Speculation: The 12 Homegrown Buffalo Sabres who will be Contributors to a Stanley Cup

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Girgensons
Buf 2015 1st round
Ny 2015 1st round
Reinhart
Grigorenko
Hodgson
Compher
Baptiste

Myers
Risto
Zadorov
Pysyk

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Alright, I'll give this a shot:

Forwards:
Reinhart
Girgensons
BUF 2015 1st
Compher
Lemieux
Kea

Defense:
Myers
Risto
Pysyk
McCabe
Zadorov

Goalie:
Ullmark

Thank goodness that Carrier and Fasching don't count for this exercise. Baptiste was a painful one to leave out.......but if he shows again this year, he goes in and either Kea or Foligno goes out.

krt88

Jun 19, 2002
Fayetteville, NC
cybionscape.com
I'll take a stab:

Forwards

Reinhart
BUF 2015 1st
Girgensons
Compher
Baptiste
Lemieux
Foligno
Kea

Defensemen

Ristolainen
McCabe
Pysyk

Goaltenders

Ullmark

so they'll be winning the cup in 2020/21?

Lemieux, Kea and Compher aren't gonna play with the Sabres until 2018/19.

BL and JTC aren't gonna be pros until 20-16/17, and then they'll need time in the minors.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
why all the love for Kea?

He's very big and skates very well. He's a good defensive player and I think he'll get better as he fills out more. He seems like a reasonably safe bet to be a legit NHL-caliber bottom 6 player defensively, but it remains to be seen how much offense he can bring or if it'll be enough to allow him to fit what the team wants. He lacks the ceiling of most of our other prospects as I'd say there's zero chance he becomes a second-line player, but he also projects better to a specific NHL role than a lot of those guys.

Compare him to fellow 2012 draftee Radek Faksa, a guy drafted one spot before Zemgus who many preferred to Zemgus or even Grigorenko. In their post-draft years, Faksa scored 31 points in 39 games (0.79 PPG) while Kea scored 48 in 68 (0.70). That's a gap to be sure, but not a huge one considering the difference in prospect quality. Last year, Kea scored 49 points in 58 games (0.84) to Faksa's 48 in 59 (0.81). Over the past two seasons, Kea has scored 44 goals in 126 games (0.35) to Faksa's 30 in 98 (0.31). There are many factors in play of course, but the point is that while Faksa's stock has dropped, Kea's has risen to the point where they're not all too far apart. Neither is ever going to be a top 6 player, but both have fair shots at thriving in NHL bottom 6's.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I don't think so. That's why I pointed out all the 1st rounders drafted in the years before their team won Cups, yet did not contribute to those Cups. Also, I'd imagine that Grigorenko and Armia are in most people's top-12 prospects, but they're being excluded pretty regularly so far.

How did you determine that armia:grigs wouldn't be part of your 12, but Baptiste/compher/Lemieux would?

Seems random and arbitrary

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
In comparing to cup winners, we should probably level set for volume of draft picks (1st and 2nd)

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
How did you determine that armia:grigs wouldn't be part of your 12, but Baptiste/compher/Lemieux would?

I think this is more of a list of "prospects who you think will do well in the playoffs". That may be why you see more of Kea, Compher and Lemieux and less of Armia or Grigorenko.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Forwards
Girgs
Reinhart
Foligno
Lemeiux
Buff 2015
Compher

Defense
Risto
Zads
Pysyk
Myers
McCabe

Goalie
Ullmark

I'm staying away from RW. Fasching, Baptiste, Armia, K-Sec, Bailey, and then Compher, Coho and Cornel all shoot right. I went with Compher because he can play wing and center.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I think this is more of a list of "prospects who you think will do well in the playoffs". That may be why you see more of Kea, Compher and Lemieux and less of Armia or Grigorenko.

I think it's just the general perception that 2 way type forwards are safer bets than guys whose game relies entirely on offensive production... And the realization that those 2 way guys who have that grind it out mentality... Are more valuable in the playoffs than the 1 dimensional offensive guy... All due respect to Marian Gaborik not withstanding

Last edited by a moderator:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Sure, why not?

Reinhart
Girgensons
2015 1st(s)
Compher
Grigorenko
Lemieux
Foligno

Myers
Ristolainen
McCabe
Zadorov

Ullmark

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Forwards: Girgensons, McEichel, Reinhart, Compher, Grigorenko (interesting how many people don't see him around), NYI 1st (Zacha?), Armia

D-men: Myers, Zadorov, Ristolainen, Pysyk

Goaltender: Ullmark

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
I think it's just the general perception that 2 way type forwards are safer bets than guys whose game relies entirely on offensive production... And the realization that those 2 way guys who have that grind it out mentality... Are more valuable in the playoffs than the 1 dimensional offensive guy... All due respect to Marian Gaborik not withstanding

Still the concept of the thread is pretty pointless.

Patrick Kane and Evgeni Malkin too.

You can't rely solely on offense-only types, but when they are complemented with 2 way guys (like Toews/Hossa, or in our case Reinhart/Girgensons/Compher/etc) a guy like Grigorenko could be extremely valuable in the playoffs.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

I get your point, but Armia wouldn't be on your list of playoff performers? He usually goes to a different level in playoff series. Especially in terms of effort and defense.

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
15 buf first
16 buf first
15 nyi first
Reinhart
Girgensons

Myers
Ristolainen
Zadorov

Nobody else. Trade bait or just meh players.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
so they'll be winning the cup in 2020/21?

Lemieux, Kea and Compher aren't gonna play with the Sabres until 2018/19.

Kea starts his ELC this so in 17/18 he needs to be part of the Sabres or has to clear waivers.

Lemieux stars his ELC likely in 16/17...I would expect to see him on the Sabres in 17/18 with call ups.

Compher I expect him to turn pro after this NCAA season but if not for certain iafter his junior year in 16/17 he is part of Buffalo. If he turns profor 15/16 I expect him to be a call up in 16/17 and earn a spot in 17/18.

why all the love for Kea?

potential---I need to see something from him before I give him such love.

I think Armia and Grigs could be trade bait to acquire a missing piece.

PunchImlach is Alive

Jul 15, 2014
Brooklyn, NY
Drew Stafford

drew-stafford.jpg

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
12???

Choosing that many is essentially asking for a top 12 favorite prospects list, isn't it?

It's way too hard to predict which 2nd and 3rd tier prospects will be around in a few years...

Forwards
Reinhart
Girgensons
BUF 2015 1st

Defensemen
Myers
Ristolainen

That's my list. Also my future projected core.

Havok89

Oct 26, 2010
Eichel
Reinhart
Girgensons
Grigorenko
Compher
Foligno
Baptiste

Ristolainen
Zadorov
McCabe
Pysyk

Ullmark

ZeroPT*

2015 pick
Reinhart
Girgensons
Compher
Grigorenko
Risto
Zadorov
McCabe
Baptiste or Armia
Myers
Foligno
Kea

I would insulate Ullmark but goalies at super unpredictable. Carrier,Fasching, Larsson and Hodgson will be important too imo.

Bps21*

I assume we are allowed to use the 2015 picks acquired by trade right? I mean Girgensons and zadorov are from picks acquired in trade too...so I guess we have to.

Reinhart
Girgensons
Compher
BUF 2015 1st
NYI 2015 1st
Lemieux
Ennis

Ristolainen
Zadorov
Pysyk
McCabe

Ullmark (big believer)

I couldn't put Myers because I think Murray would move him if he got a good offer. I don't think he'd move ristolainen for a great offer...so that's the difference to me. I used Ennis because I think a battle between he and hodgson will become a thing and Ennis will win it. Our pick this year is going to be stupid high. The islanders more towards the middle...but in this draft? That's a piece. I was tempted to throw our 2016 1st on the list because, while we will be better, it's not hard to envision a pretty decent pick that year before we take off the next season..but I passed since I could get to 12 without it. Crazy that I could do it without one of my top few personal prospects (fasching) being allowed. Didn't use armia or grigorenko because who knows...and I didn't need to. If one or both pan out though? Jesus Christ... Baptiste, Hurley, Bailey, cornel, carrier... Jesus Christ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad