That which must not be spoken: Stastny's future

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
How many goals did he score in his last 9 games with us last season?

You've got to be kidding. Jamie isnt being paid 6.6 mill and he isn't being counted on to be a primary offensive threat.

While I was sold on him being a 30 goal scorer like a lot of poster here, he should still IMO hit 20.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Ya, when he has been weak for two seasons too we will talk.

Ginner has been weak for 4 games.

Stastny has had one bad calendar year. That's it. The last half of the 2010/2011 season and beginning of 2011/2012. He ended last season on a strong note. He's been creating chances. It's not his fault he's playing with a useless bum and a scrub. Give him a goal scorer and he'd have 4 or 5 assists already.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
How many goals did he score in his last 9 games with us last season?

First of all. Why does his last nine games mean much more than his first eight? 7 goals in his first 8 games doesn't mean anything since he only had 1 in 9 games after that?

Besides. McGinn is expected to be a 20 goals per season winger and is being paid 1.75M per season to do so.

Stastnys expectation are obviously miles higher and he should be a PPG player with that contract and he has proved he can be that earlier.

Stastnys contract situation is obviosuly creating this discussion, he is a UFA after next season if he doesnt accept to lower his salary ALOT. And that's why we have a trade discussion.

I dont see why Jamie McGinn who is expected to be a 2nd/3rd line winger and get maybe one goal every fourth game gets brought in to the debate as someone which should "rather trade". He still has 8 goals in his 21 games for the Avs which is well enough for being on a 1.75M contract.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Why is it that everyone nitpicks Stastny to death, throws him under the bus, blame seemingly everything on him, then suggest we could get a top pairing Defensemen for him in a trade?

If he were as bad as some of you make him out to be nobody in their right mind would send us a #1 or #2 Defensemen for him.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
If Mcginn is being placed on the second line, REGARDLESS of dollars, he's expected to score. Something he hasn't done once this season, and once, in his last 9 games last year.

Not good enough.

You all know Stazz is my favorite player in the league, and I agree he needs to do much, much more, as does Jones.

The problem with that line, is it's lacks too much consistency, passion and ability. Being average to below average is far too ok with the players, and our team.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
What's strange is, ever since he switched from wood to a graphite stick for the 10-11 season, his numbers have been worse, not sure if the stick has something to do with it

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
First of all. Why does his last nine games mean much more than his first eight? 7 goals in his first 8 games doesn't mean anything since he only had 1 in 9 games after that?

Besides. McGinn is expected to be a 20 goals per season winger and is being paid 1.75M per season to do so.

Stastnys expectation are obviously miles higher and he should be a PPG player with that contract and he has proved he can be that earlier.

Stastnys contract situation is obviosuly creating this discussion, he is a UFA after next season if he doesnt accept to lower his salary ALOT. And that's why we have a trade discussion.

I dont see why Jamie McGinn who is expected to be a 2nd/3rd line winger and get maybe one goal every fourth game gets brought in to the debate as someone which should "rather trade". He still has 8 goals in his 21 games for the Avs which is well enough for being on a 1.75M contract.

Yep. Stastny shouldn't be making $6,6 million per season with his current play. He's not worth it anymore.

Appleanche

Jan 15, 2013
Asheville, NC
If Mcginn is being placed on the second line, REGARDLESS of dollars, he's expected to score. Something he hasn't done once this season, and once, in his last 9 games last year.

Not good enough.

You all know Stazz is my favorite player in the league, and I agree he needs to do much, much more, as does Jones.

The problem with that line, is it's lacks too much consistency, passion and ability. Being average to below average is far too ok with the players, and our team.

The problem is McGinn is a career 0.27 PPG player, playing with Jones about a 0.50 PPG, and Stastny is a 0.88 PPG guy.. the parity there is just too much. Jones is acceptable, but McGinn on the 2nd line is ridiculous.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
You guys understand that if McGinn didn't like the ping of the post so much he'd be tied for second in the NHL for goals, right?

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
But he's not. He's last.

I heard of this player named Ovechkin I think? Any ways, he used to be good, but he's only got 1 goal this season. Maybe we should offer Cody McLeod for him since they both have 1 goal.

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
I heard of this player named Ovechkin I think? Any ways, he used to be good, but he's only got 1 goal this season. Maybe we should offer Cody McLeod for him since they both have 1 goal.

Please no. Comparing Ovechkin to Mcginn, is like comparing the literary differences between an episode of Jersey Shore, and the novel, A Tale of Two Cities. :D

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think he misses hes bong buddy Stewart. The elder Stastny already mentioned synergies so I wont but he might have a point. Stastny doesnt seem to do much for a guy who gets 6.6 a yr. He cant make a saucer pass ever. I would be open to trading him for a top 2 dman while he still has some value in this league.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Every game I think i've yelled at Stastny. There were plenty of opportunities which he was in a good position to shoot. Instead he tries to pass and it just turns into an interception.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
How about this idea:

We sign O'Reilly, trade Stastny for #2 defenseman. I think It would upgrade our team. Mitchell can take #3 center duties. Stastny isn't playing with heart anymore and I think change of scenery would benefit Avalanche and Stastny. Done?

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Why is it that everyone nitpicks Stastny to death, throws him under the bus, blame seemingly everything on him, then suggest we could get a top pairing Defensemen for him in a trade?

If he were as bad as some of you make him out to be nobody in their right mind would send us a #1 or #2 Defensemen for him.

At this point clearing up 6 million dollars is good enough. Last year I would've done a couple of those leafs fan proposals too. Now I'm not sure the avs can get even that but who knows a 58 point Gomez got NYR Higgins and Mcdonagh.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
How about this idea:

We sign O'Reilly, trade Stastny for #2 defenseman. I think It would upgrade our team. Mitchell can take #3 center duties. Stastny isn't playing with heart anymore and I think change of scenery would benefit Avalanche and Stastny. Done?

I like this idea. Clearly we need something new on D...Perhaps we can ship off one of our 6 bottom pairing defenseman for something as well...

IMO...SOB..ROB..Zanon..Wilson..Hejda..are all the same type of players...

Decent but not top two and on most teams probably in the bottom pairing. Wilson MIGHT be better than the others and Zanon has an amazing Beard that blocks shots all its own...but we need a top 2. Stastny could be the piece that brings us that.

We could also use a GOOD puck moving Dman...Hunwick isnt it...I dont understand Saccos love affair with him...but hes VERY average and makes a lot of mistakes.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I like this idea. Clearly we need something new on D...Perhaps we can ship off one of our 6 bottom pairing defenseman for something as well...

IMO...SOB..ROB..Zanon..Wilson..Hejda..are all the same type of players...

Decent but not top two and on most teams probably in the bottom pairing. Wilson MIGHT be better than the others and Zanon has an amazing Beard that blocks shots all its own...but we need a top 2. Stastny could be the piece that brings us that.

We could also use a GOOD puck moving Dman...Hunwick isnt it...I dont understand Saccos love affair with him...but hes VERY average and makes a lot of mistakes.

I'd want to keep Zanon, Wilson and Hejda.

Ship Stastny, Hunwick and SOB.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
How about this idea:

Done. I'm done with Stazz.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I'd want to keep Zanon, Wilson and Hejda.

Ship Stastny, Hunwick and SOB.

Im good with that...although I thought at times SOB was a good lockerroom guy...but his play the other night was aweful...

I like him but if we could get a better return...send him as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad