Speculation: The 12 Homegrown Buffalo Sabres who will be Contributors to a Stanley Cup

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I recently looked up the rosters for the last five Cup winners (Chi, Bos, LAK, Chi, LAK) to see how many of the contributors (13 or more playoff games) were players that the team drafted or signed as undrafted FA’s. On average, there were 9-10 players on each team that fit that description, with the last two years yielding 12 for Chicago and 11 for LAK—this was a quick review, so those numbers may be off by one either way.

Here’s the challenge: pick the 12 players you think have been or will be drafted by the Sabres when they (hopefully) win a Stanley Cup. I understand that the Sabres will have had more early picks than those teams, so there may be a greater probability of drafted players on that roster—stop fighting the hypothetical. You get 12, and that may be excessive given that only one team (’12-’13 Blackhawks) have had that many. And you can include yet-to-be-drafted players (e.g., 2015 BUF 1st).

Also, just a reminder that those drafted players were not simply comprised of players drafted in the first two rounds or high in the 1st round. Cam Barker (3rd overall) and Jack Skille (7th overall) were not contributors to either Blackhawks Cup. Nor were Mark Stuart (21st), Matt Lashoff (22nd), Phil Kessel (5th), Zach Hamill (8th), and Joe Colborne (16th) contributors when Boston won the Cup—and I’m being generous by including Seguin as a contributor to that Cup team, as well. Ditto LA with Lauri Tukonen (11th in 2004), Bernier (11th in 2006), Hickey (4th in 2007), and Teubert (13th in 2008). In other words, it may not be wise to simply list our top draft picks over the last couple years. Some will bust—gasp!—and some will get traded for talent that may help us win a Cup.

So, who are your 12 homegrown guys who’ll be wearing a Buffalo Sabres jersey if/when they win a Cup? Please note that since Carrier and Fasching were not drafted by Buffalo, they should not be on the list.

(Note: Each team won with a goaltender they drafted (Quick, Crawford), or who got his first NHL contract from that team (Niemi, Thomas)—something to consider. I’m guessing that makes Ullmark a shoo-in in most posters’ 12.)

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I'll take a stab:

Forwards

Reinhart
BUF 2015 1st
Girgensons
Compher
Baptiste
Lemieux
Foligno
Kea

Defensemen

Ristolainen
McCabe
Pysyk

Goaltenders

Ullmark

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
To add some extra info to your thread

yNwxGrb.png

You can definitely see how important replacing from within is after an initial Cup win and the inevitable roster purge due to the cap. Both the Hawks and Kings won with more homegrown talent the 2nd time around.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Forwards

Reinhart
BUF 2015 1st
Girgensons
Compher
Baptiste
Lemieux
Kea

Defensemen

Ristolainen
Zadorov
McCabe
Pysyk

Goaltenders

Ullmark

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting idea...

Ullmark

Ristolainen
Zadorov
McCabe

Reinhart
McDavid/Eichel
Girgensons
Compher
Fasching
Baptiste
Lemieux
Kea
Foligno

Hmmmm.... I didn't have Ullmark. But adding him makes 13.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Forwards

Reinhart
BUF 2015 1st
NYI 2015 1st
Girgensons
Ennis
Foligno

Defensemen

Ristolainen
Myers
McCabe
Zadarov
Pysyk

Goaltenders

Ullmark

EDIT: Forgot Foligno.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I'll take a stab:

Forwards

Reinhart
BUF 2015 1st
Girgensons
Compher
Baptiste
Lemieux
Foligno
Kea

Defensemen

Ristolainen
McCabe
Pysyk

Goaltenders

Ullmark

You don't see Zadorov being in there?

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Reinhart
2015 1st
Grigs
Girgs
Ennis
Baptiste
Armia

Ristolainen
Pysyk
McCabe
Myers

Makarov

FamilyGuy716

Jun 15, 2011
Amherst NY
Forwards

Reinhart
BUF 2015 1st
Girgensons
Compher
Lemieux
Baptiste

Defensemen

Myers
Ristolainen
Zadorov
McCabe
Pysyk

Goaltenders

Ullmark

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I don't think the term "homegrown" should be exclusive to players who never had their rights held by another team. Guys like Fasching and Carrier should 100% count. I'll make a list later in accordance w/ the OP.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
2015 Buff 1st
2015 NYI 1st
Reinhart
Girgensons
Grigorenko
Armia
Compher

Risto
Zads
Pysyk
Myers

Ullmark

It's hard since we're talking anywhere from four to seven years in the future. Anyone on the list could be traded and there's a handful of guys that could make the list or get bumped up as other players leave.

Most on the board will know who was drafted off the top of their head but here's a list of likely (but not exhaustive) players that you can choose from:
Ennis, Stafford, Foligno, Kaleta, Reinhart, Girgensons, Flynn, Grigorenko, Baptiste, Schaller, Adam, Kea, Catenacci, Possler, Sundher, Lemieux, Cornell, Karabacek, Hurley, Bailey

Myers, Weber, Risto, Zads, McCabe, Ruhwedel, Pysyk, Gautheir-Leduc, Austin, Martin, Florentino,

Enroth, Ullmark, Lieuwen, Makarov,

2015 1st Buffalo, NYI, St. Louis, 2015 2nd Buffalo, NYI, any other upcoming draft selection

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Ok, take Fasching out if that is the spirit of the thing. That leaves 12 on my list. What say you Zip? This is your dog days of August exercise.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
2015 Buff 1st
2015 NYI 1st
Reinhart
Girgensons
Grigorenko
Larsson
Compher

Risto
Zads
Pysyk
Myers

Ullmark

It's hard since we're talking anywhere from four to seven years in the future. Anyone on the list could be traded and there's a handful of guys that could make the list or get bumped up as other players leave.

Larsson was traded for.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
Forwards

Reinhart
BUF 2015 1st
NYI 2015 1st I think it will be a 7-10 pick.
Girgensons
Compher
Baptiste

Defensemen

Ristolainen
Zadorov
McCabe
Pysyk

Goaltenders

Ullmark
Lieuwen

I think Ullmark and Lieuwen will eventually be our long term tandem when we are a contender.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Interesting idea...

Ullmark

Ristolainen
Zadorov
McCabe

Reinhart
McDavid/Eichel
Girgensons
Compher
Fasching
Baptiste
Lemieux
Kea
Foligno

Hmmmm.... I didn't have Ullmark. But adding him makes 13.

You can remove Fasching. He was drafted by LA.

I don't think the term "homegrown" should be exclusive to players who never had their rights held by another team. Guys like Fasching and Carrier should 100% count. I'll make a list later in accordance w/ the OP.

It was more for simplicity's sake than anything. One could argue that Sharp didn't get his opportunity until he was traded to Chicago, and the Hawks are largely responsible for his success. We can nuance the **** out of these hypos, but I went for simplicity.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Ok, take Fasching out if that is the spirit of the thing. That leaves 12 on my list. What say you Zip? This is your dog days of August exercise.

My list is at #2. When I looked at that thread re: Potential Cup Winning Roster, I was startled at how many people had virtually entire rosters of guys we've drafted. That got me wondering how many players were drafted by and contributed to the recent Cup winners. Needless to say, there were far fewer drafted contributors than one may have thought.

This was just to get people thinking. It's tough to look at a prospect you may like--be it Armia, Grigorenko, Zadorov, or whomever--and wonder if he's going to be here if/when your team wins it. It can be tough to reconcile that some of the kids are going to leave the nest before you may be ready for them to do so.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
McEichel
Reinhart
Girgensons
Baptiste
Foligno
Lemieux

Zadorov
Ristolainen
Pysyk

-Had 12, only got to 9. A possible 10th is (2015-1st-nyi or 2016-1st-buf) depending where they fall and who it is (Konecny, for example, is in that group).
-Compher's the only one I'm on the fence about leaving off, the rest I think are good trade bait going forward.
-Goaltending's up in the air.
-Vets will fill the defense after those 3
-We'll move buck for bang with forwards eventually.
-Fasching,Larsson,Carrier were traded for, so I left them out.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
12???

Choosing that many is essentially asking for a top 12 favorite prospects list, isn't it?

It's way too hard to predict which 2nd and 3rd tier prospects will be around in a few years...

Forwards
Reinhart
Girgensons
BUF 2015 1st

Defensemen
Myers
Ristolainen

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
My list is at #2. When I looked at that thread re: Potential Cup Winning Roster, I was startled at how many people had virtually entire rosters of guys we've drafted. That got me wondering how many players were drafted by and contributed to the recent Cup winners. Needless to say, there were far fewer drafted contributors than one may have thought.

This was just to get people thinking. It's tough to look at a prospect you may like--be it Armia, Grigorenko, Zadorov, or whomever--and wonder if he's going to be here if/when your team wins it. It can be tough to reconcile that some of the kids are going to leave the nest before you may be ready for them to do so.

It will be interesting to see how much investment people have in certain prospects when Murray makes a two- or three-asset for one deal to land a specific, meaningful player for the team in the near future. That's what all this stockpiling is about -- having not only positional players growing up into a very good, very deep roster but also the ability to facilitate trades. The locals may get restless... :laugh:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
You don't see Zadorov being in there?

He was the toughest to leave out, and I'm a certified Armia homer. (And it hurt to leave Joel off given that he was Finland's best player virtually every time they played Sweden, performed well in Assat's playoff run, and was then Rochester's best player last postseason--I think he has "it" when the chips are down.) But, in the end, when Tim Murray goes calling for the Evander Kane's of the world--and I use him only for illustrative purposes--I think those other teams are going to want someone like Zadorov. And Tim has guts, and that's what it may take to get those players. We'll see.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Forwards (7)

Reinhart
2015 1st (McEichel)
Girgensons
Compher
Baptiste
2015 1st (if they use him to get a LW snipper)
Armia (though he could be trade bait to acquire a top line winger)

Defensemen (4 of these 5---one will get traded)

Myers
Ristolainen
Zadorov
McCabe
Pysyk

Goaltenders (1)

Ullmark

I do think there will be more than just 12. I see Buffalo having 2 other ELC players on the team for a cup.

As for the idea of home grown talent. I would include players acquired before they even tadted the NHL.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
12???

Choosing that many is essentially asking for a top 12 favorite prospects list, isn't it?

It's way too hard to predict which 2nd and 3rd tier prospects will be around in a few years...

Forwards
Reinhart
Girgensons
BUF 2015 1st

Defensemen
Myers
Ristolainen

I don't think so. That's why I pointed out all the 1st rounders drafted in the years before their team won Cups, yet did not contribute to those Cups. Also, I'd imagine that Grigorenko and Armia are in most people's top-12 prospects, but they're being excluded pretty regularly so far.

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
Interesting that half of folks so far don't have Myers.

I think Risto will prove to be our #1D in the next couple of years and that will make Myers expendable. If our pick is third this year and we select Hanifin, it'll make Myers even more expendable to get a proven offensive player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad