Player Discussion Thatcher Demko

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Demko plays tomorrow and I would play him either half the game or 2 periods on Thursday just to help find his rhythm, although could backfire in a game that means nothing for anyone and a defensive environment that may not be the greatest.

If they only play him 2 periods something is seriously wrong with him and we are screwed for playoffs.

Have him play both games to find the rhythm.

AD16

Aug 6, 2020
TBH, overthinking it.
He's been out for a month. He's not going to get burnt out by an extra 20-30 mins of game.
Yeah fair. I more so meant from the perspective of potential injury in the last period of a mean nothing game as opposed to the increased workload. Maybe you get him in there just so he can have some more game time to build his rhythm.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Will easily be the most Important player for the Canucks in the playoffs. Demkos play will decide how far the team goes in the playoffs. Hopefully Demmer is 100% and ready to go.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Funny is different than amusing. But you may fall into that category as well. With the name Munchkin as part of your handle it’s safe to assume you are vertically challenged. Am I way off base here?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Funny is different than amusing. But you may fall into that category as well. With the name Munchkin as part of your handle it’s safe to assume you are vertically challenged. Am I way off base here?
What is even going on here

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I know that he fell out of Vezina contention with the injury but do you guys think he can still sneak in as a finalist? I was looking at the goalie stats last night and he's honestly still easily a top 3 candidate. Of all the goalies in the top 15 or so in minutes played he, Hellebuyck and Bobrovsky are the ones who stand out above the rest. It's not like Demko dropped too far in the games played category and and he's still got the 5 shutouts while being near the top on wins. It's all there, injury or not.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
He can get through the end of the season with pain killers but at a cost of a future surgery. He might even excel with that help of being pain free during a game.
Ding
The media is now starting to talk about how the Canucks can get by without Demko.
Ding, ding
I think Tocchet started teaching a much more defensive approach game because of the (possible) severity of Demko's injury.
This change is evident by shots on goal allowed. They started to play a lock down game limiting shots against.
They might have done this anyway to prepare for playoffs but with a possible extended Demko absence a defensive structure become much more necessary.
Ding, ding, ding
Uhhhh. Time to back away from your computer. Maybe go take a walk. This is unsubstantiated nonsense not based in reality.
Oh My.

Not too much a surprise to me, his missing the rest of the playoffs or just being injured.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
1713896314190.png

Reactions: Caspian

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The name comes from a very old video game.

So rather than being short, I guess it means Im old?

You are one weird boy.

On topic;

This sounds bad.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
I do wonder how tolerant management will be with with Demko's durability or ability to stay healthy.

An anonymous league executive two years ago told Frank Seravalli that they'd trade Demko now because he wouldn't hold up.

And that same year, Elliotte Friedman reported that the Canucks did not regard Demko as a sacred cow within the organization.

Two years ago. When the cnaucks weren’t competitive whatsoever ? Not a wild idea to trade someone they don’t think will make their competing window

Reactions: bh53 and B-rock

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
It'll never happen but I'd like to see a platoon approach next season and heavily manage Demko's workload during the regular season. It's so stupid to ride an injury prone goaltender into the ground and then not have him available for the playoffs.

Markstrom needed his workload managed and we never learned our lesson (nor did the flames) so I'm not going to hold my breath that we do this for Demko.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Two years ago. When the cnaucks weren’t competitive whatsoever ? Not a wild idea to trade someone they don’t think will make their competing window
And there were murmurs of him being unhappy as well.

It'll never happen but I'd like to see a platoon approach next season and heavily manage Demko's workload during the regular season. It's so stupid to ride an injury prone goaltender into the ground and then not have him available for the playoffs.

Markstrom needed his workload managed and we never learned our lesson (nor did the flames) so I'm not going to hold my breath that we do this for Demko.
Drance has been making arguments that VAN should go after the best backup on the market, even in the 3.5+ range

I was kinda into it as a hot take, and it doesn’t seem hot anymore

Reactions: mriswith

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
You are still talking absurdly unsubstantiated nonsense. Predicting a hockey player is going to get injured is like claiming it’s going to rain in Vancouver.
Do you know ANYTHING about hip injuries at all?

Any damaged hip operated on is subject to Osteoarthritis which deteriorates the joint. Weakens it. It can pop in and out easier.

It can be numbed with injections or pain killers but will be incredibly painful once they wear off..

Playing cannot damage it more if surgery is indicated.

Have you seen him limp? Favour one leg or the other like a knee might cause.

If you are going to critique my post at least read Wikipedia about hip joint issues and procedures.

And saying arthritis will get worse is hardly predicting, it is assured, they haven't found a cure for it and he had the same procedure Schnieder did.

And do you really believe a professional competitive hockey team would tell the world what the real injury until they have to?

"hey a contact game, he hurt his right foot"

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Do you know ANYTHING about hip injuries at all?

Any damaged hip operated on is subject to Osteoarthritis which deteriorates the joint. Weakens it. It can pop in and out easier.

It can be numbed with injections or pain killers but will be incredibly painful once they wear off..

Playing cannot damage it more if surgery is indicated.

Have you seen him limp? Favour one leg or the other like a knee might cause.

If you are going to critique my post at least read Wikipedia about hip joint issues and procedures.

And saying arthritis will get worse is hardly predicting, it is assured, they haven't found a cure for it and he had the same procedure Schnieder did.

And do you really believe a professional competitive hockey team would tell the world what the real injury until they have to?

"hey a contact game, he hurt his right foot"

Stop pretending you're a doctor because you read a Wikipedia page.

It just sounds like you're describing the average 60 year old woman on the challenges arthritis will pose in their life.

Demko is not immune to arthritis or bone deterioration but he's a professional athlete >30 that excerises and stretches his muscles, joints, etc far more than the average person. So again, let's not pretend reading Wikipedia on arthritis is some sort of trump card.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I'm no clairvoyant, but just had a feeling Demko wouldn't last between the pipes in these Stanley Cup playoffs. An injury serious enough to keep him out for four weeks, doesn't just miraculously go away.

So it's the next man up with DeSmith. But as soon as he falters they'll turn to Silovs. And maybe he can re-capture the magic of last spring's fairytale ride with Latvia at the World Hockey Championships.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I know there is a lot of panic, but you have to stick with Demko at this point. He's making 5 million so it's not like he's breaking the bank of your cap. The Canucks only have Silovs and Young in the system, neither are projected to be starters.

Unless the Canucks get another starter via trade (unlikely), or draft one (won't be ready in time). You have to stay with Demko and hope he can ride it out. For all we know it might just be day-to-day.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I know there is a lot of panic, but you have to stick with Demko at this point. He's making 5 million so it's not like he's breaking the bank of your cap. The Canucks only have Silovs and Young in the system, neither are projected to be starters.

Unless the Canucks get another starter via trade (unlikely), or draft one (won't be ready in time). You have to stay with Demko and hope he can ride it out. For all we know it might just be day-to-day.
Im sort of surprised at how much people are saying that we "rushed him back." It's such a stupid uninformed thing to say (and so obviously its coming from dumbass Oiler fans); if anything, I feel like we've been being pretty cautious with him. Whatever is currently ailing him is something he obviously *can* play through, given he skated with it, but the Canucks aren't going to have him doing so unless its really do or die, and even then, they may prioritize his long-term health over this years playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad