The 2013-14 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Their home opener was tonight in Wilkes-Barre featuring these ugly special 15th anniversary jerseys. (The season opener was last Saturday: a 5-2 win at Bridgeport [thanks Big].)

1378654_10151627685601384_106665536_n.jpg

They defeated Hershey 3-1 on goals from Gibbons (who also had an assist), Sill, and Conner. Jeff Deslauriers got the start and stopped 18 of 19. Click here for the box score.

I'm a little sad I don't live in Scranton anymore because it meant giving up my Baby Pens season tickets, but LGBP!

Last edited:

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Good color for Despres, covers up the mustard stains well.

Looks like D'Agostino got the nod over McNeil.

I swear I looked at that box score like seconds ago and Dustin Stevenson was listed instead of D'Agostino. I can't believe the AHL.com scorekeeper would lead me wrong.

If JDD continues to play well, I'm not going to be surprised to see Hartzell sent down to Wheeling when his injury situation clears up to get the bulk of the starts there instead of being in some type of 60/40 start situation. Can Pens do that though, considering he's technically not on his ELC? Isn't there some rule or something that a guy not on his ELC can refuse to be sent down to the ECHL? Am I thinking of something else or maybe an older and no longer in use contract situation?

Last edited:

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
Good to see Gibbons's goal was a SHG. His speed is elite at the AHL level and if he can start burying some of the umpteen odd-man rushes he creates, he could be a decent bottom-6/pk'er in the NHL. It seemed he'd be good for one or two a game last season and then totally flub his scoring chance. He's the fastest skater I've seen play with WBS in quite a while.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Aside from the bland anniversary logo I actually really like those jerseys...mostly because I don't instantly equate every single shade of yellow/gold to mustard or urine like so many people seem to (at least this shade can't be compared to urine :P ). It's a good color for an alternate jersey.

For the record, tonight wasn't the opener; the Baby Pens beat Bridgeport 5-2 last week a week ago on the backs of 2 goal games by Conner and Scrabbles. Deslauriers also started that game.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Aside from the bland anniversary logo I actually really like those jerseys...mostly because I don't instantly equate every single shade of yellow/gold to mustard or urine like so many people seem to (at least this shade can't be compared to urine :P ). It's a good color for an alternate jersey.

For the record, tonight wasn't the opener; the Baby Pens beat Bridgeport 5-2 last week a week ago on the backs of 2 goal games by Conner and Scrabbles. Deslauriers also started that game.

Thanks for the info. I feel like a failure for being so behind.

It's nice to see them putting up decent scoring numbers so far. They went through some pretty paltry offensive stretches last year.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Good to see Gibbon's goal was a SHG. His speed is elite at the AHL level and if he can start burying some of the umpteen odd-man rushes he creates, he could be a decent bottom-6/pk'er in the NHL. It seemed he'd be good for one or two a game last season and then totally flub his scoring chance. He's the fastest skater I've seen play with WBS in quite a while.

Yeah, I love Gibbons' game in the AHL. It'd be nice to see him translate it to the NHL, but I don't know if that'll happen. Still, he's thrilling for WBS.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
6-3 WBS final.

The three stars were Neilson, Angelidis and Harrington, who combined for one point.

Gotta love the AHL.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Am i missing something? where did this Simon Despres is fat thing come from?

An erroneous report by the Pittsburgh media during training camp. Despres struggled in a few conditioning drills at camp and the idiotic local media claimed it was because he was out of shape when in reality he was just sick.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
6-3 WBS final.

The three stars were Neilson, Angelidis and Harrington, who combined for one point.

Gotta love the AHL.

looks like they corrected them

1. WBS - 29 Tom Kostopoulos
2. WBS - 10 Nick Drazenovic
3. SYR - 6 Matt Taormina

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad