The 2013-2014 Blues Discussion Thread - Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Haven't been to a Blues game in about 3 years (living in New Mexico), but I pulled the trigger on Game 2 club seats. Hopefully now I don't live to regret this after the schedule gets announced.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
I'm pretty sure my favorite thing about the game yesterday is that we still went 3-1against them in the season series, and now we are apparently doomed to lose to them forever.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I plan on getting tickets to game 2 in round 1. Would it be safe to assume the date of that game would be Friday April 18th?

I'm trying to adjust my schedule at work and such.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I was under the assumption Steen may have some nagging injury that he could play through if need be, but didn't feel the need to risk it getting worse. I haven't seen anything about the injury other than the classic "upper-body."

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I was under the assumption Steen may have some nagging injury that he could play through if need be, but didn't feel the need to risk it getting worse. I haven't seen anything about the injury other than the classic "upper-body."

This is my assumption as well. With our remaining 4 games, we should collect more than enough points to clinch, so I wouldn't be surprised if they keep resting Steen. It's pretty evident that we are going to need Steen and Tarasenko for our offense in the playoffs, so it's better for us to get both in the best possible shape.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

I thought that at first, but the extended time out makes me question the exact nature of the injury. For all I know it could be concussion symptoms, as its only described as "upper body".

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He's practicing so let's not make assumptions just to worry about something.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
I'd prefer them not tell what it is. At least that way, opposing teams won't know what it is. It's frustrating as a fan, but it's definitely better for the team not to say.

I'll admit I haven't been a hockey fan for all that long, probably the last 3 or 4 years or so (where I grew up people didn't even know what hockey was, they thought that's what you did before you spit a loogee)

I just find it interesting that hockey is pretty much the only sport where it's not considered taboo to keep injuries secret. There are people like Belichick for the Patriots who are super secretive, but aside from a chosen few the rest seem to get crucified in the other major sports for doing so.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
I'll admit I haven't been a hockey fan for all that long, probably the last 3 or 4 years or so (where I grew up people didn't even know what hockey was, they thought that's what you did before you spit a loogee)

I just find it interesting that hockey is pretty much the only sport where it's not considered taboo to keep injuries secret. There are people like Belichick for the Patriots who are super secretive, but aside from a chosen few the rest seem to get crucified in the other major sports for doing so.
What's the point of revealing the nature of the injury unless it's blatantly obvious? There's no benefit to the team or Steen by doing so. It doesn't make him get healthy any quicker. All it does is let the other teams know where and how bad a guy is hurt. It makes him a target.

Edit: I'm not criticizing you. I'm just explaining how I feel about it.

bluemandan

Ya Ma Goo!
Mar 18, 2008

The NFL is supposed to have full disclosure of injuries for sports betting reasons.

Jan 25, 2013
Missouri
What's the point of revealing the nature of the injury unless it's blatantly obvious? There's no benefit to the team or Steen by doing so. It doesn't make him get healthy any quicker. All it does is let the other teams know where and how bad a guy is hurt. It makes him a target.

Edit: I'm not criticizing you. I'm just explaining how I feel about it.

Oh I completely agree with hiding the nature of the injury. I think it's absolutely a good idea. That's why I brought up the point that I find it interesting that hockey is really the only major sport where it's done. I would think all coaches/organizations in any sport would want to keep them secret to gain whatever advantage there is to be gained.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'd prefer them not tell what it is. At least that way, opposing teams won't know what it is. It's frustrating as a fan, but it's definitely better for the team not to say.

I'm not arguing that the team should announce this. I'm asking whether any fans/media have reported on it. There are plenty of avenues we've found out about injuries throughout the season. This debate about the team divulging injuries is a tangent.

I'm surprised that asking about the injury has engendered such a response.

Evidently no one on here has any idea about it, or imagine they'd have spoken up.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
I've seen no indication anywhere, and considering most injuries I find somewhere other than from the nhl website, blues website, or the paper, I'd say that no one has said anything or seen anything. He must not be wearing a cast or favoring anything.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
As stated above, The Blues want to make sore that Steen will be as healthy as possible for the playoffs, and that opposing teams' players won't be able to "target" his injury, to make it worse, or re-injure him before it fully heals. The fact that he's skating in practises leads me to believe that it wasn't a concussion. Maybe a shoulder, as has been postulated? I don't remember a particular hit or shift where he skated off favouring any body part.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
As stated above, The Blues want to make sore that Steen will be as healthy as possible for the playoffs, and that opposing teams' players won't be able to "target" his injury, to make it worse, or re-injure him before it fully heals. The fact that he's skating in practises leads me to believe that it wasn't a concussion. Maybe a shoulder, as has been postulated? I don't remember a particular hit or shift where he skated off favouring any body part.

The insane interference in the philly game is what I heard it may have came from

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I remember last year that the last part of the season the Blues didn't look all that great, then once game 1 started, they came out banging relentlessly. I feel the same will happen this year. The light switch will be clicked "on". I only hope they have the #1 seed in the West.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad