The 2013-14 Training Camp Thread

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Disagree, surely by playing in the NHL for 51 games he has proven more than Sustr or Koekkoek has?

I said I was wrong on him. I dont know enough ive seen him probably ten times against the bolts and wings and in playoffs he didnt catch eye. Didnt look up 2009 later draft picks. I know first few rounds of 2010 guys on though very well. I like gormley a lot better cause know more of him and yep he hasnt proven he is as capable as a guy who has 51 games has:) So said few tampa guys say panik for him is fair do it. I am more like move malone purcell etc.. for that piece keep the kids. I want to see who cuts it and who doesnt in younger guys like the flexibility of their contracts and doing bridge deals on some of them etc.. than keeping old washed up always injured guys just saying that we know look he is a 50 point guy max give a hungry kid a shot see if he can do better:) Is just how I think.

He was #5 for Pittsburgh last season. In his first full NHL season. I am a big fan of Sustr and am hopeful with Koekkoek, but how in any way have they proven more than Despres?

They havent just dont see anything stat wise that says despres will be better than either so to trade panik for him is stupid. If our guys who know more says do it than do it. I want a PMD RH D man and a shut down physical clone gudas 2.0 guy for this team right now. Those are the guys will do what it takes for not another lefty who might top out at number four on our team we got tons of that guy:)

Why do fourth liners need to create scoring opportunities?

I want the danger and nope they dont but when they create the opportunities that wears on the elite clubs and how they play us and should cause more power play time etc.. so stamkos and marty and others can do their thing and we win more games:)

He is a middleweight fighter/agitator/pk'er. Thats his role, thats what he is there for. If he won't fight who will?

I am of the concept everyone fights you get slashed who team takes the guy out see if they pull that ever again?

So wait until his value increases? Why?

Because we dont know who is going to work out. We have 1 proven guy right now imo 1 and that is Killorn. Everyone else is still a question mark by trade deadline we will know who is going to work and who might not:)

Why move Malone or Purcell? We need veterans on this team, the rookies aren't magically going to go through all growing pains in half a season!

Why not? Detroit did it and worked out for them? They kept trading till had teams they wanted but the core 6-7 guys were from the draft. I think we lucked out and have some very great young talent that will prove to make malone and purcell expendable to get us the defense guys we need to fight for the cup within 2014-2015.

Why would Phoenix trade prospects for Yandle? Whats in it for them?

They want a top 6 would be purcell plus to get yandle but I would do that in a second so we had a 50 point guy leading our power play on d with hedman.

You buy a player with question marks and its cheaper or you buy proven and pay the price, thats the option. A player like Despres is intriguing because of the risk reward factor. Whereas Yandle would be outrageously costly.

I dont think yandle would be outrageous a second round pick and purcell or secondary prospect think would do it like barberio purcell maybe a later 5th rounder puts it over the top? Wouldnt you do that?

3 PPG prospects not including Drouin? I think thats slightly excessive given in the last full NHL season only 6 players hit that in the entire league!!

I think Drouin is the number one prospect in hockey right now. Vasi is number five and have said it Kucherov is number 10 overall just people dont realize it. The guy is clutch he does it over and over late game big moments hes the MAN. I have never seen a kid like that and its not something I see ever changing. He is just that good.

Purcell is a great playmaker, decent option on the PP and great with the puck....that isn't one talent.

One talent he is ELITE puck controller. He is not a great power play guy and not a great passer or super fast say as marty or stamkos. He is not great at any other thing he is simple good and best option we had in the past. That no longer in my opinion is the case. Making him expendable next year because kucherov and drouin are coming and they are better players period.

In 11-12 Purcell had 65 points, good for 37th in the league (tied with Ovechkin). While Stamkos had 97 points 2nd in league scoring and St. Louis had 74 points good for 18th. I don't think Purcell was being carried.

He also had 28 goals I like purcell I used to say he would last his contract for what he offered. He is even playing defense and buying into system right now proving even more worth to me. But he is 4.5 million when can give kids who are better his time use him to get the D we desperately need.

You realise the last time 3 players broke 100 points was in 09-10? And that was Ovechkin, Backstrom, Crosby and H. Sedin. Elite company. Are you really suggesting 1 of 4 prospects plus Stammer and Marty will all break 100 points (this will have to be in the next couple of seasons as MSL isn't getting any younger)

I figure marty is good for four more years. Yes I think drouin stamkos marty on power play and kucherov who think has best slap shot ive seen since stamkos came in league on other circle together with marty or drouin down road has a real shot of all hitting the 100 point totals together. I think is best line ive seen since kurri grestsky messier which was best ever. Two elite snipers with marty guy who can keep up with them drouin kicking in time on power play those two marty and drouin passing jesus if we had a good d guy who can score goals we would be unstoppable.

Marty and Vinny broke 100 in 06-07 and that year they were on fire. I don't see that happening again unless Drouin hits his max and him and Stammer have an incredible year. With their own Prospal on their line. A lot of ifs and maybes. But no way in hell are 3 guys on a line hitting 100 points again in this NHL.

I have said kucherov is 10th best prospect in hockey and will be elite and figure him to be next federov.

Stamkos has broken 60 goals, we realise he is good. No one is 140 points in this NHL good.

With the right team players minutes mix ups? I think yeah I could see stamkos hitting 140. Malkin and crosby and ovie have pushed the envelop at times. Why not stamkos playing with two other elite playmakers scorers?

I think a lot of stamkos thing is that marty and purcell are pass first guys if had another guy who would bury it we might see something just quite magical:)

Slightly excessive exaggerations.

Cote I have been absolutely in shock and love his play so far. I dont think he makes team cause barberio has to stay up is out of options. I do however believe to me he is first call up for injuries if we have them on d cause he has proven very capable to do it the right way and give us needed relief in that situation and let sustr develop in own time. Think cause of his age he should clear waivers if that is needed.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Cote deserves to make the team. I could see a team scooping him up if he goes through waivers.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Cote deserves to make the team. I could see a team scooping him up if he goes through waivers.

I don't think anyone can pick him up because he's on an AHL contract. So if he made the team, he would have to sign a NHL contract.

I agree with this completely. If Cote makes the team, and proves he can be that solid bottom pairing guy, I honestly don't see the negative of bringing him up. If anything he would jump full on board with telling the prospects to "Shut up and get in line!" if they ever start to complain because they believe they should be in the main line up but is stuck in the Cuse. Having a character like a Cote could be huge for the locker room and the culture of the team. It would just emphasize that yes, if you work hard for us you will be rewarded. That and as you said before was an assistant captain for the Crunch so he could very well fill a role in keep the young guns on an even kneel.
Labrie is already that good story of how hard work and persistence pays off. Really this whole organization is when you look at Marty St. Louis. From Syracuse MVPs Johnson was undrafted, Conacher was on an AHL contract, and Palat was a 7th rounder. Guys know Yzerman will reward the right players.

Last edited:

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Without an NHL contract, he won't be going through waivers. But another team is free at any time to sign him to an NHL contract.

This is also how you know we've got a class organization. They're giving him every opportunity to showcase for other teams even if he won't make our big squad.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Cote is a career AHLer for a reason.
The same was thought about Mike Kostka and he was apart of Toronto's playoff caliber team and now possibly could stay with the reining Cup champs Chicago. I can't comment how Cote's looked against NHL competition, but I don't think he's been given this look out of courtesy from being one of Coop's guys. He's earned his stay so far and he does have a possible chance, although I think a small one, to make the team.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
The same was thought about Mike Kostka and he was apart of Toronto's playoff caliber team and now possibly could stay with the reining Cup champs Chicago. I can't comment how Cote's looked against NHL competition, but I don't think he's been given this look out of courtesy from being one of Coop's guys. He's earned his stay so far and he does have a possible chance, although I think a small one, to make the team.

He was exposed terribly throughout the year in Toronto and is basically an injury callup at this point. I love the guy and love his style of game, but hes been playing against mostly kids at this point and has been merely serviceable. Keep that in mind.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
He was exposed terribly throughout the year in Toronto and is basically an injury callup at this point. I love the guy and love his style of game, but hes been playing against mostly kids at this point and has been merely serviceable. Keep that in mind.

Mhm I never said Kostka was tearing it up, but he was averaging 22 minutes a night for Toronto. There's something to be said for that. We'll see with Cote. Again I think he has more value down in Syracuse helping the kids than as a bottom pairing or reserve dman up here, which is the most he'll be.

Here's 2 quotes by Cooper from the past few days
"Winning is learned. I truly believe that and I think ultimately you have a choice: you can win games if you buy into a system and it's not necessarily that the Tampa Bay Lightning system is better than the Boston Bruin or better than the Montreal Canadiens, everybody has their system. It's getting the guys to play it and having a belief in it and a belief in each other."
Our 2011 team was great because our guys really bought into Boucher's game. At that time players really stuck with it and therefore got the desired results. That was done with guys like Randy Jones and Brett Clark playing meaningful roles. We were told ahead of time they were garbage. The whole defense wasn't that sexy or great on paper but they were able to execute Boucher's system very well and that made them better than they possibly were. Now look at Norfolk's championship team. What they did to the Marlies was utter domination. Like Boucher's early success in 2011, Coop's teams in the AHL have been great because he had players who faithfully followed his game plan and were able to implement it to almost perfection.
"The great thing about this is, a few years ago in the American league I didn't have anybody there who had played for me before. Now there will be guys who have played for me that know and trust what we're doing, that don't even blink an eye so you can surround yourself with that."
This is where Cote can come into the Lighting's picture. One of the leaders in what Coop's done in the AHL has definitely been Cote. He's one Coop can already rely on and advocate and enforce what he wants to be done right here. And why is he all of a sudden pressing for an NHL job? Maybe it's because he's playing under Coop now. We saw many players look better here under Boucher because of the structure they were able to work in. Cote's dedication to Coop's system could also cover some of his flaws and make him more efficient.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Mhm I never said Kostka was tearing it up, but he was averaging 22 minutes a night for Toronto. There's something to be said for that. We'll see with Cote. Again I think he has more value down in Syracuse helping the kids than as a bottom pairing or reserve dman up here, which is the most he'll be.

Here's 2 quotes by Cooper from the past few days

Our 2011 team was great because our guys really bought into Boucher's game. At that time players really stuck with it and therefore got the desired results. That was done with guys like Randy Jones and Brett Clark playing meaningful roles. We were told ahead of time they were garbage. The whole defense wasn't that sexy or great on paper but they were able to execute Boucher's system very well and that made them better than they possibly were. Now look at Norfolk's championship team. What they did to the Marlies was utter domination. Like Boucher's early success in 2011, Coop's teams in the AHL have been great because he had players who faithfully followed his game plan and were able to implement it to almost perfection.

This is where Cote can come into the Lighting's picture. One of the leaders in what Coop's done in the AHL has definitely been Cote. He's one Coop can already rely on and advocate and enforce what he wants to be done right here. And why is he all of a sudden pressing for an NHL job? Maybe it's because he's playing under Coop now. We saw many players look better here under Boucher because of the structure they were able to work in. Cote's dedication to Coop's system could also cover some of his flaws and make him more efficient.

I really like what I have heard. I would hate to drop him down and lose him would love if could though get him down for kids and be first call if we get injured cause so far he has proven to me to be very serviceable.

I guess he doesnt have nhl deal? Can we send down to teach kids than sign him and protect him? Not sure how that all works?

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I really like what I have heard. I would hate to drop him down and lose him would love if could though get him down for kids and be first call if we get injured cause so far he has proven to me to be very serviceable.

I guess he doesnt have nhl deal? Can we send down to teach kids than sign him and protect him? Not sure how that all works?

I don't believe anyone can grab him if/when he's cut from the team and sent to Syracuse. I think because I don't remember having a problem with Conacher 2 years ago when he one of the last cuts and was also on an AHL deal. But I doubt anyone would claim him if he was exposed to waivers anyway.

This is his best chance imo to make the team. If he doesn't make it out of camp I can't see him being given a contract to be a call up. If we did want to call him up some time during the season he would need to sign a NHL contract. Right now he has an AHL one so he can only play there during the season. A similar situation would be what happen with Nacho when we signed him middle of the year, but this time there's no re-entry waivers in the new CBA so he could join us right after signing.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
My take on why Cote is still up, he's been paired with Sustr every game so they're building that chemistry. They will be the top pair in Syracuse and get heavy minutes all year. Gudas/Barberio/Mikkelson are all gone from down there Lee is hurt still and Sustr will be the first call up so Cote is gonna have a huge role on the Syracuse D. I can't see us giving him an NHL deal but they might just for appreciation and to give him a salary bump as thanks.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Honestly I would love to see him earn it. Just because it's such a nice story and he would be an amazing example for the young guys. He came back from Germany and played his way up since then from the ECHL to now close to the NHL at age 30. Thats just freakin amazing.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
Honestly I would love to see him earn it. Just because it's such a nice story and he would be an amazing example for the young guys. He came back from Germany and played his way up since then from the ECHL to now close to the NHL at age 30. Thats just freakin amazing.

yeah well said :handclap: be like that guy few years ago many probably for the rays a pitcher who was like 36 who made it up for a full year. Just amazing never giving up and what that means financially to a family? Wow.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Sens fan coming in peace. How is bishop doing in the preseason? Is their still a question mark on who is going to start for you guys?

DangleDoppler

Jul 14, 2009
So the most likely event that occurs is Barbs stays with the team, right?

If in the event that doesn't happen then we can assume that he will be picked up off waivers.

At this point, the only way this happens is if Sustr makes the team or Cote makes the team , right?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
My take on why Cote is still up, he's been paired with Sustr every game so they're building that chemistry. They will be the top pair in Syracuse and get heavy minutes all year. Gudas/Barberio/Mikkelson are all gone from down there Lee is hurt still and Sustr will be the first call up so Cote is gonna have a huge role on the Syracuse D. I can't see us giving him an NHL deal but they might just for appreciation and to give him a salary bump as thanks.

This is pretty interesting. And it's doubly beneficial, since Sustr's probably going to be first call-up. So he's getting his feet plenty wet now.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
So the most likely event that occurs is Barbs stays with the team, right?

If in the event that doesn't happen then we can assume that he will be picked up off waivers.

At this point, the only way this happens is if Sustr makes the team or Cote makes the team , right?

Gotta think they'd deal Barberio rather than let him go for free by sending him down. I don't see any way they don't keep him.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
“I think some guys muddied the water a little bit more (in making roster decisions) while some other guys made it easier for us,’’ Cooper said. “But we’ve got a pretty good idea of what we are going to do and we are not going to deviate from it. Some guys played their way in and some guys played their way out. Everybody will find out (today).”
During the first four preseason games, assistant coach George Gwozdecky helped run the bench while Steve Thomas watched the game from the press box as the eye in the sky relaying information to the bench. But for the final three games, the two switched positions with Thomas on the bench and Gwozdecky in the press box.

“George has been behind the bench his whole career and (Thomas) was on the ice his whole career, so you have two different perspectives and it works really well,’’ Cooper said. “I like having different perspectives, George has never been on the bench for us before, so this offers two different looks and two different insights and it’s worked out. I haven’t decided if we are going to continue to do this, but so far it’s worked out well.’’
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/bolts-notes-preseason-over-roster-decisions-next-20130928/

Also, BP's chad has posted an article on Jean-Philippe Cote: http://boltprospects.com/content/cote-elite-role-player

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad