The 2013-14 Training Camp Thread

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
It should be clarified that the roster on the Lightning website does not include the guys from the rookie camp. They'll also be there but you can find them in the group rosters towards the bottom of that page.

related: training camp preview

Last edited:

2016cupwinners

May 2, 2013
Welcome back guys. I hope all the players have a good season, and the fans get a lot of entertainment from watching and talking about it.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

You know tomorrow's training camp as this would be the day I'd be panic exercising.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://tbo.com/sports/lightning/st-louis-confident-lightning-can-contend-20130910/
“I'd like to say I have a few good years left in me, but I don't think — and I don't know if patient is the right word — but I don't feel like I have that much time,'' said St. Louis, who captured his second career scoring title last season. “For me, I hope these guys are ready, and guys are coming into their own ... (because) you want to play in April and May. That's what defines careers, sometimes.''
“To me, when a team is rebuilding, it's more that the young kids are not really ready but you still go with it,'' St. Louis said. “I feel like we have young players, quality players. Those guys when they come into the league at 18 or 19, they are impact players right away. So that doesn't mean you are rebuilding, that means you got better right away. That's the way I look it. I don't look at it that we are rebuilding.”

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
Everything is happening!

7drHiqr.gif

Hockey is slowly, but surely, coming back...and none of that 48 game nonsense this year.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO
Brian Lee and Mattias Ohlund only #tblightning players not cleared for skating; invite goalie Eric Brassard expected to be on ice tomorrow
https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO/status/377852142801149952

Jon Cooper speaks:
The attitude on day one: "Enthusiasm is a great word. You can tell everybody has a little jump in their step. New coaching staff, veterans are invigorated because this is a new era I suppose. And there's a crop of young talent that the organization hasn't seen in quite some time".
On the availability of roster spots: "I think this will be as competitive camp as this organization has seen in some time."
On building versus rebuilding: "I don't like the word 'rebuilding'. Professional sports is a business. If you finish in the bottom half of the standings, you're rebuilding. If you finish in the top half, you're reloading. It all kind of means the same thing; everybody has the same common goal. I can't sit here and say we're rebuilding. We've already built from the ground up. We had a minor league team that had never made the playoffs in their affiliation with the Lightning. Now not only are they making the playoffs on a regular basis, they're making the Calder Cup finals on a regular basis. You have to have prospects to do that. We're able to make trades now. For instance, we give up a bright young prospect in Cory Conacher to pick up a bright young prospect to fill a need in Ben Bishop. Is that rebuilding? I don't know. Maybe it's just building."
http://www.rawcharge.com/2013/9/11/4719538/2013-tampa-bay-lightning-media-day-jon-cooper

Want more from Cooper? Here's more:
"My message to the guys coming in, the rookies, is relax," Cooper said. "You have a chance, but we want you to put your best foot forward. We don't want to have excited energy. We want calm, focused, driven players."
"It's unacceptable where we're at," Cooper said of last season's 28th place finish. "As an organization we're going to do everything in our power to make sure that's the last time we're in that position in the standings.

"It's not a threat, but that's where we're at."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...ening-cooper-begins-to-mold-lightning/2141044

Last edited:

Yzlamic Preacher*

Can't wait to see some footage from training camp once everything starts up fully.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Line rushes:
Erik Erlendsson ‏@erlendssonTBO
Drouin skating with Namestnikov and Connolly, Stamkos and St Louis with Malone during line rushes in first #tblightning main session
Damian Cristodero ‏@LightningTimes
For what it's worth, first line rushes have Malone-Stamkos-St. Louis and Connolly-Drouin-Namestnikov.

Malone:
Malone hopes to rebound from 'awful year'.
Toward that end, he included yoga in his summer workouts.

"It's more about functional movement," he said, "not just the conventional 'get in the gym and see how much weight you can lift.' It's being balanced and feeling good, strong and getting back to being able to move efficiently."
"I'm always going to go out there and finish my checks and stick up for my teammates," he said. "That's something I'll do until my career is over."
"It's very frustrating," Malone said. "You don't want to play like that or be injured. All you can do is prepare for another year. That's why I said I'm excited to go out there and prove myself again.

"I feel the best I have, and that's a good start."
[Cooper:] "If we're going to have success, we're going to need Ryan Malone."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hockey/lightning/malone-hopes-to-rebound-from-awful-year/2141267

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
I hope Malone means every word he's saying and isn't just spouting ********.

This is a much better team with a healthy, productive Malone that's giving full effort.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Filppula, Stamkos, and Malone talk to the media [video]

https://twitter.com/TBLightningFeed
201309121108401380587-p5.jpg

201309121110402350595-p5.jpg

https://twitter.com/LightningTimes
Other than being "more responsible in the defensive zone," Drouin said playing center as opposed to left wing "isn't that much of a change."
More Drouin on playing center: "I'll adjust to that and see where they want me to play. Wherever they put me, I'm fine."
https://twitter.com/erlendssonTBO
Filppula is skating drills with Purcell and Killorn, Thompson is with Palat and Crombeen #tblightning
http://tbo.com/events/lightning-fan...130912/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
The Tampa Bay Lightning will welcome fans back to the Forum with their annual Fan Fest on Saturday.

The free event, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m., features a “battle of the badges” charity game between local firefighters, police officers and Lightning personalities such as team co-founder Phil Esposito and former captain Dave Andreychuck.

Current Lightning players will meet fans and sign autographs in the arena's concourse beginning at 11:45 a.m., while the Lightning Kids Zone will offer face-painting, balloon animals and other activities for young fans.

Discounted Lightning merchandise will be on sale and concessions stands will offer fans discounted food items and free popcorn.

jg39

SFY is great
Aug 16, 2007
NC
I hope Malone means every word he's saying and isn't just spouting ********.

This is a much better team with a healthy, productive Malone that's giving full effort.

Every bit of this. We're not exactly big on Malone these days, and if he can show why he got the contract he got with us, it could really help the team both in the physicality department and on the scoreboard.

Steve Yzerman

A New Season Begins
Mar 11, 2013
Mississauga
"[Cooper:] "If we're going to have success, we're going to need Ryan Malone."

And now we know why Malone wasn't bought out/traded. Why he was put in instead of Pyatt and Pouliot.

Coopers Gum

Extend Andrej Sustr
Mar 6, 2012
water spicket
"[Cooper:] "If we're going to have success, we're going to need Ryan Malone."

And now we know why Malone wasn't bought out/traded. Why he was put in instead of Pyatt and Pouliot.

Yep. Needed that big body I guess. But what good is it when it's either injured or not giving any effort?

Also, Hedman looks to be growing out the hair... We all know what happened when Stamkos grew the hair out... Will we be seeing permanent Hedmonster?

Yzlamic Preacher*

I do not like Michelle...That is the main thing I have taken from 2 days of training camp.

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I do not like Michelle...That is the main thing I have taken from 2 days of training camp.

Came here to post this. :laugh:

Zion (while she had possibly the squeakiest voice of ALL TIME) seemed WAY more enthusiastic than this new chick. She just need to be more natural and energized. Hopefully the staff coaches her up :sarcasm:.

Ready to get the preseason under way here. I cant believe hockey is back. Its been too long. I like my Bucs and Rays, but I love the Bolts.

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Guve that girl a few weeks! At least she looks nice and has a normal voice. She just needs to learn it properly. Right now she trys to make it too right, but that should sattle down and I think we will like her soon and forget about Zions anoying voice.
Trust me :D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad