Speculation: The 12 Homegrown Buffalo Sabres who will be Contributors to a Stanley Cup

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
Forwards
Reinhart
Girgensons
Compher
Baptiste
Lemieux
Fasching
Carrier
Ennis
(Add in 2015 1st picks)

Defensemen
Ristolainen
Zadorov
Pysyk

Goaltenders
Ullmark

Last edited:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Drew Stafford

drew-stafford.jpg

/thread:laugh::laugh:

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
It would actually be pretty awesome if Stafford was one of them. He could be the wiley old veteran that stayed with one team his entire career and won the cup at 35. :laugh:

Dec 8, 2013
Monte Carlo
It would actually be pretty awesome if Stafford was one of them. He could be the wiley old veteran that stayed with one team his entire career and won the cup at 35. :laugh:
Stafford winning a cup here would be a pretty great story with his career ups and downs, and how much he's been dogged on. But, I think odds are he's out of here after this year, no matter what.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Forwards
Reinhart
Girgensons
Grigorenko
Compher
Ennis
Lemieux
Baptiste

Defense

Ristolainen
Zadorov
Myers
Pysyk

Goalie
Ullmark

(only going with guys who are already drafted, not future picks)

CaseyMitts37

Mar 2, 2013
Buffalo
Forwards:
Reinhart
2015 BUF 1st
2015 NYI 1st
Girgensons
Compher
Grigorenko
Lemieux

Defense:
Ristolainen
Zadorov
Pysyk
McCabe

Goalies:
Ullmark

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
BUF 2015 1st
Reinhart
Girgensons
Grigorenko
Compher
Ennis
Lemieux
Baptiste

Myers
Risto
Zads
Pysyk

Not putting a goalie. I think when we're ultimately ready to get over that hump and compete for a Cup, goalie is the last piece we go out and acquire to do so.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Disclaimer: I do think one of Ullmark or Makarov are eventually the guy, but I think we'll look to a veteran to come in, win, and hand over the reins to whomever that may be.

Batch

Bruce Springsteen is my Shidoshi
Sponsor
Apr 15, 2010
Colorado
Forwards:
1st 2015
Reinhart
Girgensons
Compher
Armia
Baptiste

Defense:
Myers
Risto
Pysyk
McCabe
2015 1st

Goalie:
Ullmark

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Disclaimer: I do think one of Ullmark or Makarov are eventually the guy, but I think we'll look to a veteran to come in, win, and hand over the reins to whomever that may be.

Makarov is waiver exempt until the 17/18 and Ullmark is exempt until 18/19.

The do not want to sign a vet goalie long term. That is why I think this season is a competition between Neuvirth and Enroth where the winner gets a contract extension of about 2 yrs that is actually a decent contract which helps them get to the cap floor ($4M+)

If both suck then they sign a UFA for 2-3 yrs (Niemi??) or they could acquire one under contract for 2 or 3 more years in 2015 (Miller ?? :sarcasm: )

I think by 17/18 either Makarov or Ullmark earns the starting job and the other could be back up. This year is when I expect them to have Peterson and Johanssen in Rochester.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Over the years Detroit has converted a few forwards who lose or never lived up to their offensive ability into very good defensive minded forwards with some scoring touch. I think Stafford could end up being a guy like that.

phosphene*

Feb 18, 2014
West Seneca
Over the years Detroit has converted a few forwards who lose or never lived up to their offensive ability into very good defensive minded forwards with some scoring touch. I think Stafford could end up being a guy like that.

We'll hire Babcock once his current contract is up and he'll turn Stafford into a two-way beast. :sarcasm:

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
I'm just gonna meta-comment here between thread starters: I made that "Cup Winning Roster" thread that I think the OP mentioned, where everybody put down altogether too many homegrown Sabres as a projection (including me), and I've gotta say, I'm very glad that this kind of rebuttal is taking place. It has something to do with advancing the conversation around long range planning.

When you go into a rebuild, you have to have this very flexible but also very thoughtful long range plan in mind, I think. That's why I like this kind of thing. You have to have a vision for how you're going to fill lines 1-4 and what it's going to take to get guys into the system that can do that on an elite level over a long period of time.

So my thread (which hasn't gotten nearly the participation that this one gets, props to the OP) kind of asks folks to fill in how close they think we are to being able to fill in all of our needs internally, and this thread asks folks to be realistic about how many we're going to WANT to fill in internally, and basically break it down to the guys who really, might be our best option for their role as opposed to trying to fill in from outside. And I appreciate that. It takes the conversation from, "do we have the guys/a vision for how to get the guys who can slot in throughout a championship lineup" to "which guys are going to really force their way onto that lineup so that we'd never want to move them or replace them from outside."

It's all insanely speculative, and I get why people are averse to that, but I think it's really helpful perspective to at least have in your back pocket as you're going through your tank years: what pieces do we absolutely need, how do we get them, and then once we start accruing them, which will we probably want to keep?

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm just gonna meta-comment here between thread starters: I made that "Cup Winning Roster" thread that I think the OP mentioned, where everybody put down altogether too many homegrown Sabres as a projection (including me), and I've gotta say, I'm very glad that this kind of rebuttal is taking place. It has something to do with advancing the conversation around long range planning.

When you go into a rebuild, you have to have this very flexible but also very thoughtful long range plan in mind, I think. That's why I like this kind of thing. You have to have a vision for how you're going to fill lines 1-4 and what it's going to take to get guys into the system that can do that on an elite level over a long period of time.

So my thread (which hasn't gotten nearly the participation that this one gets, props to the OP) kind of asks folks to fill in how close they think we are to being able to fill in all of our needs internally, and this thread asks folks to be realistic about how many we're going to WANT to fill in internally, and basically break it down to the guys who really, might be our best option for their role as opposed to trying to fill in from outside. And I appreciate that. It takes the conversation from, "do we have the guys/a vision for how to get the guys who can slot in throughout a championship lineup" to "which guys are going to really force their way onto that lineup so that we'd never want to move them or replace them from outside."

It's all insanely speculative, and I get why people are averse to that, but I think it's really helpful perspective to at least have in your back pocket as you're going through your tank years: what pieces do we absolutely need, how do we get them, and then once we start accruing them, which will we probably want to keep?

it does?
so far, it just looks like a "pick 12 players we drafted" thread...

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Interesting idea here, feel I'd like to add:

Reinhart
Girgensons
Ennis
Foligno
Armia
Compher
Lemieux
Baptiste

Ristolainen
Zadorov
Pysyk
McCabe

Just a few notes:

- I'm assuming that the likes of Stafford, Myers, Grigorenko, who are already on the team are traded at some point, as some inevitably will.

- I don't want to add players that don't exist. So while they'd be unlucky if any of next years picks weren't on these lists, I don't think its right to add them yet.

- I don't think any of the goalies currently in the system will be a big part... thats not to say they won't but this is usually something that will get sorted late on in the rebuild.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

The reason why your type of thread hasn't taken off, and this one has, is the details. This board loves details and debating about the details. I've seen few actual long-term models for success. Most "long range plans" are nothing more than what this thread is: an opinion of what players will be on the team in a few years.

"A" long-term model for success, or long-range plan: construct a core of three centers and two defensemen. Lock them up long-term, replace when a suitable replacement comes along and the original core player prices out or declines in play. This model allows a team to ice three solid lines and two pairs. For my model, I prefer one of the centers to be explosive in terms of skating and scoring. I also prefer mobility, two way play, and size is a plus (but not totally necessary, since the rest of the team can be built to compensate).

Draft and develop around those core players. Trade players at the deadline to recycle picks/prospects back into the system. Resign players as situation merits. Once the core is set, spend to the cap to keep the right players around the core. Don't hold on too long - recycling players that price out or decline in play, into picks, is key... as well as player development below the NHL level.

Ozzy77

Sep 16, 2013
If buffalo gets picks #3 and #7 in the next draft do they use those picks to try and trade into top 2?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad