The 2013-14 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
GMRS interviewed on WBS radio between periods. Lots of glowing accolades about every individual mentioned - Kobasew, Archibald, Macaroni, etc. Said Kobasew wasn't the same player after he had a high ankle sprain/lost some speed.

Said everyone they're playing is desperate and the Pens need to raise their level of play to that level. Also mentioned injuries, but the opponents' desperation was more prominent.

I must be the only one listening or else there would have been lots of "random excuse generator" posts before this one.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
The WBS team is going to be fun to watch next year. We might actually have some depth down there depending on who comes out of college and who stays.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Archibald scored tonight. That combined with Bennett's goal:

wba8y.gif

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Dominik Uher showed some serious speed in the two Norfolk games. First one he chased down a clearing attempt all the way to the Admirals corner and immediately threw a sharp centering pass to a streaking Archibald for a great wrist shot and goal. Second game a Norfolk player fumbles the puck on the PP, Uher darts in and steals it at the WBS blue line, races down the ice and flips a forehand past Gibson for a shorthanded GWG. Good to see the kid's hustle rewarded with some points. He's already tripled his meager 7 points from last season.

Also, Kobasew's goal streak ended at 6 games. Instead he beat up a 5'8 non-fighter defenseman. Dirty Penguin is dirty.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
WBS won tonight, 3-0. Goals by Farnham, Kobasew and Uher. Uher's goal was shorthanded and Anton Zlobin picked up the primary assist on Farnham's.

Peter Mannino continues his hot streak with a shut out, although he only faced 17 shots.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I bet Mannino's happy now that he did report to Wheeling after all. Played his way back up and now he's leading Wilkes-Barre's turnaround.

And whatever Kobasew's NHL usefulness or lack thereof may be, he's not sulking or dogging it in WBS. Another fight yesterday, against a guy who'd just laid a hard hit on a Baby Pen. 8 goals and 2 fights in 8 games. Good leadership, a guy with 600 NHL games giving his all after being demoted.

penguins2946*

We need the preseason version of Kobasew, not the regular season version. Right now, he's playing like he did in the preseason.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Zlobin is a top 6 or bust guy, he's not the type for bottom 6 roles. He was on a scoring line yesterday with Kostopolous and Dragenovich (I think) and didn't look out of place at all.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Zlobin is a top 6 or bust guy, he's not the type for bottom 6 roles. He was on a scoring line yesterday with Kostopolous and Dragenovich (I think) and didn't look out of place at all.

I was thinking more about now considering the lack of talent on this team's 3rd and 4th lines and during the course of the playoffs injuries occur, so maybe he might get a taste of NHL Playoff hockey this year?

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I was thinking more about now considering the lack of talent on this team's 3rd and 4th lines and during the course of the playoffs injuries occur, so maybe he might get a taste of NHL Playoff hockey this year?

I'd say we'd have to have a boatload of injuries this year (like what we've had magnified by 3) for him to get a sip of NHL action. But anything is possible I guess.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
We're talking about calling up Zlobin for the playoffs?

Anyway, how has Archibald looked?

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Baby Pens win again, 1-0 in overtime on a Drazenovic goal. Since taking over as #1 goalie at the start of March Mannino has gone 9-2-1 with a 0.91 GAA, .958 SP and 4 shutouts. WBS didn't score significantly more than during their February slump but allowed only 11 goals against in 12 games.

From being in danger of missing the playoffs to taking over the division lead from Binghamton, all in one month. They have three games against the Baby Sens left, those will decide who wins the East Division.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Hartzells comeback to the AHL could have been better. Hes allowed 5 goals in the 1st period alone, thats just brutal.

Havent seen the goals but still pretty brutal.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Hartzells comeback to the AHL could have been better. Hes allowed 5 goals in the 1st period alone, thats just brutal.

Havent seen the goals but still pretty brutal.

He had a good start to his AHL career but that was what? 2 months of good play. He's been terrible since.

And Archibald back in the lineup. Assuming he was just rested because of the short break between games and will not be use to that from the NCAA. No Rust or Wilson, though yet.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Hartzell doesn't have the mechanics to be an NHL goalie, at least anything more than a below average backup. He'd have to retool his entire skillset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad