The 2013-14 Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Hartzell doesn't have the mechanics to be an NHL goalie, at least anything more than a below average backup. He'd have to retool his entire skillset.

His first season in the AHL and his first in a pro league and he is being criticised. If you ask me he is doing fine.

penguins2946*

Kobasew scored again, and Vokoun is making his first start. Please come back TV, we need some Vokouna Matata

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Kobasew scores yet again to tie it, 2-2. Bryan Rust is seeing his first AHL game, Archibald and Wilson not playing tonight.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Kobasew's dominant play is exactly why I don't really give a **** what prospects are able to accomplish at the AHL level. The guy couldn't play a regular NHL shift without being a liability, but he's apparently Ovechkin in the AHL. :laugh:

Just as long as they get playing time, and get to develop, I'm happy.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Baby Pens beat Syracuse 3-2 in a shootout. Vokoun made 23 saves in the game and then stopped all 4 shootout attempts. Zlobin and Machacek converted for WBS. Dumoulin left in the 3rd period after taking a high hit, and did not return.

No change in the standings as Binghamton won, too. Both teams play each other tomorrow at Wilkes-Barre.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
Anyone know why Archibald did not play last night?? Are they saving for next year.

Kid has speed, grit and can score.

CaptainMckenna*

Has macaroni played in wbs yet? What are they doing with him

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Anyone know why Archibald did not play last night?? Are they saving for next year.

Kid has speed, grit and can score.

Watching the game now, and I was wondering the same thing. But I have only seen one WBS game with him in the lineup, so I am guessing he hasn't impressed enough to warrant ice time/they felt he needed to sit a game. But it is frustrating to see non prospects like Mike Carman, and Carter Rowney in the lineup and Archibald sitting. As well as a useless player like Farnham (took another stupid penalty, his speciality)

On the plus side, Bryan Rust is playing. I recalled him on the ice 2 times. Nothing of note to report on either shift.

Got through the 1st period. Vokoun didn't look too sharp. But that is too be expected. 1st goal was weak. 2nd goal, not his fault, tough deflection. Was off his angle a few times. Got saved by the post once. What he did do very well in the 1st was play the puck. He was money handling the puck alertly and QUICKLY getting it to our Dmen with some 15-20 feet passes. Allowed us to get out of the zone before the Crunch got in. And our Dmen didn't have to come all the way back behind the net to get a simple goalie stop, and puck rest. It was reminder of how he can take pressure off a defense, as compared to MAF.

But that was the only 2 goals Syracuse scored, so obviously Vokoun didn't allow any the rest of the way.

Kobasew with a rocket shot for the WBS goal.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Kobe with another nice goal in the 2nd, haha. This is the 3rd game I have seen of his 11 played since going to WBS, and (so far in this one) he was been the best WBS forward in each game I have watched, haha...sorry to say. Kinda sad. But he really is tearing it up. 10 goals in 11 games and SH% of 32%. Dude has been money.

EDIT: Haha....Vokoun goes behind his net to stop a Crunch dump in, stops it with his stick, and then instead of passing it with his stick, he takes a big skate kick to the back of his stick to propel the puck off his stick and around the boards to an awaiting WBS dmen.

EDIT: For those that wish they could watch a lot of WBS games, don't...haha....this is one of those games in which it is painful to watch. 30 minutes in of a scrambly, no talented, puck chopping into a million pieces, awful hockey.

Last edited:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
What happened to Farnham? he was talked about a lot by Pens fans in these threads, aswell as Sill and Vitale.

Nothing really. It is just my opinion that he sucks. I know a lot of people like him a lot. (not saying I am correct in my assessment, I always acknowledge I could be wrong in my stance.) For me he is a selfish player because he takes a lot of retaliatory penalties. I can't stand selfish play. Just not smart. A lot of his hits are charges. But I get it, he wants to be an agitator. But he has to be smarter about it in my opinion. And when he does start things, and has to fight, he usually gets his butt kicked. And he really doesn't have any hockey talent, aside from an agitator role. He hustles though.

I don't think much of Sill either (another minority opinion). Although he is much better than Farnham. I just think Sill is a very average AHL'er. So I can't see him adding much value on the big club, aside from an occasion cup of coffee. But Sill is definitely a good team player. Vitale, on the other hand, was a very good WBS player imo.

Last edited:

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Not much to write home about in the 2nd either on Vokoun, as he saw only 4 shots. And none were tough. He has seen 16 shots through two, and hasn't made any tough saves yet. The rest of the way, in the 3rd and OT, he sees only 9 more shots. So yeah, not exactly a good test, but he got his feet wet. And you gotta start somewhere.

Entertainment wise, an awful period of hockey.

EDIT: in the 3rd, oh man, Dumoulin got hit hard, (very close to boarding) and went down, not sure if shoulder or shaken up or what. But that hit took a toll on him.

EDIT2: Barry Goers, wow.......he is just.......not very good.

Last edited:

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
As a huge Farnham supporter, I must say, my love of him isn't at all based on whether or not he's a good hockey player. He's just pure excitement. I want him to make the NHL, even just for a cup of coffee, just because it would be so absurd and joyful. That said, I do think his game could be an asset even if he doesn't necessarily make the team better. Also I think his selfish/retaliatory penalties are more or less canceled out by how just how effectively he bothers opponents and draws penalties.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
WBS probably had about 4 golden scoring chances in the last few minutes, but couldn't score. Uher with a couple of nice shifts during that span. Harrington with a nice chance. But really not much going on.

Vokoun not really tested. Not sure he can go from barely tested (although he will get another game here) in the A, to playing in an NHL playoff game, if needed. I wouldn't put a lot of hope in seeing Vokoun play this year with us. Just not enough time and opportunity to get him ready.

EDIT: Zlobin with a nice shootout goal, and Vokoun with a nice save on Brett Connelly. Wow, great Vokoun save on the 2nd Crunch shootout attempt. That was a beaut. Made that 3rd save look easy, as well as the 4th.

3 stars of the game, Kobe #1, and two Crunch players get 2nd and 3rd. That's about right, as I really can't name one WBS player, besides Kobe that played very well. Not that anyone was particularly bad though.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I've seen enough games to know Farnham doesn't have the physical tools to play in the NHL. It would be nice to see him get his cup of coffee though, i agree.

Sill was pretty good on draws and could really lay a hit in the NHL. He did some good to great PK work as well. <<<Going off what i remember from his stint in the NHL this year.

Theres really not a big difference between Sill and Vitale imo. Sill probably has the better hockey sense and can hurt you when he hits. Vitale is obviously a little faster but he's great on faceoffs.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
td_ice who do you prefer out of Sill and Payerl at the NHL Level? Isn't Archibald nursing an injury?

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
td_ice who do you prefer out of Sill and Payerl at the NHL Level? Isn't Archibald nursing an injury?

Well that would make sense. I didn't hear about that, but hopefully he is fine. But glad to know that he wasn't benched because of performance or Hynes wasn't playing non prospects ahead of him.

For me, Sill and Payerl are pretty equal. I would give slight edge perhaps to Payerl, but I have my doubts either could be a regular in the NHL, as I don't think they could keep up due to their skating. I think if either improved in that area, they would make good NHL role players.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
WBS clinches their 12th straight playoff berth. good stuff.

i believe the Milwaukee Admirals are also on their 12th consecutive trip to the post-season.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
That's right, both WBS and Milwaukee now have a 12 year playoff streak. Baby Pens also took over the division lead from Bingo tonight. Harrington with the GWG after he missed out yesterday when he hit a post with 10 seconds left in a tie game. Archibald got into a fight with some guy named Dzingel. And McNeill fought Puempel, now that must've been quite the mismatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad