suppose that the Blues luck out and sign Miller+Stastny+Ott. Worst case that'll be 7M+7M+3M. That's, what, $17M? Out of $25M?

That leaves $8M left to extend Berglund, Sobotka, and Schwartz. Move Berglund, keep the deals budget, and Armstrong will have a full roster and cap room to spare for the upcoming Jackman, Tarasenko, Cole, Allen, and Jaskin extensions.

Woo, hockey management! :help:

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Acquiring Miller is like acquiring Bouwmeester last season, our expectations of the budget for next season have to go up. Trading for Miller and not being capable of spending around the cap would make little sense. I'm confident we can afford both Miller and a centre.

That doesn't change that the decision is not for Armstrong to make, Ryan Miller will decide who he signs with. I fully expect his first choice will be Anaheim, if they still want him. If we haven't signed Miller by the draft then he will not be signing an extension.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Army had talks for Spezza and we can reasonably assume Kesler since there were at least 6 strong offers for him, we can reasonably assume that there is a budget in place for Miller and a center. That might mean that there are planned cuts elsewhere, but there is a plan that exists that fits Miller and Stastny or whoever.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
If Army had talks for Spezza and we can reasonably assume Kesler since there were at least 6 strong offers for him, we can reasonably assume that there is a budget in place for Miller and a center. That might mean that there are planned cuts elsewhere, but there is a plan that exists that fits Miller and Stastny or whoever.

Shedding the contracts of Roy, Halak, Stewart and Elliott pretty much covers Miller and a high prices center, doesn't it?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Shedding the contracts of Roy, Halak, Stewart and Elliott pretty much covers Miller and a high prices center, doesn't it?

Somewhat. The cap is going up, and we'll certainly see our cap spending rise, but actual dollars paid is more significant for this team.

At the mid-point of this season we were heading towards $64.5m in actual salary paid to our NHL players (& 1 way contracts).

Next season we are at $45.5m with 17 players signed. So that leaves $19m in actual salary for Schwartz, Sobotka, Berglund/Ott, Miller, a depth player & a centre. I imagine that Sobotka and Berglund will get long term contracts, which will be backloaded. Schwartz will get ~$3m in actual salary next season whether he signs a bridge or an 8 year deal. Etc. We'll probably be right back around $65m in actual salary next season.

Christ. Just looking at our current contracts and the 3 players we have tied up the longest are Pietrangelo, Bouwmeester and... Reaves :laugh: Nobody else signed beyond 2017 yet.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Assuming and it's a big assumption that Stillman is willing to go to the cap again next year (which is projected at 71.1mil) I think we could make it work next year. This is what I came up with using the Arm Chair on Capgeek.

All these players are signed for next year already.

Alex Steen (5.8MIL) - David Backes (4.5MIL) - T.J. Oshie (4.175)
LW - C - Vladimir Tarasenko (900k)
LW - C - Magnus Paajarvi (1.2MIL)
LW - Maxim Lapierre (1.1MIL) - Ryan Reaves (1.25)MIL
Chris Porter (675K) & Dmitri Jaskin (772.5K)

Jay Bouwmeester (5.4MIL) - Alex Pietrangelo (6.5MIL)
Barret Jackman (3.167MIL) - Kevin Shattenkirk (4.25MIL)
Jordan Leopold (2.25MIL) - Roman Polak (2.75MIL)
Ian Cole (825K)

G
Jake Allen (800K)

Now here is what I roughly think our RFAs and UFAs will get.

Jaden Schwartz (4MIL) - He has been really good, probably a 60 point player this year but there is no way they give him more money than Oshie got so I am going bridge deal here.

Patrick Berglund (3.25MIL) - This is what we are currently paying him and IMO is about what he is worth (maybe a little less) so I see Army extended him at this amount.

Vladimir Sobotka (3.25MIL) - I bump him up to Berglund's pay seeing as how we get similar things from both players.

Brenden Morrow (1.5MIL) - I would bring him back as 4th liner next year. Outside of the penalties I have really like what he has brought so far.

Ryan Miller (6.25MIL) - This is what he is currently getting paid and with him aging I think it is more than fair to bring him back.

Paul Stastny (6.6MIL) - Again this what he is currently getting paid and while I think we can get him for less I will leave him at this amount for the sake of argument.

That leaves the lineup as...

Alex Steen (5.8MIL) - David Backes (4.5MIL) - T.J. Oshie (4.175)
Jaden Schwartz (4MIL) - Paul Stastny (6.6MIL) - Vladimir Tarasenko (900k)
Patrik Berglund (3.25MIL) - Vladimir Sobotka (3.25MIL) - Magnus Paajarvi (1.2MIL)
Brenden Morrow (1.5MIL) - Maxim Lapierre (1.1MIL) - Ryan Reaves (1.25)MIL
Chris Porter (675K) & Dmitri Jaskin (772.5K)

Jay Bouwmeester (5.4MIL) - Alex Pietrangelo (6.5MIL)
Barret Jackman (3.167MIL) - Kevin Shattenkirk (4.25MIL)
Jordan Leopold (2.25MIL) - Roman Polak (2.75MIL)
Ian Cole (825K)

Ryan Miller (6.25MIL)
Jake Allen (800K)

Payroll - 71,039,167
Cap - 71,100,000
Space - 60,833

I know it is very close but I overshot with some projections on purpose. I reality I think we could get both Stastny and Miller for a bit less and maybe even Sobotka and Schwartz as well seeing as how they are both RFA.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I do like Morrow's grit and his ability to stand in front of the net. But I doubt we cut it that close to the cap. If we do he'll simply have to go. Our 4th-line LW can be filled by others, it isn't that big of a deal.

We could also trade Leopold to clear some cap, he's decent not really that necessary.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I do like Morrow's grit and his ability to stand in front of the net. But I doubt we cut it that close to the cap. If we do he'll simply have to go. Our 4th-line LW can be filled by others, it isn't that big of a deal.

We could also trade Leopold to clear some cap, he's decent not really that necessary.

I agree I don't think we cut it that close either but I still think I overshot on some of the contracts. I think if we legitimately have a shot at Stastny it will be closer to 6MIL saving 600K. Miller I am not really sure but I don't think it will take more than what he is currently being paid. We could also start Jaskin in the minors which would take another 700K off our total, he needs to work on his skating some more anyway.

I don't see Berglund taking a pay cut but maybe we can negotiate Sobotka at a little lower number saving 2-300K. Hell we could even come back to Morrow and say this year we can only give you 1.2MIL opening up 300K. All small amounts but it would open up almost 2MIL in capspace. Again this is all armchair but my point is I feel it I completely possible to keep the team together and add Stastny next year.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah, I agree. The thing I like about Stillman is he does seem completely focused on getting this team to win rather than saving his money.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Some reports have said the cap will be closer to 68, not 71. Don't think any team going to cut it that close, certainly not the Blues.

Would be nice though.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Some reports have said the cap will be closer to 68, not 71. Don't think any team going to cut it that close, certainly not the Blues.

Would be nice though.

I think the League has reassured GM's about that, while it might not get to the $71.1m from earlier projections, it will still be $70m or a little higher.

When it comes to projections to our current players... who knows what type of discounts the players will give to stick around. We should be giving Sobotka and Berglund long term contracts if we are keeping them; we know what they are and despite Berglund's frustrating offensive play, overall he is a consistent player. We need to remember that UFA years are more expensive than RFA years, and both only have 1 more RFA year left. If we can sign both, long term, at under $7m total then we have a good deal.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I hope that Stillman is at least breaking even.

The early season financials weren't as good as hoped and the team is over budget. I think things have picked up a little as the season has went on, but our the seasons financials are going to be determined in the playoffs this year.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I'm heading to the game Saturday and I've got a few questions. Where is a good place to park? When do the doors open? What's a real good family place to eat?

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'm heading to the game Saturday and I've got a few questions. Where is a good place to park? When do the doors open? What's a real good family place to eat?

Don't park at the garage at Scottrade. It's like 15 or 20 bucks. There's plenty of lots and garages within a few blocks that are 10 bucks. Doors open an hour before gametime. As for food, are you wanting to eat near the game? Or somewhere in St. Louis? There's some really good Italian food on The Hill, and it's not too terribly far from Scottrade. Otherwise I'm not too familiar with all the eateries around downtown.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO

Joe Bucks is never a bad place to eat. Never seems to be crowded nowadays, take that for what you will…

Don't park in the stadium garage unless you plan on waiting 45 minutes after the game waiting in a line getting off. I usually park somewhat far away because it's cheaper and no wait lines after.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Joe Bucks is never a bad place to eat. Never seems to be crowded nowadays, take that for what you will…

Don't park in the stadium garage unless you plan on waiting 45 minutes after the game waiting in a line getting off. I usually park somewhat far away because it's cheaper and no wait lines after.
I'm from Southern MO, I need specifics on parking lol. I've looked on Scott trades website with lil insight on what to do

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I'm from Southern MO, I need specifics on parking lol. I've looked on Scott trades website with lil insight on what to do

There is literally parking all around the rink so you shouldnt have any problem finding a place to park. As for eating around the rink there arent too many options that are super close, Maggie Os is pretty good, Joe Bucks is always an option, Flying Saucer is good. There are also some good places in Soulard or off of Wash Ave that have shuttles to the game so you could eat then just hop on the shuttle.

edit: Also there used to be a stickied thread that had all this information in it, not sure what happened to it but you could probably search it and find it

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
There's also a Hard Rock Cafe at Union Station which is right down the street from STC. It's 15 bucks to park there, but it's very close and not too much of a pain to get out after the game. That's where we typically park for games, but there are lots all over.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
There's also a Hard Rock Cafe at Union Station which is right down the street from STC. It's 15 bucks to park there, but it's very close and not too much of a pain to get out after the game. That's where we typically park for games, but there are lots all over.

If money isn't an issue, Union Station is a great option. Not too much traffic. And that Hard Rock usually isn't very buys. Kind of pricey though.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
There is literally parking all around the rink so you shouldnt have any problem finding a place to park. As for eating around the rink there arent too many options that are super close, Maggie Os is pretty good, Joe Bucks is always an option, Flying Saucer is good. There are also some good places in Soulard or off of Wash Ave that have shuttles to the game so you could eat then just hop on the shuttle.

edit: Also there used to be a stickied thread that had all this information in it, not sure what happened to it but you could probably search it and find it
It was unstickied during a cleaning spree quite awhile back. Not enough traffic to justify staying at the top of the page, and the few questions that were being asked are generally answerable with a quick google search or a couple of replies.

Here is the link.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Thanks guys, I've kept it a secret from him as to why we're up here. I wonder when he'll catch on. I don't think he know what STC from watching games

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad