The 10 Current Youngest Teams: Which team will be the first to win a cup?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
New Jersey. They’re the deepest with their core being the youngest. Rangers aren’t doing it and their window is closing due to the ages of Panarin and Kreider. They also don’t develop prospects.

Rangers just about made it to the cup final last year, their window is far from being closed any time soon.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
1. NJD
2. NYR
3. LAK

Are my top 3 guesses

After that

BUF/OTT/EDM/CBJ

Rounding out with DET/MTL/ARZ

I think I'm way higher on CBJ than most, and EDM has the sort of roster that can just 'get there' at any given point. NJD is such a strong team, they could win this year without surprising anyone.

Reactions: xigon

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
It would seem to be imo, NJ or NYR but something seems to be up with Rangers this year - even with an elite goalie...I think they need to get rid of Gallant.
Buffalo is a dark horse for me if they figure out their goaltending.
I also think Montreal's right there if they do their sell-off, this March and finally
rid themselves of byron, Drouin, hoffman and Dadonoff etc..this summer
AND have a great draft with their two 1st rounders.

Last edited:

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
Very impressed with the Sabres young core. They just need to add depth. Wouldn't be surprised if they won it all as soon as next year.

Reactions: Blowfish

Dust

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2016
Has to be the Rangers for me, they are the only team on that list that has an elite goaltender. New Jersey doesn't seem far off, Edmonton has the firepower up front, but really it could be any of the 5 playoff teams, just takes them heating up at the right time.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Average age is not a great way to judge how young a team is. I would use Logarithmic average instead.

Example:

21, 23, 22, 38, 31, 24, 25, 33, 19 has avg 26.22 and logarithmic avg of 25.59.

26, 26, 26, 25, 25, 27, 23, 32, 26 has avg 26.22 and logarithmic avg of 26.13.

Their averages are identical, but the first team is pretty clearly younger(average's inflated by a couple of vets), and its logarithmic average indeed is much lower.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
The homer in me wants it to be Edmonton but I'd have to go with the Rangers.

My sleeper team is whoever drafts Bedard.

The team I want to win outside of Edmonton would be Buffalo.

Reactions: Gosabres08

GOALOFSSON

Game Changer
Jun 6, 2018
Aspland
Only other teams maybe in consideration would be Edmonton and Buffalo. But both of those franchises have been so dysfunctional for so long, I can’t in good faith put them on the list lol

I wouldn't factor that into the Buffalo equation anymore. On paper we're up there with anyone going forward.

Rangers AINEC

pfffff Rangers AINEC

If they don't win this year it'll be more than close.

New Jersey. They’re the deepest with their core being the youngest. Rangers aren’t doing it and their window is closing due to the ages of Panarin and Kreider. They also don’t develop prospects.

Not sure how much deeper/younger they'll be over Buffalo.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
It will never be a Canadian team.

I’ll go with Buffalo. Their core is more balanced, forwards : defencemen.

Of course I would love it to be the Oilers but I just don’t see it. I’d be OK with the Sabres finally winning a Cup. Their fans have suffered enough.

Reactions: Blowfish

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
As a rangers fan that doesn’t get to see that much of them, I dont know that it’s coaching or personnel, but there’s just too much time in games (I’ve seen) where Shesty is the major part of the win and the team seems to watch and stand around.

Strange team

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Very impressed with the Sabres young core. They just need to add depth. Wouldn't be surprised if they won it all as soon as next year.
Unless Buffalo goes deep this year, I think the chances of Buffalo winning the cup next year is highly unlikely. Cup winners almost always have to suffer heartbreak first before they win it all.

ES

Feb 14, 2004
Finland
Hughes-Hischier is such a good combination with relatively low cap hits so I say Devils.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I like what's happening in LA. They also have plenty of value to go for a big piece (or another one since they got Fiala). Let the team grow, get them a goalie, and they'll be a real good team.

AvalancheRy

Feb 13, 2009
It's hard not to see Edmonton winning, just because McDavid is the one player you'd want on your team if building a team for a cup run. How an org wouldn't build a team to get that done at least once within the next 3-4 years is frankly hard to believe. Like you almost have to intentionally screw it up.

I think Buffalo and NJ are a few years from being serious contenders, similar to the Avs from 3-4 years ago, but they could do it. I think NYR need some of these young players to legitimately break out, and then they could do it.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
NJ or NYR, could be either IMO. I will say I believe NYR are close to their peak and where as NJ seems to just be getting started. I think Buffalo will be good but they need a couple more years of sustained good performance before serious consideration.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
It's hard not to see Edmonton winning, just because McDavid is the one player you'd want on your team if building a team for a cup run. How an org wouldn't build a team to get that done at least once within the next 3-4 years is frankly hard to believe. Like you almost have to intentionally screw it up.

I think Buffalo and NJ are a few years from being serious contenders, similar to the Avs from 3-4 years ago, but they could do it. I think NYR need some of these young players to legitimately break out, and then they could do it.

Devils are the 2021 Avs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad