The 2013-14 Training Camp Thread

zeykshade

May 27, 2011
Tannhauser Gate
Bolt Prospects
‏@BoltProspects
Since the Top Gun line is getting so much press, it's time to bring this back out. #TampaCuse pic.twitter.com/IVijFCgcAy

BVLB-1CCUAAY3Vh.jpg:large

Seriously ****ing hilarious.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I doubt they all come up, they were defided last year and had no trouble finding their chemistry back, so I would say they defide them again till the first injurys hit us and all the young guys are all up then anyways.

I still expect us to go:

Malone (if not healthy Killron)-Stammer-MSL
Killorn (if he is up Connolly)-Filppula-Purcell
Drouin-Johnson-Connolly (If he is up Panik)
Palat-Thompson-Crombeen
Labrie, Pyatt

So if Malone and 1 other forward are injured, they are already playing together.

Otherwise looking at this forward group, not many of them are injury prone. Stammer,MSL and Purcell played the whole last 2 seasons. And non off the youngs guys are known for injury problems either...Only Filppula missed some time the last few years.

If we send down Drouin and only 1 player is injured the line is already united.
And no (@Robert Guess), we can not just let Crombeen sit in the presser or trade him. This is not NHL 13/ 14 or whatever. YOu can not just ice 4 scoring lines. Every team needs grinders, players that play D first (and NO the other guys don't do that, though some of them are solid in the back end) and add sandpaper. And again NO, players like Connolly, you call him Powerforward, which he is IMO by far not, Panik and Palat do not add enough sandpaper, those are not guys that drive the opposite crazy due to physical presence and a little ruffing all the time.
If I have to either ice Panik or Crombeen on the 4th line and PK, I take Crombeen everyday of the week and twice on Sunday looking at the rest of the roster.

There are ways that we could make that second line a pretty good defensive line. Val is already good defensively, and Killorn on #2 would be good in that element too. That may give us a bit more leeway into making our third line another "two-way" line, and be able to have a Connolly, who isn't great defensively, on there with Johnson and Palat.

My thing is this... I'm really regretting not moving one of these guys for a defenseman or a pick/prospect right now. Someone is going to be playing in the AHL/Juniors that just straight up doesn't belong down there. ESPECIALLY Bugsy. When he's on he's a force, but he's so rarely on that I would prefer to be able to put someone else up there. I wish we would have bought him out/traded him for a 3rd round pick. We could be rolling with:

Killorn/Stammer/Marty
Connolly/Flip/Purcell
Palat/Johnson/Panik
Labrie/Thompson/Crombeen
Pyatt/Tyrell

With Drouin getting a year in the Q. Pyatt is a guy that can fill in on the bottom 6 for injury or match-up just fine. Admittedly, we're going to have the same problem next year, and probably the year after that, too...

Too many good forwards!

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
There are ways that we could make that second line a pretty good defensive line. Val is already good defensively, and Killorn on #2 would be good in that element too. That may give us a bit more leeway into making our third line another "two-way" line, and be able to have a Connolly, who isn't great defensively, on there with Johnson and Palat.

My thing is this... I'm really regretting not moving one of these guys for a defenseman or a pick/prospect right now. Someone is going to be playing in the AHL/Juniors that just straight up doesn't belong down there. ESPECIALLY Bugsy. When he's on he's a force, but he's so rarely on that I would prefer to be able to put someone else up there. I wish we would have bought him out/traded him for a 3rd round pick. We could be rolling with:

Killorn/Stammer/Marty
Connolly/Flip/Purcell
Palat/Johnson/Panik
Labrie/Thompson/Crombeen
Pyatt/Tyrell

With Drouin getting a year in the Q. Pyatt is a guy that can fill in on the bottom 6 for injury or match-up just fine. Admittedly, we're going to have the same problem next year, and probably the year after that, too...

Too many good forwards!

In the Depres for a winger thread I offerd them Panik for him, they seemed to be interested. Only other lighting fan that read this was Robert and he said "God NO"and offered them 2nd+ one of Pyatt,Tyrell or Crombeen (he seems to really hate Crombeen).
I think it would be a great move and think the two are very close in terms of value.

Last edited:

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013

Killorn/Stammer/Marty
Connolly/Flip/Purcell
Palat/Johnson/Panik
Labrie/Thompson/Crombeen
Pyatt/Tyrell

Too many good forwards!

So many young guys on that roster you posted :laugh:

Purcell was with Stammer and Marty last season, what reason should he not be on that line this season?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011

Purcell was with Stammer and Marty last season, what reason should he not be on that line this season?

Purcell moved around a lot. Killorn spent a lot of time on that line, and I think his skillset (North-South puckhound) suits Stammer and Marty better than Purcell does (more of an East-West puck-controller). Purcell is best when the puck is on his stick, which is not the role he would play on a line with Stammer and Marty.

Edit: and I have no problem with the young guys. That's our core now, and that's our identity. If we're going to count on them in two/three years when we expect to be contenders, we better start counting on them now.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Purcell moved around a lot. Killorn spent a lot of time on that line, and I think his skillset (North-South puckhound) suits Stammer and Marty better than Purcell does (more of an East-West puck-controller). Purcell is best when the puck is on his stick, which is not the role he would play on a line with Stammer and Marty.

Edit: and I have no problem with the young guys. That's our core now, and that's our identity. If we're going to count on them in two/three years when we expect to be contenders, we better start counting on them now.

Yeah, Purcell just does a great job of finding Stammer but then again so does Marty.

No issue with a young core, it was more of an observation. It will be interesting to see what we can do this season.

Lord Stan 2020

Elite fan
Jun 29, 2013
New Port Richey Fl
www.facebook.com
In the Depres for a winger thread I offerd them Panik for him, they seemed to be interested. Only other lighting fan that read this was Robert and he said "God NO"and offered them 2nd+ one of Pyatt,Tyrell or Crombeen (he seems to really hate Crombeen).
I think it would be a great move and think the two are very close in terms of value.

My friend I posted a million options to them for despres. The problem is to me Despres is NOT proven yet to be top four or upgrade to either sustr or koekkoek for say next year for us.

He has not proven can be physical and sure as hell has not proven he can score at all.

He has proven he can play smart and has a big body that is all and he is just a 5-6 for us and maybe slightly above aulie right now.

Secondly yes I dislike crombeen:) I have said waste of space. Till I see him start creating scoring opportunities which see with mixture of labrie thompson pyatt but not mixture of crombeen it becomes dump time I will feel that way.

Also dont believe we need him as a heavy or fighter. But I have a different mentality and best two fights ive ever seen were detroit when everyone got involved and only had two real fighters on the team:)

Also everyone says cant have four scoring lines detroit did four dangerous lines which played physical with the russian and grinder lines. Which we can do the same and we have an upgrade to grinder line already with panik palat johnson - killorn.

I will feel more like moving for an unproven despres to me at trade deadline or if could move a malone or purcell till I know what prospects really make it and who does or doesnt cut it?

Now you want some prospects for a yandle done that is proven commodity pmd which we need that guy.

Would again rather move purcell though. I would take niskanen rh pmd? I offered aulie and name a draft round.

Despres comes with questions we got plenty of lh guys I put close or above him in next two years. So why move a connolly or killorn or panik?

I think if didnt have connolly and kucherov point a game guys panik would be the guy to get top line minutes and push that number but love him as a grinder line guy with some power play time mixed in with marty stamkos if malone is injured etc...

Cause bottom line purcell has one elite talent and that is puck carry guy control guy. Not a great passer not a great finisher and we have options that should prove to be a hell of a lot better than him in that regards.

Guys who dont wind up 40 points less than those two.

I personally am hugely interested in seeing what connolly killorn panik and kucherov can do with marty and stamkos? Can this make stamkos the best guy in hockey can we get a line that three guys get like 100 or more points?

I believe so. I think everyone believes stamkos is just a sniper and not elite passer etc.. I think because of line mates he has become that but with another finisher he could all of a sudden end the debate is he better than crosby?

I really see in future a stamkos year with 60 plus 80 with right line guys another scorer with marty or drouin and mixed in with that stuff on power play etc..

We have those pieces finally. Purcell has huge worth but he is not a scorer he is being carried imo. He is ELITE puck handler though just not great passer or shooter or finisher.

I truly believe stamkos is a lot better playmaker than he has ever been allowed to show for tampa so far and think we are going to see that change finally and realize how great of a player he truly is.

Last edited:

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Last Pre-Season game lineup:

Drouin-Stamkis-St Louis
Killorn- Filppula-Purcell
Palat-Johnson-Panik
Brown-Connolly-Kucherov

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas
Cote-Sustr

Lindback

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
My friend I posted a million options to them for despres. The problem is to me Despres is NOT proven yet to be top four or upgrade to either sustr or koekkoek for say next year for us.

He has not proven can be physical and sure as hell has not proven he can score at all.

He has proven he can play smart and has a big body that is all and he is just a 5-6 for us and maybe slightly above aulie right now.

Secondly yes I dislike crombeen:) I have said waste of space. Till I see him start creating scoring opportunities which see with mixture of labrie thompson pyatt but not mixture of crombeen it becomes dump time I will feel that way.

Also dont believe we need him as a heavy or fighter. But I have a different mentality and best two fights ive ever seen were detroit when everyone got involved and only had two real fighters on the team:)

Also everyone says cant have four scoring lines detroit did four dangerous lines which played physical with the russian and grinder lines. Which we can do the same and we have an upgrade to grinder line already with panik palat johnson - killorn.

I will feel more like moving for an unproven despres to me at trade deadline or if could move a malone or purcell till I know what prospects really make it and who does or doesnt cut it?

Now you want some prospects for a yandle done that is proven commodity pmd which we need that guy.

Would again rather move purcell though. I would take niskanen rh pmd? I offered aulie and name a draft round.

Despres comes with questions we got plenty of lh guys I put close or above him in next two years. So why move a connolly or killorn or panik?

I think if didnt have connolly and kucherov point a game guys panik would be the guy to get top line minutes and push that number but love him as a grinder line guy with some power play time mixed in with marty stamkos if malone is injured etc...

Cause bottom line purcell has one elite talent and that is puck carry guy control guy. Not a great passer not a great finisher and we have options that should prove to be a hell of a lot better than him in that regards.

I personally am hugely interested in seeing what connolly killorn panik and kucherov can do with marty and stamkos? Can this make stamkos the best guy in hockey can we get a line that three guys get like 100 or more points?

I believe so. I think everyone believes stamkos is just a sniper and not elite passer etc.. I think because of line mates he has become that but with another finisher he could all of a sudden end the debate is he better than crosby?

I really see in future a stamkos year with 60 plus 80 with right line guys another scorer with marty or drouin and mixed in with that stuff on power play etc..

We have those pieces finally. Purcell has huge worth but he is not a scorer he is being carried imo. He is ELITE puck handler though just not great passer or shooter or finisher.

I truly believe stamkos is a lot better playmaker than he has ever been allowed to show for tampa so far and think we are going to see that change finally and realize how great of a player he truly is.

I have to say... I thought I was a huge homer, but I think you beat me.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England

Disagree, surely by playing in the NHL for 51 games he has proven more than Sustr or Koekkoek has?

He was #5 for Pittsburgh last season. In his first full NHL season. I am a big fan of Sustr and am hopeful with Koekkoek, but how in any way have they proven more than Despres?

Why do fourth liners need to create scoring opportunities?

He is a middleweight fighter/agitator/pk'er. Thats his role, thats what he is there for. If he won't fight who will?

So wait until his value increases? Why?

Why move Malone or Purcell? We need veterans on this team, the rookies aren't magically going to go through all growing pains in half a season!

Why would Phoenix trade prospects for Yandle? Whats in it for them?

You buy a player with question marks and its cheaper or you buy proven and pay the price, thats the option. A player like Despres is intriguing because of the risk reward factor. Whereas Yandle would be outrageously costly.

3 PPG prospects not including Drouin? I think thats slightly excessive given in the last full NHL season only 6 players hit that in the entire league!!

Purcell is a great playmaker, decent option on the PP and great with the puck....that isn't one talent.

In 11-12 Purcell had 65 points, good for 37th in the league (tied with Ovechkin). While Stamkos had 97 points 2nd in league scoring and St. Louis had 74 points good for 18th. I don't think Purcell was being carried.

You realise the last time 3 players broke 100 points was in 09-10? And that was Ovechkin, Backstrom, Crosby and H. Sedin. Elite company. Are you really suggesting 1 of 4 prospects plus Stammer and Marty will all break 100 points (this will have to be in the next couple of seasons as MSL isn't getting any younger)

Marty and Vinny broke 100 in 06-07 and that year they were on fire. I don't see that happening again unless Drouin hits his max and him and Stammer have an incredible year. With their own Prospal on their line. A lot of ifs and maybes. But no way in hell are 3 guys on a line hitting 100 points again in this NHL.

Stamkos has broken 60 goals, we realise he is good. No one is 140 points in this NHL good.

Slightly excessive exaggerations.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Yup, he deserves it. Guy has been a steady rock for the minor league teams. Basically taught the kids how to be pros in Norfolk and Syracuse.

Have a feeling Cooper likes what he sees with him and he could very well end up stealing the 7th spot for himself. Honestly I'm not even upset if he does, sure we have prospects that could feel the role but Cote has busted his ass to get him to this point. If he can play solid defense, I say give it to him.

bassassin

Apr 1, 2008
England
Have a feeling Cooper likes what he sees with him and he could very well end up stealing the 7th spot for himself. Honestly I'm not even upset if he does, sure we have prospects that could feel the role but Cote has busted his ass to get him to this point. If he can play solid defense, I say give it to him.

If it comes at the cost of Barberio or Aulie though?

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Last Pre-Season game lineup:

Drouin-Stamkis-St Louis
Killorn- Filppula-Purcell
Palat-Johnson-Panik
Brown-Connolly-Kucherov

Hedman-Salo
Carle-Gudas
Cote-Sustr

Lindback

That top 9 is so sexy. Malone is ruining everything. :cry:

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
If it comes at the cost of Barberio or Aulie though?

Don't think it will honestly. Aulie has already stapled himself on our lower lines. Barbs....well step your game up kid. Having a Veteran back there who has wen't against the grain and found himself a spot on the team could be a good thing, especially for a young club like ours. Just my two cents.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
I think Cote has more value continuing to be a player-coach in Syracuse especially with 4 new rookies Sustr, Sergeev, Witkowski, and Nesterov unless he can be an impact player here.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I think Cote has more value continuing to be a player-coach in Syracuse especially with 4 new rookies Sustr, Sergeev, Witkowski, and Nesterov unless he can be an impact player here.

Could very well be true, just was saying I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to keep him.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Could very well be true, just was saying I wouldn't be shocked if they decided to keep him.
Yeah, so far everything I've heard from listening to the games on the radio has been positive about him. The one game Espo did with Mishkin, he was very vocal about how much he liked Cote and named him as one of his top 3 players of the night.

If they keep 8 dmen on the roster I could see it working so they don't have to jeopardize losing Aulie or Barberio. Coop said the other day one of the things that would help was the infusion of his guys from Syracuse who already knew the system and were fully committed to it, and how important that was for the others to see how his players bought into it and stay with it and then they would follow. He might of had the Johnson line in mind when he was saying that, but 2 of his captains Cote and Barberio could help do that for the defense.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Yeah, so far everything I've heard from listening to the games on the radio has been positive about him. The one game Espo did with Mishkin, he was very vocal about how much he liked Cote and named him as one of his top 3 players of the night.

If they keep 8 dmen on the roster I could see it working so they don't have to jeopardize losing Aulie or Barberio. Coop said the other day one of the things that would help was the infusion of his guys from Syracuse who already knew the system and were fully committed to it, and how important that was for the others to see how his players bought into it and stay with it and then they would follow. He might of had the Johnson line in mind when he was saying that, but 2 of his captains Cote and Barberio could help do that for the defense.

I agree with this completely. If Cote makes the team, and proves he can be that solid bottom pairing guy, I honestly don't see the negative of bringing him up. If anything he would jump full on board with telling the prospects to "Shut up and get in line!" if they ever start to complain because they believe they should be in the main line up but is stuck in the Cuse. Having a character like a Cote could be huge for the locker room and the culture of the team. It would just emphasize that yes, if you work hard for us you will be rewarded. That and as you said before was an assistant captain for the Crunch so he could very well fill a role in keep the young guns on an even kneel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad